brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

BioFuel Shake-Up

Go down 
+7
timmm
Tallulah
Blue Seagull
kiteman
osg
jj123vw
TimV
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Reading through his topic,
just a few questions.

1/ As the small tank is for bio fuel, and If it always starts on the small tank then switches to the main tank once started, what would happen when the small tank becomes empty?

2/ As i don't have access to bio fuel, does that mean that if there is bio fuel still in the small tank that i will have to re-fill it if and when it is depleted?

3/ what would happen if petrol was put into the small tank instead of bio?

4/ what is the capacity of the small tank?

________________________________________________________________________________
Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:30 pm

The small tank is for petrol not Bio, Bio fuel goes in the large tank.
Pertol has a higher octane rating so is need to start the engine, once it's running it then switches over to bio fuel in the main tank.

________________________________________________________________________________
BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Am lost altogether now.
My technical knowledge as you might have realised by now is nil.

So,how then reversing the questions as my last post?

Timmm
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Quote :
1/ As the small tank is for bio fuel, and If it always starts on the small tank then switches to the main tank once started, what would happen when the small tank becomes empty?

It's the other way round, the small tank is ONLY for regular unleaded petrol and (although no-one has any way to prove this) we suspect the small tank would only be used if the ECU determines a problem when starting as normal from the main tank when filled with bio-ethanol AND the outside temperature is below 15 degrees (ish). When the small tank does become empty/low - mainly due to evaporation it would seem - there should be a dash warning light that comes on.

Quote :
2/ As i don't have access to bio fuel, does that mean that if there is bio fuel still in the small tank that i will have to re-fill it if and when it is depleted?

Under normal (UK) use where the main tank contains regular unleaded, your van should happily run with nothing in the small tank although the dash warning light will be on. However most owners do keep the small tank topped up. AFAIK bio-ethanol is no longer available in the UK. We did however fill our main tank with E85 a couple of times while in France, 85% bio-ethanol and almost 1/2 the cost of unleaded. Tallulah ran like a dream although it wasn't cold enough to concern the engine into starting on the small tank.

Quote :
3/ what would happen if petrol was put into the small tank instead of bio?

See first answer above.

Quote :
4/ what is the capacity of the small tank?

Between 1 and 2 litres with a very short neck. It is advisable to fill using a petrol can rather than at the pump due to the risk of spillage etc.

Hope that helps.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:41 pm

thank you.

so... basically i am ok to fill both the tanks safely with petrol?

Timmm
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm

timmm wrote:
thank you.

so... basically i am ok to fill both the tanks safely with petrol?

Absolutely. Just be care full with the small one especially if filling at the pump.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks....think mine was empty but it didn't have the warning light on the dash at all, but at the first time i went to fill my bus up, i started putting it in the wrong tank before i realised my mistake.

I only put a couple of squirts in, and then siphoned it out whereby lots of brown gooey stuff came out as well.... hence me thinking that was the boi tank.

And since then, my dash warning light for that tank has been on.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 4:37 pm

alkylate petrol

Timmm mentions 'brown gooey stuff' from his small tank.
This was also what emerged from our small tank when it was emptied to re-fill it with the more stable alkylate petrol.
osg
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 11:15 pm

What's your thoughts on it. ..

Timmm
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 2:37 pm

The liquid syphoned from our small tank ( in 2012 ) was brown in colour but not really 'gooey' - more like petrol with a distinct brown hue. We assumed that this had been added at production time in Brazil and so must represent the regular fuel used there.
No signs of rust, so not brown because of that.
Haven't looked since then but I'll check what tank holds now.
osg
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Just re-checked the contents of our small tank.
Full to near the top - clear, colourless fluid and a pleasant odour (Alkylate smells much nicer than ordinary petrol). So nothing used and the contents staying clean for over two years since contents replaced with Alkylate petrol.
osg
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:22 pm

So what's alkylate Petrol?

Timmm
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Timmm said

So what's alkylate Petrol? wrote:

Just click on the link in my Wednesday post above, or search 'Alkylate'

osg
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 1:48 pm

thanks osg... found it.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
Ronnie Ringding

Ronnie Ringding

Cabin : Exec 082

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 10:50 am

I see this thread started in 2011.
Have the government changed the fuel to 10% ethanol?
I have had my airbay for 5 years now and have been running it on straight unleaded with no issues at all.
When I have serviced it the plugs are all good. (indicator of poor performance).
Should I have been using super-unleaded all this time?

I am an Engineer. I will fix this!
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevianlodge.co.uk
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 12:02 pm

mines 2011, it just gets whatever pump I pull up at put in to it at the time.
I thought that as it is a modernish watercooled, that would be fine.
ive had no issues yet and it seems quite good with the mpg as well.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Both Aircooled AND Watercooled run fine on 95 RON unleaded. I'd expect no improvement in performance by putting 97 RON Superunleaded in the tank of a Watercooled but my Aircooled does 'seem' to run better on it. Could just be a placebo effect.

I do have to run my 911 on Superunleaded. Tis the law.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Thought I'd have a look at what the petrol was like after a couple of years in the starter tank (this is with fuel preserver added when I replaced it last time)

There is a bit of colour difference compared with the fresh petrol on the left, but seeing as Ethanol isn't available here, I don't suppose it matters that much, as it's not going to be used.

BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 Imgp2032
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm

The jar on the right looks very much like the situation when I first syphoned off the small tank. Perhaps the original factory fill included both petrol and fuel preserver. This would make sense if the expectation was that the small tank was likely to remain full and un-used.
osg
Back to top Go down
RayC

RayC

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 4:24 am

not wanting to hijack the thread but Danbury told me not to use super unleaded when we picked our camper up just regular unleaded

also some fuels are different colours you will find this if you fill up jerry cans from different stations eg texaco vs shell, some are even nearly red or green
Back to top Go down
http://treadltd@gmail.com
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

RayC wrote:
not wanting to hijack the thread but Danbury told me not to use super unleaded when we picked our camper up just regular unleaded
Yes, I heard this but I don't know why. Super unleaded should be fine in all engines. What is so special about ours that makes them unsuitable? More interestingly, what dressing it do?
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 2:14 pm

RayC said

Quote :
Danbury told me not to use super unleaded when we picked our camper up just regular unleaded

We have always gone along with the use of regular petrol to fit in with that advice for the main tank.
For the small tank we put in Alkylate petrol on the assumptions that
1) none would ever be used
2) by filling the tank it would help to stop rust and
3) because it lasts better it would perhaps work better if there ever was emergency call on that tank.

osg

Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:06 pm

I thought our 2011 aqua bay just has a 'normal' 1.4 polo fox engine in it.

Is this the case? as if so, wouldn't you just treat it as a normal 2011 plate engine would expected to be treat re fuel etc?

Timmm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BioFuel Shake-Up   BioFuel Shake-Up - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

BioFuel Shake-Up
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: