www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
Next club meet: KOMBI Kaper 2017!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!

Share | 

DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
docmark

Cabin : Exec 022

PostSubject: DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Another plea for information!
- can anyone offer guidance on simple self-servicing and maintenance - outside normal service intervals?
I am not a mechanic but have tools and a grease-gun!
I want to make the very best of our camper van and wonder if anyone has committed to "print" and pics the basics we should do regularly
In particular I want to be able to lubricate anything that needs it regularly - and make sure that I don't miss the odd grease-nipple that is hidden away through not knowing about it!
(Our van has been lowered and has PAS)
Look forward to advice or a maintenance list which others follow - ideally with pics
I wonder if anyone else would like this as well?

Thanks

Mark
Back to top Go down
osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 am

Not for a BraziBay but this may help as the general principles apply.

The printers made an error when running the April 2013 issue of Volksworld magazine. So the publishers have put the correct version of the article on 'Basic Lubrication' on the internet.
http://www.volksworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/92-95-How-To-April-2013.pdf
It does have pictures too.
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

Cabin : Flight 002

PostSubject: Re: DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:07 am

The front beam needs greasing about every 6 months or so. If you have a look under the front of the kombi you will see a load of grease nipples. There's more about it HERE

________________________________________________________________________________

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:16 am

Would be time well spent to top-up any existing, or add new, anti-rust treatment.
http://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/t2538-dinitrol-easier-anti-rust-treatment?highlight=rust
osg
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am

To be honest Docmark, if you are having your Kombi serviced at the allotted intervals, (mileage or date), it shouldn't be necessary to to intermediate greasing.

I would find a reliable garage, stick with them and build up a friendly relationship.

You can easily check if they have done a proper job, there should be grease oozing out from the joints in the area where the grease nipples are, check a new oil filter has been fitted, and the oil will be self evident on the dip stick.

The other checks you can do are mainly visual between services.

Weekly:-
Engine oil level
Brake fluid level
Washer bottle level
Tyre Pressures (spare pressure is at rear tyre pressure level, you can always let air out if front puncture.)
Tyres for uneven wear
All external lights, horn, washers and wipers, and make sure light lenses are clean.

Monthly:-
Coolant level
Battery level if appropriate
Check reservoirs, hoses and pipes for obvious leaks
Handbrake operation
Washer jets for direction
Wiper blades for condition
Fan belt for condition.

As necessary, lubricate door locks, higes, and sliding door gear with a PTFE based lubricant spray

In addition, make sure that the transverse brake bar is lubricated by the garage as it isn't mentioned in the service schedule.

Lastly, get a touch up stick for your colour, and the VW white, and at the first appearance of any stone chips touch them up straight away, the white paint especially is not the best in the world.

Back to top Go down

DIY lubrication and regular checks to do at home?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: