www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi

Share | 

Advice please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
afcma

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi all, just joined the forum and would love some free advice...After years of dreaming I'm hopefully going to be in a position to buy a bus in the next 6 months or so. And was wondering if anyone here could help with a bit of advice? Do i go for a fully restored early or late bay with all the potential problems of a bus 30/40 odd years old or do I go for a new/second hand brazilian bay. Does anyone know where the Viking style roof can be bought and if they can be added to the brazilian bays? I would need maximym sleeping and seating as we could have 3-4 kids on each trip with us . Rust is a major worry for me as I have read that the brazilian bay will have major problems in the future, how do you deal with this problem?? Also does anyone know anywhere for MOT/services in the Luton area. Thanks Mark
Back to top Go down
Firebird

Cabin : Exec 054

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Hiya and welcome to the forum.  Cannot advise either way on old or new but have had both - a 1972 bay for over 10 years and sold 14 years ago in a moment of utter madness (although i gather he is still going strong around the Birmingham area) and now a 2 year old Brazilian (Gulliver) which i have had for 6 months.  I love/loved them both but I get into Gulliver pretty sure that i am going to arrive at my destination and knowing that he is not going to die on me in the middle of the rush hour roundabout.  I'll never get used to the sound of the new engine though.  Other than that, they are pretty similar ( i swear the ashtray is the original) but with 4 children of my own i would chose reliability over engine clatter any day.
As for the viking roof - yes, i would love one too.  Gulliver is a 'diamond' and then we had a single seat especially made and put in behind the driver's.  We all fit in, and sleep with the littlest across the cab in a bunk and the grottiest on the floor with the dog.  We could probably fit an extra one on the King Sized bed but hey, i don't actually want to!  Awning goes up really quickly so there is loads of space.  Have a look at the forum as there is a company who does the Westy roof on the brazilians so surely it is just a matter of time before they do the Viking too.  Good luck.

Firebird
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi and welcome. As a matter of interest where did you read that rust will be a major problem for BraziBays in the future? If you look after your Kombi and take some sensible precautions this is not the case. Do not let that put you off.
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 pm

@harryhornet wrote:
where did you read that rust will be a major problem for BraziBays in the future?
Sadly a tale told by many a splitty/early/late bay owner, who resent the fact that Brazilians tend to work when you turn the key Smile
Back to top Go down
kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm

As mentioned above the rust issue is a load of nonsense.  At least with a Brazilian bay you know the bodywork is good to start with and any rust can be dealt with straight away. With a referb you don't know what they have done. It could just be filler and a bit of paint and you'll end up in a far worse position.

As for the roof, I don't think the viking will work as the roofline is different on the Brazilian.  But there's nothing to say you can't remove the whole roof and get a classic roof with the Viking top fitted.

You will also get better mpg from a brazilian as well

________________________________________________________________________________

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 pm

I noticed there was a comment on Danbury's FB page today having a similar pop. Such negativity out there!

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Looking around the Brighton Breeze last weekend, I noticed corrosion on a Classic Bay that was restored to a high level just last year.

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer and Tango - the Fizzy Kombi Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi & Welcome to the Forum
We had a 1972 Low Light (K reg) Bay before our Brazilian
Whilst we loved both, they are like chalk and cheese.
Would not swap Scooby now!

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
afcma

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks for the advice... Tbh I think a brazilian is what I'll go for as I really need something reliable. I take it most on here's vans have come from danbury?? From what I've read they are an honest and decent business which to me is very important. Anyway I'll keep you updated
Back to top Go down
Gina Tonic

Cabin : Exec 020

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi afcma and welcome. We bought our used Brazibay from Steven at www.snailtrail.co.uk. Only about 20 miles from you. There were no hidden 'suprises' and nice selection to choose from.
Good luck with whichever Bay you buy.Smile 
Tracey
Back to top Go down
Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:23 pm

We got Scooby from the original owner
There are plenty of second hand Kombis out there
Plus we ended up with a nice first drive home from Derby in the snow Shocked

Back to top Go down
sunny1

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:12 pm

I got Sunny from Danbury and don't regret the decision of buying new over old at all. I needed the reliability  of new for my children especially my disabled son.It is my day to day vehicle and I have never been let down. The kids love Sunny just as much as I do Very Happy

"Life is for Living" sunny
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am

HI Mark,

We may have the answer for you!

We have a 09 Brazilian Camper with a Westfalia style pop top roof in stock at the moment so a larger bed up the top.

It also seats 5.

http://www.vwkampers.com/classic-campers/2008-brazilian-camper-huge-spec-seats-/-sleeps-5-lhd-%C2%A324995.htm

And we do also restore high end classics with new engines, gearboxes, interiors using soda blasted shells with a 12 month warranty on a classic camper.

Have a look at our site.

www.vwkampers.co.uk.

www.braziliankampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.vwkampers.com
Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:00 am

Great looking kombi.

www.vdubcamperhire.com
Twitter: @tallulah_vw
Facebook: facebook.com/vdubcamperhire

Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vdubcamperhire.com
Scooby

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:35 pm

FAB looking Kombi Cool 

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 pm

It is very smart and keenly priced.

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer and Tango - the Fizzy Kombi Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
chairboy_paul

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:13 pm

@TimV wrote:
Looking around the Brighton Breeze last weekend, I noticed corrosion on a Classic Bay that was restored to a high level just last year.
Too true Tim.. We went to Busfest and the quality of the old show vans was pretty poor I thought. Lots of rust on show. This myth about Brazibays rusting is just that as people have been saying..

My take on it is this. Everyone drives around in their modern cars which keep really nice and they have forgotten the horror show rusting of 70s cars when they were new.. VWs included in this!

The Brazibays are "new" but people need to realise they are "new 1970's style" and need rust protection and looking after, The design is old school and has water traps and damp spots built in .. I believe that's called character!
Back to top Go down
lilyvdub

Cabin : Exec 024

PostSubject: Re: Advice please   Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Exactly , keep them clean ,spend time washing AND drying ,this way you can see the areas that are prone to rusting and catch it before it's to late, sometimes it's unavoidable ,but getting it repaired ASAP stops it getting further , it's the nature of the vehicle .
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

PostSubject: Our choice   Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi mark
My better half has always wanted a t2. In the end we bought a new one from Danbury . Having read quite a lot of info about reliability issues and given the fact that it is her everyday car it was the only sensible choice.
feliz
Luton
Back to top Go down

Advice please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: