brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Putting up awning - having a mare

Go down 
+12
MarcusH
dizzylizard
happycamperhols
Dennis
Skytiger
Scooby
Tallulah
Sunny
AbsintheKombi
kiteman
TimV
EvoFylde
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

Cabin : Club

Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:27 pm

I was just hinting the same thing Sad((
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Thinking*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 9:35 pm

Just think of all the happy hassle free awning putting up sessions you will have with the right awning!! You don't need hassle when in your vw ,you are there to enjoy,
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Ok, tried again today. I had far more success. Tent went up far quicker. I had tent up in minutes. Pegging takes a lot longer but I got there.

I also managed to attach the awning to the van. Measured how much I needed for the bit between the roof rack and cut the third piece.

It was driving with rain and windy. Leaked a little but not much.

Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Ev110
Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Ev210
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Can I ask a really simple question, what order does everyone erect their tents???

And also, what are these? Are these just another point for me to peg the base to the ground?

Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Ev310
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Well done for getting it up. Because it's new, you may (will) find it leaks a little on the tunnel seam. A little of the sealant supplied with the awning applied along the seam will sort that out.
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Ahh, ok. Thanks.

Do you know what the part is for in my last pic?
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:18 pm

EvoFylde wrote:
Ahh, ok. Thanks.

Do you know what the part is for in my last pic?
Officially, no but I use it to peg out. I find the elastic helps give a better shape.
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks. I like your honesty Smile)))
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Only now catching up with this thread.
Sorry to read about your exeprience with the awning.
We have the Kyham Sleeper (like others on here) a traditional roof rack and we use the pole and clamp method - our pole is somehow the right length?
Not had any problems - guess we have been lucky.
In our opinion and in general, the figure of 8 method is far from great on Brazi Bays.
Additionally, we always park the Kombi and bring the awning to it to get it in the right position.
We then peg everthing - all loops.
When up we sprayed all stitched areas with Fabseal to try and add extra water proofing.
Then we also sprayed the tunnel area etc.
Hope you get everything resolved soon.

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks Scooby.

It was far better today. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Sorry to hear you're having problems, I have looked at the pictures and I think your awning is too far forward. I think you should move it back so the front just covers the rear of the front door frame. If you had pegged out the sides when you opened the sliding door the tip of it will pierce the awning. This will also help move it away from your rack. Hope you understand what I mean we learned the hard way.

Last edited by Skytiger on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

We use figure of eight and had no problems, even the gap around the roof rack, I always erect the awning and leave the sliding door open so you can position it not to catch the top of the door as stated previous most brazzies will have the wound of the sliding door in their awning. Tim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Well done !!! Loops are for pegging out ,gives better pegging out on uneven ground and helps in bad windy weather with movement of awning,agree with sky tiger ,you are better off starting from the door post and work to back this should eliminate the gap created by the roof rack ,as this will let water in ,watch the sliding door opening and catching the awning ,mine suffered the fate of the sliding door!! I notice you will have to use the figure 8 as no slot for pole.we normally erect awning without pegging and move to van to get the tunnel right pull tight and then peg out.dont forget to have all zips /,doors closed when pegging out. Are you going to keep it now ?
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 8:44 pm

I can't return it so will have a go and if it doesn't work sell on eBay Smile))))
Back to top Go down
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 pm

When I erected it yesterday I did start at the roof rack. Sadly that leaves me with a good half a metre of excess beading hanging off at the other end. I'll try that though again after all your advice.

With the loops that I was asking about, do you in coil them from the metal little clips they are on up make them straight or do you just peg them as they are?

We are going camping for 2 nights this coming weekend near Ullswater. It's going to be interesting!!!!!!!!

Chosen a fair full of amenities type of site that makes life easier. Starting simple before progressing further.
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 11:21 pm

I peg them as they are (coiled up) unless the ground is uneven and it puts too much strain on them.

The problem is if it can't be moved back because you have too much material means you can only open the sliding door halfway to get in and out as the corner will hit the awning. If you have half a metre then I think the awning might be too big for our Kombis, Sorry.

Saying that put it up while you are away, the camping fraternity is very friendly and a fellow camper may come up with a solution on site.

You'll have a great time anyway enjoy!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Ditto
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 am

Ok here's an idea.....

Why not work out where the centre point of the tunnel beading is. Centre that point at the mid point of your Kombi's sliding door. Use the figure 8 attachment to clip the tunnel to as much of your Kombi's gutter as possible.

Sew in 2 new guy rope rings one each at the point on the beading that is the corner of your Kombi. Now use 2 new guy ropes to hold the tunnel firmly in place at those points. See diag:
Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Evoawn10

Doing this has the advantage of having all the side of your campervan 'inside' the tunnel so unlike those of us who can only use the sliding door, you'll be able to open the driver's door too. In the pesky rain, that'll be a bonus!

You may have some excess beading either end but with a bit of ingenuity you ought to be able to tidy it.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
happycamperhols

happycamperhols

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 am

Picking up on this thread - what do you all recommend as the best awning for use with our Kombis?
I have 2 uses - one for hire use, which needs to be robust, waterproof, and as easy as possible to put up
- for personal use, which needs to be the same, but I will be a bit more careful with it than my hire customers !!!
I am tempted by a Khyam for myself, but don't want to let it go out on hire as will get ruined.
Currently using Outdoor revolution midi, which is small and light, but wouldn't trust it in any sort of wind.
What do you you all use, and how have you found them?
Thanks, Jill
PS Evofylde, hope your week-end away goes well, look forward to hearing about it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.happycamperholidays.co.uk
EvoFylde

EvoFylde

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks, Guys.

Tim, I'll try what you said.

When I erected it on Sunday, I connected all of the beading from the corner of the back of the van where the gutter starts to curve to the end of the far front roof rack leg.

Bar a little gap, it held firm. To answer your question above, I covered ALL the guttering from front of roof rack to where it curves at the back.

What's this spray that everyone keeps talking about to waterproof the material. i didn't receive any of this in my parcel. None.

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

happycamperhols wrote:
what do you all recommend as the best awning for use with our Kombis?

We have the Kyham Sleeper and we think it's great.
If you want/need extra sleeping capacity it can sleep up to four adults.
The version without the sleeping compartment should be just as good.
Easy to erect - pegging out can take a little while.
We use the pole and clamp method without problem.
Put some foam over the rear corner of the sliding door when opening.
This should stop the tunnel fabric from snagging on the corner of the door.
The footprint (excluding the sleeping area) is around 3m square.
Goes in the bag without a problem when packing up.
That's about it!

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

EvoFylde wrote:
What's this spray that everyone keeps talking about to waterproof the material. i didn't receive any of this in my parcel. None.
We bought our 'Fabseal' spray at a camping shop (not sure that spelling is right?)
It did not come with the awning.

Back to top Go down
happycamperhols

happycamperhols

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks Scooby, I like the look of that one! Jill
Back to top Go down
http://www.happycamperholidays.co.uk
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Scooby wrote:
EvoFylde wrote:
We bought our 'Fabseal' spray at a camping shop (not sure that spelling is right?)
It did not come with the awning.

I think its 'Fabsil'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting up awning - having a mare   Putting up awning - having a mare - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Putting up awning - having a mare
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next