brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Have you got a Fridge on-board?

Go down 
+10
Dennis
Tallulah
t24fun
greeny
Bumble
max
Kev
Andy
billyelaine
TimV
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 7:00 pm

A bag of ice in the freezer compartment helps keep the internal temp low and reduces the amount of 'effort' required from the battery.

That said, a fully charged battery in good condition will only keep it going for a day or two at best.

If 'off grid' we use our fridge sparingly, which includes switching it off at night. If 'off grid' for more than a few days we turn the fridge up to the max for the journey then turn it off and use it for storage only. The bag of ice trick still works but does need replenishing regularly.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:45 am

Bumble we really could do with someone trying out the Just Kampers branded fridge.

At £249 it's half the price of the Waeco units and you should get a bit of discount for being on here too. Why not give it a whirl and be our first adopter?

JK Fridge

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

Cabin : Exec 052

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi Paul, I have the VFC501, cupboard space determined what one i got. They are used a lot in boats...got mine from Penguin!! Refrigeration Havant
Chris
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks Chris,

so what I cannot understand is why so many of the fridges seem to be different sizes and how the space we have seems to be variable?! affraid

The space in Bumble is 480mm (H) * 365mm (W) * 385mm (D); though even that is an approximation, as the height seems like it could be made greater as there's a void above the fridge and below the cupboard above (width and depth being fixed). Mad
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 12:02 am

Anyone had any experience with this one - Vitifrigo GR50?

http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/products/731/vitrifrigo-gr50-silver
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 7:34 am

Bumble wrote:
Anyone had any experience with this one - Vitifrigo GR50?

http://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/products/731/vitrifrigo-gr50-silver

When it says it features an external cooling unit, does that mean there's a bit that you hang outside of your camper?! scratch

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 am

Its the compressor for the fridge which you will have to find space for as close the fridge as possible on a diamond conversion it sits below the gas bottle and be prepared for when the fridge is on the compressor switches on and off and you will hear a very slight hum. Tim
Back to top Go down
greeny

greeny

Cabin : Exec 052

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 6:49 pm

Not sure about the absorption bit Paul...i thought that was only with 3way fridges! I have had mine since 2013 and as a compressor fridge it does emit a hum but not loud enough to disturb sleep. It is a 50 litre capacity, i got it to fit the cupboard which are not standard Danbury made. I do know you have to have some space above and behind for ventilation...if you know the cupboard space contact a supplier like Penguin and ask them a few questions. Chris
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 11:22 am

Were just in the middle of some updates on Ronnie and weve just installed a top loading Coolmatic  CB40 which runs on 12 and 240 volt but not gas.
weve also installed a new 100a leisure battery to run the fridge off solely.

Just tried it out this week (turned on monday morning) to see capability on the leisure battery alone.
on full power it was very cold within 45 mins, so much that the inside was all white with frost.
we left a cup of water in the bottom of it and was frozen solid the following morning. the fridge remained very cold right up until we looked today (friday morning) where it has stopped cooling altogether and the cup of water has defrosted.

So on full blast, we reckon 4 1/2 days is not too bad.
It is a brand new battery though so i dont know if an older one would hold as much charge.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptySun May 31, 2015 7:37 pm

timmm wrote:
Were just in the middle of some updates on Ronnie and weve just installed a top loading Coolmatic  CB40 which runs on 12 and 240 volt but not gas.
weve also installed a new 100a leisure battery to run the fridge off solely.

Just tried it out this week (turned on monday morning) to see capability on the leisure battery alone.
on full power it was very cold within 45 mins, so much that the inside was all white with frost.
we left a cup of water in the bottom of it and was frozen solid the following morning. the fridge remained very cold right up until we looked today (friday morning) where it has stopped cooling altogether and the cup of water has defrosted.

So on full blast, we reckon 4 1/2 days is not too bad.
It is a brand new battery though so i dont know if an older one would hold as much charge.

Presumably that was with nothing else running - stereo, lights, wTer pump - all of which would reduce the battery life further.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 11:08 am

That's correct Tallulah. which is why we've had the fridge run totally on its own battery, then if the battery does die when were away, we still have another for the other stuff.. although we don't have a water pump, we will be putting a small TV in it and we have changed the interior lights to led's to try and take less power

Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2017 12:46 pm

So I'm back to one of my favourite subjects; the replacement of our Coleman super icetime 40l coolbox.

I've been looking at the Waeco CRX50 - http://www.justkampers.com/waeco-coolmatic-crx50-premium-compressor-cabinet-fridge-freezer-48-litre-stainless-steel-finish.html

but seem to have an issue with the space available to put a 'proper' fridge in!

Here's the current coolbox in-situ:-
Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 <a href=Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 20170610" />

It sticks out a bit already:-

Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 <a href=Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 20170612" />
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2017 12:51 pm

If I look to put a Waeco CRX50 into the same space, it will protrude far more.  It's 500mm deep, so will be 117mm of a protrusion.

This doesn't seem to be right, as it's what other Brazibays fitted, I believe?

Here is what it would look like:-

Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 20170613

Any thoughts? (apart from buying a stand-alone Icey-tec fridge).

P.
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm

We have a top loading fridge / freezer. Ours freezes in the lower right area under the inset basket. Very useful. If we don't want it to freeze we just put it on the lowest setting.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Bruce09

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 7:32 pm

It looks as though our Dometic RM123E fridge has packed in and now looking to replace. Looking at prices, they seem to be around £450, which seems a lot for a small fridge. Before I go ahead with this, are there any suggestions for alternatives or comments on the Dometic? Any advice/guidance very welcome.
Back to top Go down
bobbo12

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Would not have thought the RM123 would be a good choice as they are absorbtion type. They do not work very well at 12 volts and would drain the battery fairly quickly. Much better to fit a compressor type such as the Waeco crp40 which are fitted to later model Danburys. However they cost over £500.
Back to top Go down
t24fun

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am

If of any interest, we have a couple of second hand Waeco Fridge/Freezers for sale as fitted to the Danbury T2. £250.00 each, collection only.
Back to top Go down
http://www.t24fun.co.uk
Bumble

Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm

t24fun wrote:
If of any interest, we have a couple of second hand Waeco Fridge/Freezers for sale as fitted to the Danbury T2. £250.00 each, collection only.

PM sent.

P.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 EmptySun May 16, 2021 9:32 am

After 10 years of sterling service I’ve just ordered another Royal 3 way chest fridge, because my old one is a bit tired now. I ordered it from eBay and then typically found an identical product on Amazon for £50 less!!!

Same piece of kit, just a different brand and colour.

[url=iceQ 42 Litre 3 Way Portable Camping Absorption Cool Box - DC 12 V/AC 230 V/Gas, Matte Black Finish https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XB7JRJJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_EWKW1WWY2SAS5CMAZ9QS]3 way portable fridge. [/url]

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you got a Fridge on-board?   Have you got a Fridge on-board? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you got a Fridge on-board?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next