www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi

Share | 

Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rainorshinegear

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus   Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Hello All,

I live in the US...in Boston Mass and have a huge dilemma. I have the chance to have 1989 watercooled 1.8 Mexi-bus with 50,000 original miles.

This guy wants to make an even swap....my 67 splitty for his 89 Mexibus. I don't know what to do!

I am trying to scour the web to find anything and everything about these Mexibuses.

My first questions are:

-Are the parts for am 89 Mexibus interchangeable with a Brazilian? I suspect that finding parts will be problematic and expensive.
-If I give the VIN here...can anyone decipher it?
-Is the 1.8 in that the same as the die hard VW 1800 used in the jetta's and fox's in 1989?
-If the mexi radiator goes...will a brazilian fit?
-where can I buy that dummy tire cover with the chrome ring to make it look aircooled? Can I get that shipped to the US?
-if the tranny goes in it will I be able to use Brazilian bus parts? Getting parts from Mexico will be a problem...unless anyone here knows of a parts link.
-Will the body parts of a 79 US bay window..such as windshields and headlights/taillights fit on a 1989 Mexibus.
-Does anyone know where I could get a technical manual and electrical schematic in English for an 89 Mexibus?

I think I really want to do this....but worry about the expense to make repairs.

I think this site will be my best bet to get expert advice!!

Thank you all in advance for any and all feedback!

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus   Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 am

rainorshinegear wrote:

-Are the parts for am 89 Mexibus interchangeable with a Brazilian? I suspect that finding parts will be problematic and expensive.

Welcome!

The engine mechanics of the MexiBay are entirely different to those found in the currently produced Brazilian Kombi. The engine as you say is the legendary 1781cc unit found in VWs from the early 1980s onwards. I don't know what gearbox is used. The Aircooled 1600cc BraziBay uses a 1600 Beetle gearbox. The 1400cc Watercooled BraziBay has a dedicated gearbox.

The rad from a BraziBay would probably fit a MexiBay - although I have never seen a MexiBay close-up. Further, the BraziBay runs on link and king pin suspension similar to that found on a Split rather than ball joints found on a '68 - '79 Classic Bay. I'm not familiar with the set up on a MexiBay. Bodywork and fittings should all be similar.

My first question to you is - how can you be allowed to import a MexiBay into the U.S.? I thought the safety and emission regulations prevented it. Discusssion I've read on thesamba.com indicates this. I know it frustrates a lot of Bay Window fans over there!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer and Tango - the Fizzy Kombi Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
rainorshinegear

PostSubject: Re: Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus   Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. Everyone is telling me that I am crazy for thinking about trading my 67 Splitty for the 89 Mexibus. It's already here in the states. It cam through tagged and titled as a 77 bus. On the east coast, where I am, VW buses are an extreme rarity and I am not worried about having an issue with it tagged as a 77.

What I do worry about is how the heck I am going to get parts for it when something breaks. I am disappointed to hear that the mechanics are different from a Brazibus....meaning that i won't be able to order parts. Question is....how will I get parts??

That 1781cc unit in the bus is a good thing right??? With only 50,000 original miles, she should have a LOT of life in her....right?? Would it be likely that the gearbox would be one similar to the 89 Jetta??

What's the better deal....the 67 splitty ( in excellent exterior/underside condition) or the 89 Mexibus??

Biggest fear is not being able to get parts......
Back to top Go down
thesplitsombrero

PostSubject: Re: Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus   Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Man I would keep the splitty, it seems there are too many ifs and buts. I have a 67 Split a 2010 watercooled brazi and a 1999 mex beetle. Over here in the uk getting hold of some parts still means getting them from Mexico. I am the area coordinator for the mex and brazi beetle club and one of our guys has regular contact with a supplier of parts from over there. The club site is www.mexibug.org.uk check them out. As for Brazi bay parts the parts are becoming more and more available as the numbers grow over here, VW heritage, Just Kampers, have dedicated pages for them. I am an aircooled dude so my choice would always be the split, but if you can get the bits an 1800 powered aircooled has a bit more go and at 50k miles with good oil change/service should be good for a while. Good luck mate How about a picture of the split to make an old man happy) afro
Back to top Go down
rainorshinegear

PostSubject: Re: Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus   Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm

I will send some pics of my splitty for sure. Thanks for the info. Where can I buy that dummy front tire cover for the radiator? Are there sources in the UK where I can buy that part?? Any used dummy covers out there?

I am now leaning toward keeping the splitty due to all these if's and but's...but in a minute if you ask me, I'll say the Mexibus...haha.

If I can find a source to get parts...I'll feel a lot better. I am a big dude and my 67 split is so small!!

Decisions..decisions....
Back to top Go down
thesplitsombrero

PostSubject: Re: Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Danbury provide the covers, maybe check out there site dude pirat
Back to top Go down

Brazilian Bay vs. Mexibus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays-