brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Roof rack for Danbury T2?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
surfer chick

surfer chick

Cabin : Club

rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  Empty
PostSubject: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi guys, just registered here . I've recently bought a brand new Danbury import T2, I'm loving her and all the love she gets! (Not loving so much all the things that have gone wrong with her though, but that's a whole other story...)

I need to get a roof rack sorted so I can transport my surf boards. Seems like there's nothing readily available that will work. I don't want the retro style one Danbury offer, just something functional and practical that will be taken off when I'm not transporting my boards. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

I've fitted roof bars to mine. It means drilling through the poptop roof. Have a look HERE to see how I did it. Don't seem to have any trouble with it so far.

Before I fitted them I used the pull down bars on the underside of the roof and strapped them under that. My longboard was a bit too long for that though.

________________________________________________________________________________
rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 pm

I fitted roof rails to my BraziBay in order to fit crossbars. I have yet to drive with a board on top though - the one Max was displaying at this year's Volksworld Show was borrowed so I promised not to use it for a trial!

rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  Volksw10

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 am

Hi and welcome I use this one rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  C347ead9
Back to top Go down
surfer chick

surfer chick

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for your replies!

So drilling the roof looks like the only way other than the Danbury million quid retro offering?! Do those of you that have done this leave the rails in place all the time? I really don't want to do this! I'm guessing it will invalidate my warranty anyway if I do this, but I'm also worried about water ingress and rust. My van doesn't have a pop top btw.

It had occurred to me to maybe have a couple of anchor points drilled through the side gutters to attach soft rack straps to. Has anyone tried this?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 8:33 am

No poptop - no problem!

Just get the same kit that chairboy_paul has on his tintop:

rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  Img_3110

Not sure what make it is, suggest you send him a pm.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 9:59 am

There's a picture of something very similar that Denni had for his Bay. Have a look at the 5th and 6th post down in THIS thread

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 am

Hi and Welcome to the Forum - the place for info and help with your Brazi Bay Cool

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
surfer chick

surfer chick

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks guys, and for your warm welcomes Smile

I've inspected that sort of roof bar in Halfords already, the assistant was really helpful actually but said that he wasn't convinced they would do the job as the feet didn't want to fit flush to the gutter. They do have rubber pads on the feet though so do you reckon is this enough to compensate and get a tight fit?

I've never driven any vehicle with a roof rack on before and as you can probably tell am a bit nervous of this - visions of a 9ft sail taking off and hurtling down the M5 behind me leaving a trail of carnage in it's wake! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Use proper straps and you'll be fine. Don't use bungies what ever you do

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Yep I concur with kiteman - proper tie down straps and you'll be fine. Why anyone uses bungees these days I don't get - the amount of carnage they can create!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack for Danbury T2?    rack - Roof rack for Danbury T2?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Roof rack for Danbury T2?
Page 1 of 1