brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stoneyuk

stoneyuk

Cabin : Club

Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence Empty
PostSubject: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:16 pm

Missus and I will be going to Provence for one or two weeks mid/end of June - could be by train, definitely not by plane and maybe, just maybe it could be by campervan. Trouble is, neither of us have any recent experience of driving abroad and thus we are feeling a bit wobbly about doing the van thing, especially as it would be a 1400 mile round trip +/- a couple of hundred miles in other directions.

We are currently comparing costs of train against campervan - i.e. train costs, hire car, hotels on top of already booked Gite. Campervan means, well you can all guess what that means, so ANY ADVICE/TIPS WOULD BE WELCOME!

Needless to say, I will be trawling the forum for advice, tips etc.
Back to top Go down
Bloke_Off_The_Internet

Bloke_Off_The_Internet

PostSubject: Re: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Driving a Kombi in France is absolutely fine and dandy, though a shame you won't be using it to live in too as the whole country seems to be made of camp sites and they're quite often good.

Autoroutes are fast (apart from around Paris and Lyon) but fairly expensive. Country roads are much more interesting, but you'd spend all your time travelling.

We always break the trip somewhere in the middle as it's a flipping long trip at 65mph. Try somewhere in Burgundy maybe?

You'll want to check out the laws on spare bulbs, dayglo jackets, headlight deflectors etc, just to be safe. Cross-channel, Norfolk Line to Dunquerque is nice 'n' cheap but it's a fair way north and east, so the tunnel saves you loads of time.

Hope it helps. Either way, enjoy the trip.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Spare fan belt, a litre of oil, some spare fuses ..... off you go!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Baydreamer

Baydreamer

PostSubject: Re: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 pm

passports, some blankets,charge your leisure battery up fully, sat nav!... lol
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Driving in France is better than uk less traffic better road manors just do it we have driven in France a few times and will be taking the bay this year through France to Spain
Back to top Go down
stoneyuk

stoneyuk

PostSubject: Re: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 am

Cheers all. Your encouragement is very... well, encouraging! Much discussion going on in the stoneyuk household.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence   Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence Empty

Back to top Go down

Travels with my campervan - maybe to Provence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: Out and About in your Brazilian Bus :: Great Bay Trips-
Jump to: