brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Sun roof?

Go down 
+8
harryhornet
dizzylizard
Dennis
TimV
AbsintheKombi
Matt
Scooby
EvoFylde
12 posters
AuthorMessage
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

Cabin : Club

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 5:46 pm

Guys,

Have all of the people who have the raising roof have the sun roof as well? Or do some of you not? Do those of you that haven't now wish that you had?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Scooby has a Pop Top and a Sun Roof - does provide more light in to the camper
Extra ventilation too if you so desire when cooking inside
Scooby says include a Sun Roof if your budget allows
Rooby Roo
flower

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

Cabin : Club

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

I agree with scooby, the sun roof is essential. We originally didnt have this on our spec but changed our minds at last moment. Very glad we did. When cooking the side window behind the cooker can blow on the cookers burners, so you cannot always have it open, the sun roof is ideal for ventilating those smells. Also on those hot nights you can ventilate the van while sleeping without having a security issue

________________________________________________________________________________
Matt.

Sun roof? Img_2014
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:50 pm

We don't have one - in fact I don't remember being offered it - I think it must be nice to have some extra light coming in.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

I've yet to see a ragtop roof fitted into a Danbury poptop. That would be something and probably not beyond the realms of possibility!

Sun roof? Ragtop10

Photo courtesy of webasto.co.uk

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Sun roof? Melogo11

Last edited by TimV on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 pm

We have the glass sunroof and out of choice would not have the glass type. Ours is in the middle of the roof and the roof bed covers it and you cannot have it open when it rains and if you have it make sure the hole gets cut the correct size (see an earlier thread from myself).
I am seriously contemplating taking my roof out and trying to find a skylight fitted to some of the earlier poptops where there is ventilation even when closed .
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:35 pm

We like ours as it gives another option if its warm but too blowy to have the side door open, and on hot days when the door is open it does seem to improve air flow through the van.

Don't do what I did the first time I used it, we had stopped for a brew, and I left it open before joining the motorway nearby, needless to say, after much rattling I had to creep slowly to the next junction. Embarassed At least I didnt drive off with the pop top up. Rolling Eyes

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional    
Very Happy                           Sun roof? Signat11
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 7:45 pm

TimV wrote:
I've yet to see a ragtop roof fitted into a Danbury poptop. That would be something and probably not beyond the realms of possibility!

Interesting idea Tim
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Ive got the skylight style sunroof. To be honest it drives me mad. In heavy rain it leaks, it rattles to the point of annoyance and the black out blind will not stay in place. On saying that a sunroof/vent is great for light and airflow. Like the idea of the ragtop if there was a guarantee it didn't leak.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am

We really like our glass sun roof although it would be nice if we could leave it open for ventilation without risk of flooding if it rains.

For anyone who remembers the torrential 10min downpour at VanFest last year - our roof was left open and we had happened to park in the direction of maximum effectiveness for collecting water.

A soak up and wipe down when we realised our error, a good airing when we got home and everything dried out without any trace.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Bileos

Bileos

Cabin : Exec 005

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 am

I'd would defiantly have one fitted if you can afford it - it is great for extra ventilation when cooking or hot steamy nights (not too many of those these days in our Olive) but you obviously can't use it when possibility of rain. Ours is fitted in the centre of the roof but I think if it were possible to choose where I would have had it further forward as it is obscured a bit by the bed. However it still lets in extra light and does help with condensation overnight...and we have had it slightly open when driving without any issues. The only problem we did have when we first used it was one morning after some overnight rain and I stupidly opened it to help with the condensation and of course some rain that had collected on the glass dripped all over me!
Back to top Go down
KC

KC

Cabin : Economy

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 am

I'd really like to see side opening panels on the canvas, as you get on Reimo conversions (also I believe they have them in the fantastic Mazda Bongo auto hi-top set-up).
They'd probably benefit from a mesh panel (to stop small people dropping out) but that would be a great feature, and gets around the waterproof / leaking issues.
Back to top Go down
KC

KC

Cabin : Economy

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 am

http://www.swcampers.co.uk/index.php/vw-t4-t5-reimo-conversion-elevating-roof
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:53 am

One of the bonuses with the Fiamma airvent is that it's got a permanent airflow system built into it so you get fresh air 24/7. It does mean that it can get cooler in winter too though. It can be opened to a reasonable angle in rain and has a built in mosquito net to stop the blighters getting in.

I'm just about to renew my airvent as the perspex top on my current one has aged. I'll be doing a photo report about the process. If like me, you go for a clear perspex top rather than a solid white one, it allows a decent amount of light in, not too dissimilar to a sunroof.

Sun roof? Airven10

Photo courtesy of fiammastore.com

I picked up a new vent just like the one in the photo for £55 at Camperjam. How much are those Webasto sunroofs?!? Wink

@brazilianvwbay

Sun roof? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 am

harryhornet wrote:
Ive got the skylight style sunroof. To be honest it drives me mad. In heavy rain it leaks

You just need to reseal it with some Sikaflex 512 - do an Ebay search - about £10. Good stuff.

@brazilianvwbay

Sun roof? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 am

Bileos wrote:
or hot steamy nights (not too many of those these days in our Olive)

Ooh err Exclamation Wink jocolor

Sorry to hear that.

@brazilianvwbay

Sun roof? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am

Yep, glad I've got the sunroof though it does have the annoying design flaw. It can't be used if there's any rain because of the recessed tray all the way round, into which water will collect and drip inside (and in one instance, pour, but that was human error - left open in heavy rain!!). Even after it has stopped raining, when there is water on the glass and you open the window it will then tip and fall in. But other than that, essential for extra light and venting.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 am

TimV wrote:
harryhornet wrote:
Ive got the skylight style sunroof. To be honest it drives me mad. In heavy rain it leaks

You just need to reseal it with some Sikaflex 512 - do an Ebay search - about £10. Good stuff.

Or if you don't precisely know where the leak is, but have a rough idea, you could try this. It searches out the leak then seals it.

Sun roof? Clutch11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sun roof? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun roof?   Sun roof? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sun roof?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: