brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Power Steering - what are your thoughts?

Go down 
+9
osg
absquatulation
max
Roobarb
Tallulah
TimV
stephenjedward
jj123vw
joannaheather
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
absquatulation

absquatulation

Cabin : Club

steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm not going to be popular here, but I feel that some of the joy of my camper is that it has problems and is not like a modern vehicle.

If I wanted a modern vehicle I would have bought one. Instead I have a vehicle with character. It steers sidewise down the motorway, its top speed is is always less than the speed limit, acceleration is measured with a diary rather than a stopwatch, parking is like maneuvering an oil tanker.

One thing you quickly learn is how to park properly, to make sure your wheels are pointing in the right direction. etc.

One thing to remember is that the current steering system is set up for no power steering, if you add power steering then you will put a lot of stress onto track rod ends, and other parts of the system.

________________________________________________________________________________
I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm with absquatulation here - most niggles are just an expression of 'character' and the interest is in learning to live with them.
osg
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Here, here, I agree with both of the above, it's all part of the fun of owning a vehicle with character. . And who needs to go to a gym, you end up with biceps like a mud wrestler ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 pm

yes agree with the latter,would take all the" fun" out of driving a vw ,keeps you alert!! and in no rush to go anywhere,
Back to top Go down
yabbit

yabbit

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 am

Yup! I'm glad Adie doesn't have power steering, Her quirkyness is part of what makes her fun. If I wanted power steering we have 2 modern Vauxhalls, as it is I have only driven one once since we picked Adie up in May. However probably going to rest Adie up during the worse of the winter winds and I will REALY miss her. I am thinking of one of those steering knobs though, where do you get them?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 8:33 am

I think it comes down to what the individual needs of the potential Kombi owner are. If the lack of pas on a T2 has previously deterred buyers, then that problem has now been solved by all suppliers of new UK Kombis. To onlookers it's not going to have much kudos but to the daily driver of the BraziBay it may well be invaluable.

When it comes to resale it remains to be seen if pas will add any significant value to the Kombi.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 am

TimV wrote:
I think it comes down to what the individual needs of the potential Kombi owner are. If the lack of pas on a T2 has previously deterred buyers, then that problem has now been solved by all suppliers of new UK Kombis. To onlookers it's not going to have much kudos but to the daily driver of the BraziBay it may well be invaluable.

When it comes to resale it remains to be seen if pas will add any significant value to the Kombi.

I'll just point out I am a daily driver of my van. It gets me to and from work, then if I'm lucky I have to visit people and places with it. I get the mick taken as it takes me forever to get anywhere, but I've now got biceps like Arnie, but with a huge grin.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:47 am

You don't have to spend 4k to get PAS on a Kombi.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:55 am

Quote :
You don't have to spend 4k to get PAS on a Kombi.

....spill....

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 11:05 am

Its not £4000 for pas ? Its £2915 + vat for 'direct drive' rack and pinion steering AND speed senstive power steering Including labour to fit....
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 am

jj123vw wrote:
Its not £4000 for pas ? Its £2915 + vat for 'direct drive' rack and pinion steering AND speed senstive power steering Including labour to fit....

So call it 3.5k for the Danbury pas then.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Youve got to try it to believe its value....The Direct Drive side is fantastic too not just the PAS Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stan

stan

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:26 pm

For me I would not have power steering for a number of reasons.

a) it will cost a fortune!
b) it adds additional weight - fuel cost will get worse
c) who can you really trust to do a great job at reasonable price
d) its a light van with no weight on the front, hence keeping your tyres pumped up (maybe a fig more than normal) helps and suspension greased at the correct interval (not lowered with fat tyres also helps!)
e) because it is a light van it is subject to cross winds, so the slightly firmer steering tends to help that, a super light power steering will make it far too easy to change direction and make it even more flowery in its lane control? Why do you think sports car manufacturers have speed sensitive steering? light at town speeds, heavier at fast speeds?
f) if you really must have lighter steering why not change to a steering rack conversion?
g) its a 1940's warmed over design not a T5 or Transit, what attracted you to it? Its simple , basic character features which this is one?

Sorry to be blunt but just my opinion....

Regards

Stan
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Everyone to their own opinion I suppose. I love it even on a run (the Danbury conversion is speed sensitive) and the rack and pinion 'direct drive' steering is fab too..less sway and less correction needed but all ways are good - it's just down to the choice of the owner / driver.
Back to top Go down
nellyhipkiss

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

VW Kampers quoted me £1700 fitted for power steering!!
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Was it new speed sensetive PAS and including 'direct drive' ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Steering - what are your thoughts?   steering - Power Steering - what are your thoughts? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Steering - what are your thoughts?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next