brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Litesteer power steering

Go down 
+23
Voyager
Sunshine Daisy
Firebird
jj123vw
Dalesman
Mick
Scooby
neillitesteer
Matt
Footsteps
Dennis
harryhornet
kiteman
Richard
graciebabie
TimV
AbsintheKombi
Carlos
Skytiger
Sunny
dizzylizard
Tallulah
irishman
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Check direct with Litesteer, they do have authorised fitting centres around the country.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Mick - Dubtricks are authorised Litesteer fitters based in Dacre, just outside Pateley Bridge nr Harrogate They fitted Litesteer for Dalesman.

As you're based in East Lancs do you fancy coming to the Northern Meet in May?

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Dalesman

Dalesman

Cabin : Exec 009

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Mick wrote:
Could anyone share ball park costs of having Danbury power steering fitted to our bays? The only online ref I have seen quoted £3,500. I know the Lifesteer option is '£1195 plus VAT @20% including fitting'.

Also, is anyone aware of a similar quality PS solution available up north?

Very pleased with my Litesteer fitted by www.dubtricks.co.uk last September, cost was £1194 inc VAT + fitting of £210.

________________________________________________________________________________
"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Back to top Go down
Mick

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll speak to Dubtricks.

Not sure about the meet, Absinthe, I'll have a look nearer the time, ta for the invite.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Absinthe was down at Danbury last week for a service and to have tints and a petrol heater fitted.

Whilst she was there, Jason contacted me to express concern about the amount of play on the steering, which he attributed to the Litesteer PAS. He sent me a video which is here:

I subsequently spoke to Neil at Litesteer and he arranged for me to take her to The Old Dub Shop in Pill, just south of Bristol after we'd picked her up from Danbury on Friday afternoon. They are approved fitters of the Litesteer PAS system. Here she is on the ramp:

steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 8584912657_e6b9f7132f_z

Spencer, the mechanic, was great and tightened the steering and actually spoke to Neil on the phone whilst we were there. He was going to Volksworld in the afternoon and I really appreciated him giving his time up to help. My problem is that we don't have any experience of driving anyone else's van so don't know how the steering should feel.

We then set off to drive home (couldn't have picked a worse day) and with Alison driving she said that the steering felt much tighter. I drove her yesterday and everything now feels fine. I just wondered if anyone else with Litesteer had had any issues.

Neil has been in touch again to make sure everything is ok - I'm impressed with his customer service and fully expect not to have any further problems.

We stopped at the services on the way home and used the petrol heater for the first time - what a difference to be able to have some heat in the van. Wish we'd specced one from the off really.

The journey home was a bit of a nightmare, particularly as we got further north. By the time we did the last 5 miles on the M6 to Leyland, Alison could hadly keep her on the motorway, it was so windy. We were very glad to be home.

Can't wait for the better weather now - itching to be out and about at the weekends but no sign of any sun yet.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 3:24 pm

If it was just a matter of tightening the steering, couldn't Danbury have done it whilst it was being serviced? Surely it would have only taken them a couple of minutes.

steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Glad you got it fixed and got home OK

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Kiteman - I'm not going to criticise Danbury for not looking at it - they said they were concerned that the Litesteer was putting too much stress on the steering box. They know that lots of members are having the system fitted and were worried that it wasn't suitable.

Neil is confident that there isn't an issue. I know that he had had discussions with Danbury at an early stage but negotiations apparently fell through.

All's well that ends well...

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Not looking at picking holes with Danbury, just surprised that was all. They're normally pretty good with things like that.
Was wondering if it was something they couldn't fix because of the instal. Seems a shame you had to go elsewhere. Should have explained myself a bit better.

Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 pm

They probably would have had a look if I'd asked them but I wanted to get Litesteer to check it out.

I've always found Danbury fine and they've always sorted things out for me.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 am

With regard to Absinthe's post including the Danbury video:

1. Do we know what type of Kombi is being used to compare Absinthe with. Was it an original LHD factory Kombi or one already converted to RHD with or without Danbury PAS? I think it's only fair to compare like with like, ie it should have been one that was lowered, RHD and with Danbury PAS.

2. Absinthe I feel you were right to contact Litesteer in the first instance about any issue to do with their power steering unit.

3. I don't think it would have been appropriate for Danbury to touch the Litesteer system at this point either hence I understand the need to take it to a Litesteer approved centre.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:41 am

My thoughts exactly Tim. The video was useful but a bit inconclusive, hence why I got Neil involved.

All seems fine now - be interesting to talk to Neil and Danbury at the same time, at the Sleepover!

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Video?

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Tallulah wrote:
Video?

Click the word 'here' in Absinthe's initial post.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Aha! Missed it on the first read though.

Looks like an standard 'unedited' komparison Kombi, but there was certainly a worrying amount of play on Absinthe regardless of what the comparison vehicle was.

Glad it's all sorted.

Wiggle your wheels people!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Hope this isn't a silly question Abs, (I'm not too clued up on Litesteer) but have you got rack and pinion steering, or the original steering box?

My understanding is that power steering just makes it easier to turn the wheel, and it doesn't put extra strain on the steering mechanism, but could be wrong.

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional    
Very Happy                           steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 Signat11
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Absinthe just has the original steering set-up ie. steering box with the Litesteer kit added.

Litesteer PAS is designed to fit the standard T2 steering set-up.

Danbury PAS is designed to fit with an aftermarket rack and pinion system.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm

It's the original steering box and, as I understand it, Neil has strengthened part of the chassis to accomodate the new PAS.

I'm afraid I'm the wrong man to ask about technical details. I'm a drive it and enjoy sort of guy, and not a fix it and understand one, sadly. My engineer Dad must be spinning in his grave. My brother got his practical skills - I got his words... Very Happy

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks both, all info gratefully received.

Pity we missed you on Friday, Abs, you could probably see Pat's house just over the river from Pill.

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional    
Very Happy                           steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 Signat11
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Quote :
Pity we missed you on Friday, Abs, you could probably see Pat's house just over the river from Pill.

Pity, DL - could have done with a cuppa befroe we set off back up north!

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Looking at the forecast on Friday, we felt for you.

Forget the cuppa, you missed home made stew and dumplings. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Now that's not fair...

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 4:36 pm

Sorry. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Does this mean, that if you have the litesteer power steering fitted, is your Dandury warranty still valid?

Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 5:23 pm

I'll be honest and say I'm not really sure but I couldn't see why it would be affected. Frankly, I'd rather not find out. Smile

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer power steering   steering - Litesteer power steering - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Litesteer power steering
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next