www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi

Share | 

Hello from Glasgow

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Hello All,

Im Gordon from Glasgow - any other Scots on the site? Just bought a 2006 air-cooled red combi. Took it on its first run to Glencoe at the weekend.

Didnt go too well, and got towed back to Glasgow.

Got to campsite OK, slept overnight (-9 degrees though, brrr).

In morning, drove van to opening of campsite, stopped it. Couldnt restart it, eventually found the "ten-second rule" on your forum - thanks for this! What's it about though - is it electronics or bubbles in fuel or something? Should be a sticky note!

This worked, van started and then accelerator proceeded to get stuck down on floor (think Sandra Bullock in Speed!). Then metal linkage fell through floor, I had a tinker with it, thought had sorted it and tried accelerator again. This snapped the accelerator linkage (the bit that holds elbow joint to the vehicle). Fortunately have rescue with Adrian Flux who were great, and got towed back to Glasgow.

Van now in for repairs - hope it wont be too costly.

Has anyone else had a similarly eventful first trip? Please dont say all trips will be like this! The van was not cheap and I hoped that paying so much money meant I was buying reliability.

Van seems to have some other issues too so have been searching the site, issues are:-
Rust next to driver seat - despite waxoyl - how often does it need treated?
Steering seems crazy loose - am pondering Lite-Steer, cause driving in opposite direction to a lorry is frankly terrifying!
Gears - good grief, are they really supposed to be like this, no wonder some of you have snapped the gear stick!
One thing I havent found commented on is the raft you get up your bum from the rock and roll seat when youre sleeping - maybe it was only cos it was minus 9, but is there a solution!

This forum is brilliant, with loads of great info - thanks to all who have contributed - especially whoever discovered the ten second start!

I promise not too post any more longwinded posts, just had some stuff to get off my chest!

Hope to meet some of you over the summer at a sleepover, and give me a wave if you see me on the road!

Gordon

Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:19 pm

OK, so tried to upload photo, not sure what did wrong, as its now a file.

Also meant draft, not raft from rock and roll bed!
Back to top Go down
docmark

Cabin : Exec 022

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:26 pm

10 second rule? (no response on search!)
Back to top Go down
docmark

Cabin : Exec 022

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 pm

sorry - found it - just having a stupid moment (these do worryingly seem to come more frequently!)
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Quote:
With the engine off, hold the accelerator to the floor, turn on the ignition for 10 seconds (don't try to start engine), ignition off, foot off and then start up as normal.

Worked a dream! Dont know why though.
Back to top Go down
oldskoolsboy

Cabin : Exec 101

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Gorden and welcome, talk about terrifying steering drove/tacked across seven bridge today not sure i want too experience that again cheers mike
Back to top Go down
kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've been pretty unlucky so far. Journeys normally go a lot smoother than that. A lot of the problems could have down to the previous owner.

Even though these are fairly new they are still based on a 30+ year old design so don't expect too much from them. Don't know what your mechanical skills are like but might be worth taking it somewhere for a good service and check over. Things like the steering may just need a tighten.

Have a good search though the site there's a fair bit of information here. If you can't find what your looking for don't be afraid to ask, we're here to help.

Hope to see you at the sleepover

________________________________________________________________________________

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi Gordon - sorry your first trip was so eventful. The rust next to the driver seat is well documented here. It is due to a plate in the wheel arch with a poor seal. Make sure the seal is sealed and then treat the rust accordingly. Good luck with the repairs.
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks folks,

Oldskoolsboy, will definitely avoid the Severn bridge in a wind - sounds dreadful, tacking did make me laugh though!

I will blame the previous owner, Kiteman! He is a friend and so will be giving him a ribbing!
Am not mechanically minded but the garage seem to know what they are doing - there was another Danbury in there, which is either a good or a bad sign.

Will get onto the rust and seals when I get the van back - thanks JLS.
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi Gordon welcome to the forum, don't worry there is me and buzzinfinity in the central belt so help is close by.

I replaced my gearstick with an empi shifter, made a big difference.

Steering like Kiteman says needs a tighten.

Replacing accelarator cable with a one piece item from RJES is worth while also.

Tappets are worth adjusting, last oil change? Air filer? spark Plugs? Gearbox oil change? suspension greased?

Draft up your bum not sure about that one Shocked

No not all trips are like this, I think a bit of time spent going through the whole kombi will reap more reliability.
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Skytiger,

I will get the garage onto the simpler things - van has only done 8500 miles so the simpler things like oil and plugs may be OK - but will get them checked out.

I think I should do the EMPI shifter switch - thanks for the tip - do you know any garage which could do this?

For the accel cable switch (RJES) - Ive read through the install thread you contributed too, I think this cable may well need replaced (there was plenty of grease so its not that). Your description of poor responsiveness and sticking sounds exactly like what I have been feeling underfoot. Its too big a job for me to do though, would be way out of my depth, again do you know any garage I could get this done?

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 am

Welcome, though it does sound like your first experience didn't go too well. Skytiger seems to have you well covered for the mechanical bits. As you'll see from his threads, he likes getting stuck in Wink Re the draft, given how cold it was, I'd imagine it was nothing more serious than the gap in the seat into the storage area below. There's a lot of cold area in that space, especially as it's right to the floor. A simple mattress topper would sort that out. Anyway, in the soon to be heat of our impending summer (excuse me while I choke on that one) you'll be grateful for the cooling breeze Smile
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:52 am

Hi and welcome.
I went through a similar scenario to you a year ago. Don't worry everything you've described is easily fixed. It sounds like the previous owner was a little lapse with the maintainence schedule. Like Skytiger says it is really worth getting your tappets adjusted. This will almost certainly solve your starting issue. My Kombi is the same year as yours and I get them done every 6 months.

As for the draft up your bum. I think you've just revealed what a Scotsman wears under his kilt!
Back to top Go down
irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:17 am

Welcome aboard, hope you get problems sorted. There's always a draft somewhere with a Kombi, try using sleeping bag, usually more cosy than duvets.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 am

Hi & Welcome to the Forum
Most points have been covered by the previous replies
Good luck with the repairs
Hope to see you at the Sleepover
All the best
Roo b Roo
flower

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi and welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Welcome from the South (don't often get to say that!)

If you've sorted everything in time how about heading this side of the Border for the Northern Chapter Meet? 10/11/12 May in God's Own County. For more details search for Northern England Chapter Meet.

You'd be made very welcome. Smile

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks Everyone,

Hope things will be sorted relatively soon - just ordered lots of parts!

Wont be able to make the North England meet that weekend - sorry, sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 pm

@gordonmac wrote:
I think I should do the EMPI shifter switch - thanks for the tip - do you know any garage which could do this?

For the accel cable switch (RJES), again do you know any garage I could get this done?

I'm sure Skytiger's "workshop" could help you out. Wink
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks, read your renovation thread - you've done amazing work and your van looks fantastic. Am very jealous of all that antirust paint!

Thanks for the workshop offer. Ive ordered the shifter and the accelerator cable. I think the shifter looks relatively straightforward. My van is still in for repairs (Paisley VW centre) and so am hoping they will be able to install shifter and cable - if not I may take you up on your very kind offer! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
sparkysteve

Cabin : Exec 035

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi. Had the same accelerator issue on my bus today.

Just ordering the 1 piece cable and hopefully all problems will be resolved.

Look on the bright side. A campervan is the best thing to breakdown in :-) at least you can make a cup of tea.

Visit my T2c Blog at http://t2bay.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2bay.blogspot.co.uk
A@C

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi Gordon,
Like you, I thought when I bought "Prudence" new iin 2009 that I was buying reliability. Sadly no but we are still together. Seems like if you've got one of these buses you need to be as keen on sorting and painting as you do in using them for camping in. Wishing you better luck with your next trip. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:59 pm

A@C - wasn't your van white last time I saw it?

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree Abs - someone's been Tangoed.

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer and Tango - the Fizzy Kombi Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Update:-

Van finally back from repairs today.
Wanted to say thanks for everyones advice - especially Skytiger.

New EMPI gearstick - cant believe how much better this makes the gears (reverse still a challenge, but am sure will never need it!).

New Accelerator cable from RJES - huge improvement - there is now control, where previously was power was an on-off phenomenon.

Tappets and various oils and greases dealt with.

The steering is still an issue - still wandering on motorway. Think I may get the Litesteer installed (anyone know where to get this done in Scotland?).

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Glasgow   

Back to top Go down

Hello from Glasgow
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays-
Jump to: