www.brazilianvwkombi.com
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
Next club meet: KOMBI Kaper 2017!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!

Share | 
 

 Swivel seat plate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Swivel seat   Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Has anybody installed a drivers side swivel seat base? If so, which one and how easy was it to install?

Cheers

Matt
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

avatar

Cabin : Exec 008
Location : Central Scotland
Posts : 1538
Join date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:47 pm


See my NON VW SEATS thread in General Technical.

Has all the info you need.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

avatar

Cabin : Flight 002
Location : Hampshire
Posts : 2888
Join date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Here's the link

NON VW SEATS

________________________________________________________________________________


Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:19 pm

thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

avatar

Cabin : Exec 008
Location : Central Scotland
Posts : 1538
Join date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Thats what I meant to do.

Thanks Kiteman
Back to top Go down
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Just fitted this swivel seat plate this morning, all in it just took 75mins, I only had to make a couple of slight adjustments with the drill and hacksaw. Once on it makes a great difference to the living area. Worth the £165 I spent with JK.

Back to top Go down
Baydreamer

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : medway kent
Posts : 426
Join date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:10 pm

great work olive. I agree well worth the money and makes it more roomy inside at the back.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

avatar

Cabin : Flight 004
Location : Reading
Posts : 6574
Join date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Great job - very cool & practical Cool

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:34 am

Nice work Dave,very smart...How do you get on with the seat belt fixing...? Do you have to loosen it to swivel the seat...?

Paul
Back to top Go down
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 am

@peppa wrote:
Nice work Dave,very smart...How do you get on with the seat belt fixing...? Do you have to loosen it to swivel the seat...?

Paul

All I did was hacksaw off 15mm of the chrome U shaped piece which holds the belt buckle holder in place. Then when I need to swivel the seat I unhook it from the holder and push it down to allow the chair to swivel around it. It doesnt interfere with the belt on the door pillar at all.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

avatar

Cabin : Business
Location : Bristol
Posts : 1545
Join date : 2009-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm

FYI - If your tall dont forget swivel base plates will add height to the seat....
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Baydreamer

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : medway kent
Posts : 426
Join date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:38 pm

i heard that before but there doesnt appear to be much of a ride height change from the pictures. Whats your view Olive?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I think this shows that a swivel seat is more useful/practical on a LHD.

Tilly is a RHD and had a swivel seat on the driver's side but I had to take it out because a) it was too high for me (I'm 5'9 but was looking out of the front window above the wiper line - would be ok for a passenger though), and b) because the steering wheel makes it a real pain to swivel, requiring lots of forward/back and backrest adjustments to swivel round and then ending up very upright.

I rather wish Danbury had pointed this out to me before I shelled out £lots for it - I can't believe they didn't know, but they were happy enough to take my money.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
avatar

Cabin : Flight 001
Location : Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
Posts : 12205
Join date : 2009-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I ditched my plan to fit a swivel base for this very reason Tilly - looked like a hassle tbh.

So in summary, it's a great addition to a left hooker, but, unless you are vertically challenged - in which case it may be a bonus, it's not so cool for a rhd.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm

@Baydreamer wrote:
i heard that before but there doesnt appear to be much of a ride height change from the pictures. Whats your view Olive?

30mm higher, you dont notice it, I am 5' 11'' and have plenty of room above. and thats even with an additional 10mm of seat foam in the new Newton Commercial covers.
Back to top Go down
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Tilly wrote:
I think this shows that a swivel seat is more useful/practical on a LHD.

Tilly is a RHD and had a swivel seat on the driver's side but I had to take it out because a) it was too high for me (I'm 5'9 but was looking out of the front window above the wiper line - would be ok for a passenger though), and b) because the steering wheel makes it a real pain to swivel, requiring lots of forward/back and backrest adjustments to swivel round and then ending up very upright.

I rather wish Danbury had pointed this out to me before I shelled out £lots for it - I can't believe they didn't know, but they were happy enough to take my money.

£299 from Danbury
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I was quoted £500 by Danbury (!) so went for this one from JK for £165. I presume its the same one as Daves?

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/seat-swivel-plate-j18046.html

After 10 minutes of head scratching I devised a way of fitting it with just the screws and bolts supplied and no drill etc. It doesn't quite swivel the full 180 degrees, more like 170, but its still very useful! My camper is a RHD and its still pretty quick to swivel with not much faffing.

I agree that the height gain isn't much and it wouldn't normally be a problem if I didn't have an external sun visor fitted!!! I love the way the visor looksl but it may unfortunately have to go as i now have no idea when traffic lights turn green until the person behind starts beeping! (I'm also sure it does nothing for my fuel ecomony and starts to wobble alarmingly above 60mph). Oh well!

Dave, how many holes did you need to drill and where?

Matt

Back to top Go down
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:26 pm

mhami wrote:
I was quoted £500 by Danbury (!) so went for this one from JK for £165. I presume its the same one as Daves?

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/seat-swivel-plate-j18046.html

After 10 minutes of head scratching I devised a way of fitting it with just the screws and bolts supplied and no drill etc. It doesn't quite swivel the full 180 degrees, more like 170, but its still very useful! My camper is a RHD and its still pretty quick to swivel with not much faffing.

I agree that the height gain isn't much and it wouldn't normally be a problem if I didn't have an external sun visor fitted!!! I love the way the visor looksl but it may unfortunately have to go as i now have no idea when traffic lights turn green until the person behind starts beeping! (I'm also sure it does nothing for my fuel ecomony and starts to wobble alarmingly above 60mph). Oh well!

Dave, how many holes did you need to drill and where?

Matt

I only had to drill the existing holes at the rear of the runners slightly larger to take the thickness of the bolts provided, I followed Skytigers method. All in there are the two main bolts at the rear and one small one at the front on both runners. I also hacksawed off a small piece of the corner of the plate to enable the chair to fully swivel 180 degrees. Easy job to do and I am not very good with this type of work.
£500 from Danbury is a joke



Back to top Go down
jj123vw

avatar

Cabin : Business
Location : Bristol
Posts : 1545
Join date : 2009-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Matt. We charge £249 (+ vat) including labour / fitting for the proper swivel plate...Not cutting etc required. Not £499......
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:15 pm

@jj123vw wrote:
Hi Matt. We charge £249 (+ vat) including labour / fitting for the proper swivel plate...Not cutting etc required. Not £499......

If you are suggesting that JK are not supplying a'proper plate' I think you will find the plate supplied by JK is a 'proper plate' there is only a slight modification to be made due to the angled bulkhead on the BraziBay which they inform you before you purchase from them. By the looks of it its unlike the one you supply as there is minimal height increase which enables you to still safely see out the windscreen unlike Tilly's bus which you fitted and didnt inform. And yours is nearly double the cost of the JK plate. It took me just over an hour taking my time and I am not a skilled engineer. £299 against £165 Question
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

avatar

Cabin : Business
Location : Bristol
Posts : 1545
Join date : 2009-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:15 pm

The price saving must be due to the fact then that you have to modify the plate to make it fit - as its not specially made for the Brazilian model . They probably also make greater numbers and get the cost down as its for the older model.....simples
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:53 pm

@jj123vw wrote:
The price saving must be due to the fact then that you have to modify the plate to make it fit - as its not specially made for the Brazilian model . They probably also make greater numbers and get the cost down as its for the older model.....simples

Its a universal component produced for a number of VW's, like all motor manufacturing they have universal components to suit various combinations. The price saving is 'simples' your mark up is too high.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi dave

If you get a chance could you please post some more photos showing exactly how you lined up the plate with which holes and how much you had to cut off the corner? No worries if you're too busy!

Many thanks

Matt
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
avatar

Cabin : Flight 001
Location : Leatherhead, Surrey, UK.
Posts : 12205
Join date : 2009-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Without seeing both swivel plates side by side it's impossible, and somewhat pointless to debate this.

I'm going to the Just Kampers' Open Day this Saturday - I'll have a look at one of theirs and photograph it. Jason feel free to send me photos of the swivel plate you supply.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
olive

avatar

Cabin : Club
Location : West Essex
Posts : 918
Join date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Swivel seat plate   Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 pm

mhami wrote:
Hi dave

If you get a chance could you please post some more photos showing exactly how you lined up the plate with which holes and how much you had to cut off the corner? No worries if you're too busy!

Many thanks

Matt

Ita all in here thanks to Skytiger

http://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/t495-non-vw-seats

If this link doesnt work search non vw seats and it will come up.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
 
Swivel seat plate
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: