brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Roof bars

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 am

As seen in Tim's Max Upgrades 2012 There are some funky roof bars.

Ginger also has a new rack

Roof bars 2012-013

I've used the thule Aerobars.

Fitting was a lot easier than I had first thought.
On first inspection of the roof, it does seem pretty flimsy, but taking a closer look there is some strength to it.

If you look closely to the plywood that's screwed to the underside of the poptop you can see the screw heads that hold the wood in place. These run around the edge of the ply with two strips 1/3 and 2/3 along the length of the roof running side to side, where there seems to be about an inch thick reinforcement beams.
You can also feel this if you push down on top of the poptop, you can see the roof flex in the middle but as you move along fro front to back you will see this stop as you pass over one of the reinforcement beams.

Roof bars Roof10

This can be seen when you reaise the roof and have a look under the outside edging.

Roof bars 2012-014

The outside edges of the poptop reinforement is where I drilled the hole through the roof, about 3cm in from the edge if the ply.

I've used the Thule 753 foot pack, this is what the bars connect to, and the 3021 fixpoint fitting kit to attach this to the poptop.

Once everything was lined up, all I did was drill a hole through the roof for each fitting kit. The fitting kit comes with some 8mm bolts that are meant to screw into the top of a roof, this can't be done on mine, so pushed the bolt up from underneath and put a nut on it to secure in place.

The 3021 fixpoint comes with a rubber base that will seal the hole so no need for any extra sealent.

The bars can easily take a surfboard. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it can take a lot more weight as well, but don't quote me on that just incase Smile

Roof bars 2012-015

________________________________________________________________________________
Roof bars Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Brave man. I'm not sure I'd want to drill several holes into my roof but it does look good. That said, given the AA quoted figure of 10% reduction in fuel economy when leaving your roof rack on, I'm presuming you have devised a quick release mechanism. ;-)
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 pm

looks good kiteman Smile
Back to top Go down
Kev

Kev

Cabin : Economy

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Steve, Looks great.

Have you measured the overall height now? Would hate to think of you scooting into a car park and oooh noo don’t think about it...Happened to me with a Thule bike rack in an underground car park on holiday in Cannes one year, I got under the height bar only to find the ceiling much lower further in! Sad

________________________________________________________________________________
2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Ouch. Much damage, Kev?

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Kev

Kev

Cabin : Economy

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 pm

I had to loosen the rack and drive forward whilst the family held onto the rack, then walk with it, lots of people not happy behind me. Embarassed

We eventually noticed the car park (parking under the Gray D’Albion hotel) ceiling was at different heights throughout the car park so I managed to drive out very carefully with it perched on my roof, but Interesting when I parked up there was a very old model landrover with smashed roof lights also parked up!

2006 Air-Cooled Duby
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 pm

lostlogik wrote:
Brave man.That said, given the AA quoted figure of 10% reduction in fuel economy when leaving your roof rack on, I'm presuming you have devised a quick release mechanism. ;-)

With the bus being the shape it is and having the aerodynamics of a brick, I very much doubt having the roof bars on will make much difference.

Roof bars Img_4810

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Kev wrote:

Steve, Looks great.

Have you measured the overall height now?

The bars add an extra 4 inches to the overall height, probably the same as having the cab roof rack.

Kev wrote:

Would hate to think of you scooting into a car park and oooh noo don’t think about it...Happened to me with a Thule bike rack in an underground car park on holiday in Cannes one year, I got under the height bar only to find the ceiling much lower further in! Sad

Good job the bikes weren't on as well Smile

Roof bars Img_4810

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Roof bars Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roof bars   Roof bars Empty

Back to top Go down

Roof bars
Page 1 of 1