brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display

Go down 
+7
Scooby
osg
Sunny
dazdub
irishman
dizzylizard
kiteman
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 8:46 am

Tallulah wrote:
Maybe the system needs a shirt delay between starting the engine and requesting any data. The ecu is probably busy at engine start and may get confused if data requests arrive at the same time.
Thinking the same thing. Can't program the UART though. The only other way is to build a time delay circuit controlled by the Arduino to delay the power coming on to the UART

________________________________________________________________________________
Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 2:07 pm

It seems that the UART needs to initialise before the van will start, takes about 2 seconds. All I do now is turn the ignition on, wait for the LCD to switch, which means the UART has initialised, then start the engine. Isn't a problem as I do that in my diesel car anyway waiting for the glow plugs to heat up.

________________________________________________________________________________

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Kiteman said

Quote :
It seems that the UART needs to initialise before the van will start, takes about 2 seconds. All I do now is turn the ignition on, wait for the LCD to switch, which means the UART has initialised, then start the engine
This is getting somewhat complicated now.

I also have an after-market alarm and immobiliser fitted - could this be a further clash?
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Couldn't tell you for sure but I doubt it would cause a problem. The aftermarket alarm/immobiliser isn't connected to the ECU.

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 pm

My preferred option would be to leave the cable to the OBD socket permanently connected but with the 'box' unpowered. Then, only after starting the engine, to power the 'box' from the cigarette lighter socket. This cigarette lighter connection would be removed before any attempt to re-start the engine.
This setup would presumably have no effect on the ECU when connected but unpowered, and would avoid any change to the wiring of the 'van. Is this the case?
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm away at the moment OSG. Will look into it when I'm back

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks Kiteman
No rush. Do have a good break. I see from your other posts that you are enjoying the adoration of the public as the lucky driver of a BraziBay
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 am

Tried starting ginger today with just the OBD cable plugged in and still have the same problem, she starts then immediately cuts out. If your going to keep the OBD plugged in you will have to wait for the UART to initialise before the van will start. The system does work if you start the van then plug everything in, but that is a bit of a faff.
For me the system is working good enough so for the time being in not going to take it any further.

On a positive note the trip back from Devon took 4hrs and it worked the whole time.

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Kiteman
Just to be clear - the van will not start if the OBD (with disconnected power pin) is in place and there is no power to any of the components?

If so it would be disappointing and I would not be able to use it as it would interfere with nornal stop/start running.

I would be interested if you have some time later on to investigate the kind of display for 'engine load'
Can the LCD (or an alternative one) show 3 functions eg Temp, RPM and engine load?

osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes. The van will not start if the OBD cable is plugged in with no power to the components.

The LCD can show as much as you can fit on the display. RPM, Temp and engine load should all fit on the small LCD. With a bigger one you can fit even more.

When I get a bit of time I'll have a look into engine load to see what the info is like

Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Have been looking at the Garmin Mechanic with ecoRoute that uses your satnav this give you more that you want Osg. Tim
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the suggestion of the Garmin Mechanic, Tim
Sadly our Garmin has no WiFi - also do you think when connected to the OBD in the BraziBay that it could create the same starting problem that Kiteman has found with his version?
osg
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 9:28 pm

There was a thread on here a long time ago someone had fitted one and the connection to the obd was a plug and not wifi. Do not believe it will give the same problem may be worth contacting Garmin just in case. Tim
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Ive had a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the OBD port for ages without any issues, so I don't believe its having something plugged in that's the issue.
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 9:37 am

Kiteman said
Quote :
The parts used were

Arduino Uno Microcontroller. This runs the code and talks to the OBDII interface controller, it also sends the information to the LCD display. The code needs to be programmed yourself. I have all the working code and can send that out if needed

OBDII UART board. This talks to the ECU and sends the requested information to the Arduino microcontroller. This is already programmed and just needs to be wired up

Serial LCD. This displays the information.

LCD cable. To Connect the LCD to the Arduino

OBDII to DB9 cable. This is the lead that connects the UART to the ECU port. It IS NOT the same as a ODBII to Serial that is used for a laptop.
Kiteman,
Considering Sunny's comment that 'just having something plugged in to the OBD socket is unlikely to be a problem' - is it possible to to add the components one by one (cable first etc) until the culprit is found? Just wondered if it could be switched at a point to isolate the factor that is interfering with start-up of the engine.
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 pm

The culprit is the UART. On the OBD cable there is only one wire that sends data to the UART, an isolation relay could be fitted inline with the cable so it is only connected when plugged in.

If a lot of people wanted the device I would look into it further, but to be honest I have it working good enough for me now and probably won't take it any further.

If you want to have a play around with it yourself I will help as much as I can. I can let you know exactly what you will need, or even build the system and send it to you but for me it's too much hastle now it's installed in the van

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Kiteman
Thanks, would like to follow this up and ask you to build a plug-in system for me. Please work out the costs and include something for your time, send a PM of details and I'll let you have a cheque.
This assumes that I have understood correctly and it would work like this;-
1) The LCD would display 3 things (RPM, coolant temp, engine load)
2) OBD cable can be left plugged in but prevented from affecting start-up of the van by an isolating relay which leaves UART unpowered - this seems to be the critical issue.
3) Cigarette lighter connection to activate the system (including tripping the isolating relay to power the UART)
This would mean I have to be sure to pull out the cigarette lighter connection before operating the starter motor - but I would usually expect to do that whatever was attached there.
Hope I have this correct
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 10:19 am

1. Yes

2. I think the issue is with the Data wire to the UART.  Mine is isolated from the power and I still have the problem

3. In theory it will work but this is untested so no guaranty

Sent you a PM

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Kiteman
Have sent PM reply with query whether modifications to just the OBD cable (power and data lines) could solve the clash with starting the van
osg
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Kiteman
Have sent another PM - hoping to have this go ahead one way or another.
Also, as an aside, have been bought a 'Piface' from element14 as a controller to attach to my RaspberryPi. ?any similarities to the Arduino?
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 6:27 pm

I haven't used a raspberry pi yet so not sure but from what I can make out the Arduino does what the raspberry pi with a piface does, only a lot smaller and simpler by the looks of it.

The arduino is more of a stand alone device that relies more on sensors or you program to control something.

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Tried fitting a relay to the data wire in the OBD cable and it looks like its solved the problem with the van not starting. This means the cable can be left plugged in the whole time and you don't have to wait for the UART to initialise before you can start the van Smile

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Going ahead with Kiteman's latest version as it does not involve any modifications to the Campervan - just a cable to plug into the OBD socket and a wire to feed power from the cigarette lighter socket. The plan is to have the display at the centre of the dash near the windscreen (fixing hole there already with an unused? screw) and main unit fixed behind RHS kick-plate.
osg
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Following on from this thread, I've been working on a removable unit for OSG and finally have it finished, here's a picture of how it looks fitted to the top of my dash.

Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 Dsc_0110

It's showing Engine Coolant Temperature, RPM and Engine Load. Totally removable and doesn't require any modification to anything. It also allows the OBD cable to stay plugged in.

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:19 pm

Looks good.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display   Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Digital RPM and Coolant Temp Display
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next