brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

How to lay a new vinyl floor

Go down 
+3
Skytiger
TimV
harryhornet
7 posters
AuthorMessage
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor Empty
PostSubject: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:17 pm

I bought a lovely piece of red and white chequered vinyl this week from Madmatz. My job this weekend is to fit it into my Kombi but I'm not too sure how to go about the job. I thought I'd start by making a paper template of the floor area and then cut the vinyl to size. I'm then wondering whether to remove the old flooring or lay the new vinyl over the top?  I'm also contemplating what to stick it down with.
If anyone's done this job or can give me some advice I'd be really grateful.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 pm

If you've already got a flat surface, I'd suggest making use of that. Didn't Madmatz give you any idea as to what to stick it down with? Don't forget to silicone seal the edges too to prevent any liquid getting down the sides.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor Melogo11
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I didn't buy a ready made kit from Madmatz but just a length of vinyl so there were no suggestions as to fitting. I noticed from their website that their floor tiles should be stuck with acrylic adhesive so I'm guessing it'll be the same. I like the idea of using the original flat surface as I'm not keen on taking up the vinyl that's already there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 am

Power spray adhesive , which carpet fitter/floor layers use very sticky!! If you have the table leg holder you really need to take this out to give you a better finish , this is screwed into base of van and easy to remove existing floor has been plyed so this needs to remain, the existing vinyl is quite easy to lift( patience!!) this will leave your floor sticky from the original adhesive, so you need to do your prep work before you lift the vinyl ie make a template or setting out.you will see once out what needs to be done!! Ie a Raggy cut!! Needs to be cleaned up and rust proofed. Fit the table leg last with the screws and plenty of sealant internally and underseal and waxoil externally . Leave to set !!! You will find that the floor space is not " square" so you need to work from one edge . I chose the seat side along with the cabinets to get the best set up, with the cuts to the front. Also the door strip is best removed for a good finish , I used no nails and g clamps to restick again leave to set.! Patience is the key, have fun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:45 am

Ps
As Tim rightly says sealant all round the edges gives a good finish and stops and water ingress, use masking tape on floor and cabinets to get the best finish, if you have never" sealed " anything before ask someone who has otherwise it will look awfull and spoil all your hard work
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Spray adhesive is the way to go. Just take care if your wife is holding the lino when you're spraying as the spray is a nightmare to get off her forehead and fringe! You have been warned Smile
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 8:42 pm

I used PVA glue on my floor tiles, gives you a bit more time to line everything up. With contact adhesive when the two surfaces touch they stick almost instantly

________________________________________________________________________________
floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 10:21 pm

I went for the spray in the end. It took most of the day to make the (very exact!) template and then carefully remove the old vinyl. I found it difficult to find the spray adhesive but eventually got some in non other than Allied Carpets. It's all down and tomorrow I've got the tricky job of sealing the edges. Looks great. Pics to follow.
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Job done ! Thank you for your advice everyone. All I need now is the piece of trim that runs along the edge of the vinyl by the sliding door. I managed to break the old one when it was removed. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get one of these? A noticed that Vanwerks do a nice chrome one but it says it needs to be riveted. Not sure if I've got the tools for that.

floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor Camper10
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 2:02 pm

That looks brilliant.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Well done HH, looks superb in those colours!  Cool 

It's true they do need to be riveted as using a screw will impinge on the movement of the door runners. I guess you could always Araldite it on - but it's on forever then. At least with a rivet you can drill it out if you wanted to remove it for whatever reason.

Another tool to add to your collection maybe? I bought one years ago, they're straightforward to use.

Draper Rivet Gun

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 pm

I think I'll go for the Vanwerks door trim. Riveting doesn't look too
difficult and you can never have enough tools in your garage.  bounce

Last edited by harryhornet on Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 4:25 pm

harryhornet wrote:
I think I'll go for the Vanwerks door trim.

Rude not to go for the led version surely ...  Wink 

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 5:00 pm

I looked at the LED version but I'm a little confused as it says it can be connected to your courtesy light switch for activation when opening your sliding door. I don't have a courtesy light that comes on when the door is opened. ?...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Classic Bay's did. Kombis don't. More to go wrong!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm

I used an ordinary piece of aluminium carpet edging, the type you use when carpet joints to vinyl

floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 11:23 am

Just a point if you decided to screw the trim in. You need to fit you screw take it out and cut it to size. Otherwise the door roller gets caught
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Well done HH, looks good.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm

HH it looks FAB  Cool 

. . . but who's started playing noughts and crosses on it?  Laughing

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to lay a new vinyl floor   floor - How to lay a new vinyl floor Empty

Back to top Go down

How to lay a new vinyl floor
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: Maintenance/Technical :: Kombi Kreative-
Jump to: