brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Let The Transformation Begin

Go down 
+9
Scooby
kiteman
olive
jboa
dazdub
chairboy_paul
Skytiger
TimV
pastymaster
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
pastymaster

pastymaster

Cabin : Club

Let The Transformation Begin Empty
PostSubject: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:24 pm

I thought I'd start a thread to track the progress on the van with all of the little bits and pieces that we do.

Here is a picture of the van when we joined the forum:

Let The Transformation Begin P4249042

Thanks in advance to everybody that has given us help, advice and ideas of bits and pieces to change Very Happy. After joining up on here it's really brought some of the love back to the bus so we've treated her.

The first 'mod' so to speak was swapping the wipers over to aero wipers. You can see more of that here. I can now report after some driving in the wind and rain that these are a vast improvement from the standard wipers. The real test will be how they get on through the winter but so far so good. Very Happy

As all of the bits and pieces arrived we've started to fit everything.

First of all we needed a bit of inspiration to get started Laughing

Let The Transformation Begin 1-14

After the inspiration we tackled the Danbury decal on the front of the van. After 8 years it was time to go.

It took some heating with a hairdryer to get started but then soon came off. It did leave a bit of glue behind which you can see below. We got rid of it by claying with a clay bar, and then used some quick detailer for the rest:

Let The Transformation Begin P5149122

It worked a treat and is residue free. You would never know it had been there Cool

After that we fitted the pool ball gear stick (blue and white of course Wink):

Let The Transformation Begin 3-10

Followed by the pool ball valve caps (please excuse the dirty wheels Laughing):

Let The Transformation Begin 15

My girlfriend has always liked the the VW bubble head decals so we got some and stuck them to the rear window:

Let The Transformation Begin 5-6

Let The Transformation Begin 4-7

Then we chucked in the new duvet and pillows ready for the next trip out. Everybody's got to love a bit of Family Guy Laughing

Let The Transformation Begin 2-14

After that I fitted the clear front indicator lenses and the orange bulbs. These make a massive difference to the front of the van. They look much much better.

Before:

Let The Transformation Begin 6-6

After:

Let The Transformation Begin 7-6

Then I took the advice of everybody on here and gave the new chrome bits a good layer of wax. Hopefully it will make a difference and keep the chrome looking nice for a while to come.

Swissvax was the wax of choice:

Let The Transformation Begin 10-2

While removing the light surrounds I took the time to swap the bulbs out for the much brighter Osram Night Breaker bulbs which I've used before on another car.

Let The Transformation Begin 12

The bulbs made a fair difference although I'm not sure it captured very well on the photographs. You can see them a bit further down.

I then forced the eyebrows into the chrome rims, I've not bonded them at the moment, although I think I will next weekend just to make sure that they all stay together and don't fall out while on the move.

Let The Transformation Begin 11

I then fitted them, the left one went on first time, the right one took a bit of fiddling to get a proper fit but then I got there in the end.

Before:

Let The Transformation Begin 8-3

After:

Let The Transformation Begin 9-2

You might be able to see the difference in the bulbs now, maybe not to well in the pictures, but they really do make a difference Very Happy

Before:

Let The Transformation Begin 13

After:

Let The Transformation Begin 14

Another shot with the bits changed:

Let The Transformation Begin 16-1

Then I fitted the chrome mirrors. I had to go and buy some washers from B&Q and improvise with removing the huge bolt from the old ones.

Again though, these mirrors make a big difference and really look good Cool

Let The Transformation Begin 19-1

Let The Transformation Begin 20-1

Before:

Let The Transformation Begin 17-1

After:

Let The Transformation Begin 18-1

So that's where we are up to at the moment.

Let The Transformation Begin 21

Quite a difference for very little effort, or spend.

Before:

Let The Transformation Begin P4249042

After:

Let The Transformation Begin 18-1

I think the Dakine decal will have to go though Laughing

I've started to spray the replacement grille, but that needs rubbing down again so it will be a week or two before that's on. Hopefully the new curtains will come over the next few days too. Very Happy

What do you think so far? What should we do next?

Cool

________________________________________________________________________________

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Excellent work guys - really pleased your enthusiasm for your BraziBay has been re-ignited by joining us here. I agree about the front panel Danbury decal - ghastly - Max had one of those - it went on day 1 of ownership!!

Are we going to see you at one of the meets? VW Expo, Camperjam .... Vanfest? Hope so.

Oh and the next mod ....how about AC03 BAY? It's available NOW for £255!

You know it makes sense!

DVLA Cherished Plates

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Let The Transformation Begin Melogo11
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks for the comments guys Very Happy

Clear side repeaters and rear light lenses are definitely on the cards Paul. I think they will make a real difference to the looks Cool

We will definitely be getting a cherished plate too Tim. We've been meaning to get one for a fair while now so it will happen sooner rather than later I think Very Happy

I'll make sure we get to a meet soon. I'll have a look through them and see if we can make one Very Happy

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Looking good! Fairly jealous of the clear lenses, will need to get them sorted for our bus! The chrome mirrors look great, I think it might be wise to start buying shares in Autosol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Laughing Maybe we need to get a group buy going Smile

I got the clear lenses from here.

I think they make the biggest difference to the looks Smile

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:54 pm

You can get the clear lenses from a variety of sources including VW Heritage who sell genuine Volkswagen units. They were fitted to the 50 year anniversary Kombi sold in the home market. I've got them on Max.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 7:59 pm

I did want to get most of the stuff from there but they wouldn't accept Paypal unless it was through eBay which is fair enough.

I had money in Paypal after selling some bits and pieces though so went down that route. Smile

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:03 pm

PS, I think Vanfest will be our first proper meet out of the ones Tim posted. Hopefully we can meet some of you there Smile

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm not 100% sure on the chrome bumpers to be honest. Do you think they would go?

Does yours have a chrome bumper? I can't tell if its chrome or my eyes are dodgy Laughing

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
chairboy_paul

chairboy_paul

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Get Chrome Europas like ive got on Albert, put the deluxe rubbers on them and they look wicked! I know Tim is a fan !!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 16, 2011 10:31 pm

I am a fan, but I've decided to stick with my super-white Brazilian girders as I like my Kombi to remain faithful to some of its Sao Paulo roots (with a bit of tinkering!)

Hence also keeping the new style front grille albeit colour coded.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 30, 2011 4:07 pm

A few more bits and pieces are turning up now:

Let The Transformation Begin Photo-8

Let The Transformation Begin Photo2-1

The grille I bought has been properly rubbed down now, there was 5 different layers of paint on it, green, brown, blue, cream and then white Laughing

All should be good soon. I've just got to order the new seals from Just Kampers.

It's away at the father in laws at the moment addressing a few small rust patches affraid

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon May 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Looks ace good job Smile
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 pm

The curtains have arrived now. They look Cool

Let The Transformation Begin 5-7

Let The Transformation Begin 4-8

It's going to be a busy weekend Smile

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Lots of cool mods going on here pastymaster. When are you actually going to head out on tour in your freshly spruced BraziBay?!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 10:30 pm

It has cost me a small fortune joining here with all of these bits and pieces Very Happy

The first proper run out for ages will be for the F1 at Silverstone in a couple of weeks.

I've never been to a VW meet before though so I need to get down to some for sure. Vanfest is 100% definite.

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Even more goodies now Laughing

Let The Transformation Begin 1-15

Let The Transformation Begin 2-15

New rear light seals:

Let The Transformation Begin 3-11

I'm not sure how this chrome strip will look, but its to protect the edge on the guttering. These might only be on for a minute or two Laughing

Everything's worth a try Smile

Let The Transformation Begin 4-9

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Be careful with the gutter edging - covering them up may trap moisture in rather than locking it out. Check underneath on a regular basis. It'd be interesting to see how you get on.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 7:34 pm

I've not put the gutter edging on yet. I'm still not sure whether its just going to take some of the paint off to be honest.

I'll update on here if we go for it.

On the plus side we've had a busy day fitting some of the new bits and pieces.

Clear side repeaters:

Let The Transformation Begin 1-16

Let The Transformation Begin 2-16

Then I fitted the new rear lights with clear indicator tops:

Let The Transformation Begin 3-12

The seals were completely shot at so I replaced them too.

Let The Transformation Begin 4-10

Let The Transformation Begin 5-8

Let The Transformation Begin 6-7

Let The Transformation Begin 7-7

Then we fitted the new 'old' grille, and cleaned and waxed all behind the grille and spare wheel while everything was off.

Let The Transformation Begin 8-4

Let The Transformation Begin 9-3

Let The Transformation Begin 10-3

Let The Transformation Begin 11-1

After that it was on with some new decals just to add a bit more personality Very Happy

Let The Transformation Begin 12-1

Let The Transformation Begin 13-1

Let The Transformation Begin 15-1

Let The Transformation Begin 16-2

So that's were we are up to again at the moment.

Let The Transformation Begin 14-1

Let The Transformation Begin 17-2

All being well Monday will be a big clean and wax day, as well as fitting the new curtains and possibly the gutter trim.

Very Happy

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
jboa

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Great photos. Love looking at what people have done to their buses.

Looking good pastymaster
Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Like the vanimal decal, where did that come from? You need to remove the Danbury decal on the rear No
Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the comments Very Happy

The vanimal decal came from eBay here. The quality seems pretty good to be honest Smile

I'm not sure about taking that rear Danbury one off, I don't mind it to be honest. It took us 8 years to get rid of the one on the front Laughing

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Lookng good. Can't be much more to do surely. Mind you I'm a fine one to talk What a Face

Let The Transformation Begin Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:45 pm

pastymaster wrote:
I'm not sure about taking that rear Danbury one off, I don't mind it to be honest. It took us 8 years to get rid of the one on the front Laughing

Nope - I agree with olive here - it's got to go. Use a hair dryer to heat and peel it off. Use a few sprays of Halfords Surface Cleaner if necessary to remove any residue and then wax the area like crazy.

The clear/red/clear tail lenses are spot on.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 9:14 am

I think I'm going to be a bit like you Kiteman, never ending mods and changes now I've started. Still, I suppose there's only so much you can change.

It certainly helps in keeping your interest though Very Happy

Time will tell on the decal, but a new registration will be coming soon Smile

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let The Transformation Begin   Let The Transformation Begin Empty

Back to top Go down

Let The Transformation Begin
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: Your Brazilian VW Bay-
Jump to: