brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end

Go down 
+17
Dennis
TimV
Hawys0
tjcbhill
MarcusH
neillitesteer
Rachelvw
Tallulah
michel_bonn
dizzylizard
Vladaria
gordonmac
Kaz5997
olive
Scooby
kiteman
Kev
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kev

Kev

Cabin : Economy

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Empty
PostSubject: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Hi All, some of you will know I have had some problems with my steering, the box had a leak and I found day to day driving quite scary at times.

Anyway, I looked at the options available to me at the time, and after reading about the Red9 Design independent suspension kit (see p66 Feb 11 camper & bus) decided to take the plunge and contacted Simon at Red9 Design.

Simon, the Engineer who has designed this system from scratch explained that he had not fitted the Wishbone suspension and rack & pinion steering to a Brazilian. However, he was very optimistic and agreed to take it on as a learning experience. I think we can safely say it was very much a learning experience. Ouch!

Well long story short, and after a few minor adjustments I couldn’t be more pleased, the ride is smooth, handling is brilliant and as for the steering, it’s so sharp you couldn’t imagine, and no play, no more wandering on the motorway even in crosswinds. As one of Simons other customers commented, everyone should sell a kidney and get this done! http://www.red9design.co.uk/index.htm

So…
After a nice cuppa I left Duby at Red9’s workshop in the capable hands of Simon and Trevor (Simons Dad), they were smiling at this point!!!

Simon kindly took some photo's along the way.

In workshop, no turning back…
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05612

Beam off ready for the new kit

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05613

Old beam and linkage so heavy had to use my wheelbarrow when i got it home!

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05710

Steering out
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05614
New servo mount as the Brazi servo is different to the late bay.
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05616
Wishbone ready to bolt on
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05617
Wishbone on!
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05618
Things coming together
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05619
Looking good so far
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05620
New bevel box
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05621
Old and new steering column
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05623
Now the tricky bits!
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05622
All back together, had to have a new steering wheel what a blow;-)
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05624
Duby back from the road test, much lower and driver with the Red9 uncontrollable smile!
New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Dsc05625

So thats the story so far folks.

________________________________________________________________________________
2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Tilly,
the standard costs are on the web site at http://www.red9design.co.uk/index.htm
However, due to the additional fabrication and much longer fitting time i think simon is looking at his pricing for brazi bays...took much longer to do due to our bus's being so much different to the late bay. My choices were much more limited as mine is a rhd Air-cooled, but i do love it.

cheers

________________________________________________________________________________
2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks for posting. It's good to know it can be fitted to Brazzies as well.

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:09 pm

Looks like you got a result there Kev. Pleased that you've seen a significant improvement in Duby's handling.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks Tim, also alot of hard work from the guys at Red 9 Design, they were shocked how different things are, real hybrid. Good news s there is now a solution for RHD Air cooled which is great news.

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:37 pm

I'd like to think of it as more of an 'option.' I'm happy with the steering on my RHD converted BraziBay.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 am

Great post - especially with the photos
It is not something we have considered yet - happy with steering at present
But its good to know things can be done if Scooby starts to wander!

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
olive

olive

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 am

Glad to see you have resolved your problem with your steering and it seems to be a vast improvement on your original modification. We seem to be ok with our steering as Olive is still LHD but we still have the scary crosswind problems but thats standard and not an option when you own one of these beasts. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Scooby, olive,

As pointed out earlier, this is an option for many of you, but for me it was a solution as i had to do something. Danbury do have an r&p conversion but not for aircooled so my options were limited, with this solution i also get great new wishbone suspension and lowering all in!

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:24 am

That is awesome Kev, what a piece of kit.

Being a 2006 RHD Air cooled this really interests me.

Kev wrote:

due to the additional fabrication and much longer fitting time i think simon is looking at his pricing for brazi bays...took much longer to do due to our bus's being so much different to the late bay.

cheers

What did they have to modify on their kit (I see the brake servo) but what else, and what did they have to change on the bus to make it all fit.

I take it our brakes just fit straight back on, did you do anything to the rear suspension adjustable plates, turn splines?

I only ask this as I would be fitting this myself if I went for it. If Red9design did a kit for us Brazzies that would be great.

Oh when are you going for the super 4 pot brake kit that Red9design also do Very Happy

Last edited by Skytiger on Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:04 am

Hi SkyTiger,

The brakes all went straight on, didn’t touch the rear end, front is lower, as you probably know it can be lowered on the shocks. Ride is lovely and smooth.

The other mods were focussed around the steering column, Simon had to modify a splitty column hence me having a nice new wooden steering wheel, it looks like the column bracket is possibly from a beetle. Simon also made a new plate for the floor to replace the original aluminium plate and some trickery to get the switchgear back on…good news is I still have a working horn on the steering wheel, at one point it looked like I might have to have a separate button but that’s all working great.

Re the “4 pot brake kit” …the Bus fund is wiped out for now, but to be honest the brakes on my Bus are great, but might look at getting the rear end done at some point!!

Cheers kev

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks for info, did Simon indicate he might be interested in producing a kit for us or was it just a "learninig experience" for them because he didn't think there were going to be so many differences and it's a one off.

I know it would mean investment on Simon's part but if a steering column could be made to address these problems and stick with the original steering wheel surely there would be enough business, alternativley an increase in cost.

Thanks Allan

Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Kev do you have 185/65 R15 88T tyres on your Fuch alloys, do they clear everything on the front and could you go lower with them on?

Could you perhaps do a finished shot of underneath particularly the steering conections to the steering rack.

Apologise for pestering.
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 10:19 am

Hi Alun,

Yep I have 185/65 R15's and it looks like it will take more lowering, this can be done on the springs with a c-spanner, or for really low Simon can use a different set of holes when he bolts the system on as I understand it. Have attached a pic if wheel arch, will pm you more pics of steering column etc.

Cheers K.

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Imgp9511

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Shame you are not going to the Kombi Sleepover Kev
We would like to have a look "in the flesh" so to speak Laughing

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Scooby, Trying my best to sort out logistics, I am keen to come along even if i arrive late and have to leave early.

Cheers kev

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
Kaz5997

Kaz5997

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi just fitted a Red9design to my bus , i was so fed up with the (boat) steering, a lot of money but well worth it, drives superb and safe now , as a fully qualified mechanic with my own garage i was able to fit and set up myself with a few mods, thanks to simon for his help and if anybidy wants any advise please feel free to contact me
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 5:07 pm

Kaz5997 wrote:
Hi just fitted a Red9design to my bus , i was so fed up with the (boat) steering, a lot of money but well worth it, drives superb and safe now , as a fully qualified mechanic with my own garage i was able to fit and set up myself with a few mods, thanks to simon for his help and if anybidy wants any advise please feel free to contact me

Do you have Litesteer too?
Back to top Go down
Kaz5997

Kaz5997

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Was going to fit PS , but to be honest it's so light now really don't need it , and the suspension is superb aswell
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Kaz5997 wrote:
Was going to fit PS , but to be honest it's so light now really don't need it , and the suspension is superb aswell

Yes, that's why I asked. I had Litesteer before I had the Red9, and if anything the steering might be too sensitive now. I'm wondering whether I need to get the Litesteer adjusted, if that's possible. I might ask Neil Oakley.
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 am

Hi Kaz - do you think you will be able to install these for others? I would love to improve the wandering in the wind - has that completely gone now?
Back to top Go down
Kaz5997

Kaz5997

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 am

Hi gordonmac
yes to be honest thats the main reason i done it because A my wife wouldnt drive it now she does and B the steering in windy conditions was scary and just dangerous, the conversion done from left hand drive to RHD is poor to say the least , and now ive reinforced the chassis area and fitted the Red9 and set it up properly (four wheel lazer tracked) it drives spot on .
As you may be aware the Red9 kit is designed to fit a 70s bay so needs quite a few mods to go into our Brazzies but obviously can be done , that said to do as a job i would charge £850 labour in total
Back to top Go down
Kaz5997

Kaz5997

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Img_1513

Back to top Go down
neillitesteer

neillitesteer

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Can you pm me regarding your red 9!
Back to top Go down
http://neil@litesteer.com
Voyager

Voyager

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 2:02 pm

neillitesteer wrote:
Can you pm me regarding your red 9!

PM sent! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end   New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end Empty

Back to top Go down

New Red9 Design wishbone and R&P front end
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next