brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Have you got a Fridge on-board?

Go down 
+10
Dennis
Tallulah
t24fun
greeny
Bumble
max
Kev
Andy
billyelaine
TimV
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Have you got a Fridge on-board? Empty
PostSubject: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 9:11 pm

On my to do list for this year is to replace Max's cooler for a proper fridge. I think the one Danbury fit as an option is the Waeco CRP-40 which is a 12v/240v unit.

Can any of you guys tell me what fridge you have on board and how good it is? I don't want one that works off the gas as I don't want to mess with the gas install as it is - just want to be able to install the new fridge myself to run off the leisure battery and hook-up. How long have you run your fridge off the leisure battery for?

I've read elsewhere on the web that the Dometic RM123 is worth looking at for VW Campers - anyone got one of those - it's cheaper than the Waeco.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Have you got a Fridge on-board? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Ah .... cheers Den. I think Irene must have the same fridge as Betty the Snailtrail Bay I hired just before I bought Max. She's an '06 like yours. Is your fridge to the left of your rnr bed? You lift up the worktop to reveal the fridge right? If so - yes - they work great. Don't think I can fit one of those as my watertank is directly below.

Max's cooler fridge is in the first cupboard on the right so I'm planning to install the 'proper' fridge in that aperture. Suspect I'll be removing the cupboard door to do so.

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
billyelaine

billyelaine

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi Tim,
we have a free standing Towsure/Waeco 12v/240v/gas 3 way fridge. We run it mainly on gas or 240v in our awning but also off 12v in the bus where it doubles as a buddy seat. Billy
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Cheers Billy. Yep seen those - it's like a big cool box of sorts isn't it? May consider as they're cheaper.

Something like this?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I've had a change of heart about wanting a custom installed fridge. At £600 for a Waeco I can't afford it so I've gone for something Billy suggested and I saw someone using last year - a portable 3 way absorbption fridge. I've bought a Royal 42 litre 3 way unit that will run off 12v, 240v and off gas. When we're camping it'll double up as a buddy seat behind my driver's seat and if desired I can leave it at the campsite running off either the 240v or gas. I can pre-chill it in the house on the mains, run it off the 12v on route and then swap it either to 240v hook up or gas at camp.

Looks like this.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
billyelaine

billyelaine

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Way to go Tim. We've used ours just as you've suggested for the last three years or so, even manage to get a few ice cubes, now thats camping rendeer
Back to top Go down
Andy

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 am

Do those 3-way fridges really work all that well off 12v?

Have had caravans in the past, and the cooling ability when running off 12v was nothing like when running on Gas.
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Andy,

I have a Nova Kool compressor fridge, fitted by the previous owner, claims to run appx 7 days off leisure battery without a charge. I have not tried that but the fridge works well, and has a freezer tray that keeps the old double choc Magnums nice and cold!

Good support as well, sent me online manual when I had a problem, which turned out to be the leisure battery. The fridge shuts down below 11.7v to stop a complete discharge of the battery.

http://www.novakool.com/products/single_door_refrigerators.htm

Cheers Kev

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
max

max

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 pm

I just use a 12V cool box like this.

I use a 12V to 240V adapter so cool it before setting off. Then switch to 12V while driving and then back to 240V near a hook up. Fits perfectly between the front seats, so can grab stuff while driving.

Keeps beer cold for 2 days or so just running on 12V while driving, and being switched off when stationary (don't have a leisure battery). I also have a 11.5V cut off put in between cool box and cigarette lighter, so my main battery is safe.

It's simple, but VERY cheap compared to built in fridges and I hate lugging around stuff that I don't use all the time Wink

Like a Star @ heaven Rennsemmel Like a Star @ heaven ('Racing Roll')
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to go down a similar route to what Tim was suggesting in the original post. I've looked at the Waeko CR-50 (12v/24v - suggested on another thread, does this work on hook-up?) and the JK fridge (12v/240v - another thread), but would really like something that keeps food cool (crazy, I know!) and is better than our existing basic Brazibay cool box.

We've got a separate 3 way (12v/240v/gas) portable fridge, which we used to use for camping and while it was great on hook-up, gas wasn't great and we don't really want to cart a big box around when we have the space for a fridge.

Suggestions please and, looking forward to a hot summer, how much is reasonable to pay for something that really works?!

P.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi bumble
Go to www.coolicebox we have the 60ltr coolbox
Keeps frozen stuff frozen for 3 days and fridge cold for 6 ish days really good cab be used as seat.
Took if to France no bother .no elec reqd.
You need the gel packs which they sell and obviously a freezer facility when on site if staying longer periods .great for long weekends.
Regards Tony

Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

Cabin : Exec 052

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi bumble, i have a Vitrifrigo compressor fridge. Its great will run off the leisure battery for 3-4 days depending on size of battery. I got it to replace the absorbtion one that was rubbish. It was slightly cheaper than a Waeco one but technically just as good, has kept food/drink perfect. The guys that fitted it for me were very impressed
Chris
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:47 pm

greeny wrote:
Hi bumble, i have a Vitrifrigo compressor fridge. Its great will run off the leisure battery for 3-4 days depending on size of battery. I got it to replace the absorbtion one that was rubbish. It was slightly cheaper than a Waeco one but technically just as good, has kept food/drink perfect. The guys that fitted it for me were very impressed
Chris

Thanks Chris,

which one do you have? - trying to see which one would fit in Bumble.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm

lilyvdub wrote:
Hi bumble
Go to www.coolicebox we have the 60ltr coolbox
Keeps frozen stuff frozen for 3 days and fridge cold for 6 ish days really good cab be used as seat.
Took if to France no bother .no elec reqd.
You need the gel packs which they sell and obviously a freezer facility when on site if staying longer periods .great for long weekends.
Regards Tony

Thanks Tony,

we already have two cool boxes, but really want a proper working fridge.
Back to top Go down
t24fun

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 5:21 pm

We use the Waeco in both our campers 12/240v not gas, both will freeze on 240v, but will run battery down quickly if turned too low on 12v. They are however, just the job
Back to top Go down
http://www.t24fun.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:00 pm

A bag of ice in the freezer compartment helps keep the internal temp low and reduces the amount of 'effort' required from the battery.

That said, a fully charged battery in good condition will only keep it going for a day or two at best.

If 'off grid' we use our fridge sparingly, which includes switching it off at night. If 'off grid' for more than a few days we turn the fridge up to the max for the journey then turn it off and use it for storage only. The bag of ice trick still works but does need replenishing regularly.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:45 am

Bumble we really could do with someone trying out the Just Kampers branded fridge.

At £249 it's half the price of the Waeco units and you should get a bit of discount for being on here too. Why not give it a whirl and be our first adopter?

JK Fridge

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Paul, I have the VFC501, cupboard space determined what one i got. They are used a lot in boats...got mine from Penguin!! Refrigeration Havant
Chris
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks Chris,

so what I cannot understand is why so many of the fridges seem to be different sizes and how the space we have seems to be variable?! affraid

The space in Bumble is 480mm (H) * 365mm (W) * 385mm (D); though even that is an approximation, as the height seems like it could be made greater as there's a void above the fridge and below the cupboard above (width and depth being fixed). Mad
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 12:02 am

Anyone had any experience with this one - Vitifrigo GR50?

http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/products/731/vitrifrigo-gr50-silver
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 7:34 am

Bumble wrote:
Anyone had any experience with this one - Vitifrigo GR50?

http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/products/731/vitrifrigo-gr50-silver

When it says it features an external cooling unit, does that mean there's a bit that you hang outside of your camper?! scratch

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 am

Its the compressor for the fridge which you will have to find space for as close the fridge as possible on a diamond conversion it sits below the gas bottle and be prepared for when the fridge is on the compressor switches on and off and you will hear a very slight hum. Tim
Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 6:49 pm

Not sure about the absorption bit Paul...i thought that was only with 3way fridges! I have had mine since 2013 and as a compressor fridge it does emit a hum but not loud enough to disturb sleep. It is a 50 litre capacity, i got it to fit the cupboard which are not standard Danbury made. I do know you have to have some space above and behind for ventilation...if you know the cupboard space contact a supplier like Penguin and ask them a few questions. Chris
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptyFri May 29, 2015 11:22 am

Were just in the middle of some updates on Ronnie and weve just installed a top loading Coolmatic  CB40 which runs on 12 and 240 volt but not gas.
weve also installed a new 100a leisure battery to run the fridge off solely.

Just tried it out this week (turned on monday morning) to see capability on the leisure battery alone.
on full power it was very cold within 45 mins, so much that the inside was all white with frost.
we left a cup of water in the bottom of it and was frozen solid the following morning. the fridge remained very cold right up until we looked today (friday morning) where it has stopped cooling altogether and the cup of water has defrosted.

So on full blast, we reckon 4 1/2 days is not too bad.
It is a brand new battery though so i dont know if an older one would hold as much charge.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? EmptySun May 31, 2015 7:37 pm

timmm wrote:
Were just in the middle of some updates on Ronnie and weve just installed a top loading Coolmatic  CB40 which runs on 12 and 240 volt but not gas.
weve also installed a new 100a leisure battery to run the fridge off solely.

Just tried it out this week (turned on monday morning) to see capability on the leisure battery alone.
on full power it was very cold within 45 mins, so much that the inside was all white with frost.
we left a cup of water in the bottom of it and was frozen solid the following morning. the fridge remained very cold right up until we looked today (friday morning) where it has stopped cooling altogether and the cup of water has defrosted.

So on full blast, we reckon 4 1/2 days is not too bad.
It is a brand new battery though so i dont know if an older one would hold as much charge.

Presumably that was with nothing else running - stereo, lights, wTer pump - all of which would reduce the battery life further.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you got a Fridge on-board?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next