brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Pot holes!

Go down 
+10
JLS 62
Feliz
dizzylizard
MarcusH
AbsintheKombi
TimV
Sunny
Kaz
harryhornet
irishman
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Just returned home from a long weekend at center Parcs, Longleat. Travelled there and back via M27 then the A36 through Salisbury. OMG, the A36 is a nightmare, full of potholes, especially between Salisbury and Frome. My good lady got seasick from me having to swerve round them all, even had to cross hazard warning lines into the oncoming carriageway to avoid some of them. Beware if you have to take this route, passed two cars with knackered wheels, fortunately 'Mish' survived unscathed.
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Of course you could drive into the potholes and get your Kombi lowered courtesy of Wiltshire County Council. Although you'd have to wait months and prove that they didn't know the pothole was there in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Cabin : Exec 057

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:07 am

It's a similar story in our area, pothole dodging has become the norm. Not so bad if you know where they are!
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:33 am

One of the reasons I'm glad I don't have low profile tyres.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:49 am

The one thing I must congratulate the Scots on. Every 2 weeks I'm up in the Edinburgh/Fife region and always note the excellent condition of the roads there. Smooth and no potholes. A delight to drive on.

It was the same both times I've driven off the ferry at Portsmouth back from France. The roads in France are equally well maintained and without issues. As soon as Max's wheels hit the tarmac in England, the drive became laborious. Why do we put up with this cr*p?!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Pot holes! Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:06 am

Nothing lowered on my van, the higher the better! (Not cool, I know) Cool

I agree Tim, we seem to have a different attitude to the rest of the continent. French road works are carried out overnight quickly with little disruption to traffic. Here, we have regular pothole repairs down our lane, mainly because of heavy farm traffic, but it's a case of cosmetic short term repair until the next heavy rainfall washes it away again. We've given up complaining and are resigned to acrobatic driving.  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 am

French roads are repaired because the French would be up in arms if they weren't (very belligerent lot, the French). Further, they are quite happy to spend money, whether they have it or not.

We on the other hand, don't like spending money, much less on important things. However, we are very good at giving pots of the stuff away to over paid MPs, MEPs, quangos, councilors, and anyone else that can beg a buck for free.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:49 am

Just a note of caution about the broad brush praise for French roads -in the Dordogne last year the roads were some of the worse we've ever driven Absinthe along.

Of course, if we wanted first class services in the UK we'd have to pay for them. Hands up who's prepared to pay some more tax?  Twisted Evil 

Just me then?  Razz

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 am

Me, if the money for services actually went to pay for services we need. HS2 anyone....?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 am

On a political note
In Sheffield all the roads and pavements are being relaid and all the streetlight being replaced - I think it's costing £3 billion over 5 years. So that must be where some of our tax is going. For years we must have had the worst roads in England.
So I would like to thank Nick Clegg for making this possible. Where does he live?
Surely a coincidence!
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 am

Sorry your foray into Wiltshire was so traumatic Irishman, but the County Council, like other councils are rubbish.

As Sunny says they love spending our money willy-nilly in the wrong places. They have just spent thousands of pounds on the previously de-restricted (60mph) roads going out of the village reducing the speed limit to 50mph with all the associated road works and repeater signs.

Only problem is that it was nigh impossible to exceed 50 anyway because of the road layout, even in a sports car. (I can't recall any accidents on that stretch of road in 25 years I've lived there, so that can't be their excuse, although oddly enough there was an accident two days after the signage went up, because some idiot had put a large de-restriction sign immediately opposite the crossroads with a main road. It looks the driver was coming along the new 50 section, picked up the sign in his headlights and instead of stopping at the give way lines accelerated over the junction, resulting in two cars T boning, going through the hedges and ending up in the field. Good bit of planning that)

I must admit that they have repaired some of the potholes in the village, on the lower road, may be just a co-incidence, but it is where three parish councillors live.

Rant now over.....back to state normal.   Smile
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Kaz wrote:

I agree Tim, we seem to have a different attitude to the rest of the continent. French road works are carried out overnight quickly with little disruption to traffic. Here, we have regular pothole repairs down our lane, mainly because of heavy farm traffic, but it's a case of cosmetic short term repair until the next heavy rainfall washes it away again. We've given up complaining and are resigned to acrobatic driving.  affraid 

Nothing lowered on Feliz either - we like the higher ride height- The VW fraternity appear to be pre-occupied with the popular term slamming ! I say no ...
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:37 pm

it strikes me that it doesn't really matter where you live - the real issue is accountability - councils won't fund repairs - highways agency say it is local council responsibility and round in circles you go. We have to put up with this C**p because in the main the people that we elect are not taking up office as a matter of "calling" but mostly as a means to improve their personal circumstances
sorry a bit of a rant and perhaps not a view shared by the masses !
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Kaz wrote:
Me, if the money for services actually went to pay for services we need. HS2 anyone....?  Wink 

Please don't get me started on HS2!

How can so much money be spent (hopefully not) on producing nothing !!  All the proposed jobs etc. are pure supposition.  And knocking a few minutes off a journey - wow. Why don't we just make the trains faster?

What an absolute waste of money.

Oh, and potholes! Here in Leicester they are chronic - sadly I am mainly a cyclist and often have to swerve - possibly to the annoyance of motorists behind me - to avoid them - for which I apologise!
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 11:20 am

[quote="Feliz"]
Kaz wrote:

Nothing lowered on Feliz either - we like the higher ride height- The VW fraternity appear to be pre-occupied with the popular term slamming ! I say no ...

At least I won't feel out of place at the sleepover! Is it my age, I don't understand why vans are 'lowered'? I'd be terrified of scraping the underside over every bump in the road.
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 am

JLS 62 wrote:
Kaz wrote:

Please don't get me started on HS2!

How can so much money be spent (hopefully not) on producing nothing !!  All the proposed jobs etc. are pure supposition.  And knocking a few minutes off a journey - wow. Why don't we just make the trains faster?

What an absolute waste of money.

Oh, and potholes!  Here in Leicester they are chronic - sadly I am mainly a cyclist and often have to swerve - possibly to the annoyance of motorists behind me - to avoid them - for which I apologise!

Imagine if the amount they are proposing on building the HS2 (£50 billion at the last count?) was spent on road improvements, rail and bus links, safe cycle routes - or is this too simplistic? Still, the government seem to be running out of sensible reasons to build it.
Back to top Go down
absquatulation

absquatulation

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Although I'm not a fan of the Government, I understand that the idea of HS2 is that this will attempt to pull work out of London and the South East.

I thought the van was blue, but now I'm told its Lilac
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 4:51 pm

Then why not spend the money on improving the infrastructure of the whole country, including faster broadband speed in towns and villages etc? There's a good article on the pro's and cons of the HS2 project on the BBC News website. I enjoy a good rant.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Kaz wrote:
I enjoy a good rant.  Very Happy 

Noted!  Basketball 

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Pot holes! Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Laughing 
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Kaz wrote:
Feliz wrote:
Kaz wrote:

At least I won't feel out of place at the sleepover! Is it my age, I don't understand why vans are 'lowered'? I'd be terrified of scraping the underside over every bump in the road.

Sorry but you can't geat a good slammed van !!
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 6:39 pm

JLS 62 wrote:
Sorry but you can't geat a good slammed van !!

Or beat one....  rabbit 

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Kaz

Kaz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 8:26 pm

I looked up 'slammed van' on google images - I'm not doing that to Iris!  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptyFri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 pm

on a similar thread look at what happened to the tyre on my daily ride last week- never seen anything like it !Pot holes! P1030015
Back to top Go down
Rebeldog

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Never understood the excitement of lowering VWs. If you lived in Herefordshire you would try and raise them. The pot holes round here are world class, some places have better dirt tracks than our main roads. Have to say over the border in Wales, the roads in Powys are in very good condition.
Another hazard is "road" sprayed up by lorries and chipping the windscreen, as well as the puncture risk. Yet the council will waste money on all sorts of crazy schemes, but mustn't head down that route.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pot holes! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pot holes!   Pot holes! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pot holes!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: