brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Replacing Roof Gas Struts

Go down 
+5
Betty Blu
Feliz
irishman
TimV
dizzylizard
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Replacing Roof Gas Struts Empty
PostSubject: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 am

Several kombi owners have experienced issues with their roof struts, especially ones that are used more often like those that are hired out.

Tallulah is no exception although with some care it was only recently that one of our struts 'popped off' while putting down the roof.

Fortunately for us, it happened while demonstrating the roof up/down action to a customer who then agreed not to raise the roof during their hire - we gave them a slight discount as a consequence and they only had it for a long weekend with no children to accommodate 'upstairs'.

Again fortunately for us, we were due to be at the BraziBay Halloween meet the following weekend so arrived with various tools and resources in order to reattach the uncooperative strut and sought the help of fellow BraziBay owners with more specific experience - namely, TimV and Daz  - once again thanks guys!

The issues are two-fold:

1. Over time, the motion of the struts back and forth (rather than straight up and down or side to side as designed) puts pressure on the pins that hold the ball joints in place and they eventually bend.
  2. The ball joints themselves may also begin to fail over time, especially the small holes for the pin, either because of the same lateral movement or due to poor quality initially.

Pic of a new (good) and old (bad) ball joint end from Tallulah:
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_21

The hole where the pin locates in the lower of the two above has eroded over time, to the extent that it wasn't holding the pin in place at all, hence the 'popped strut'. The other (upper) is as it should be.

The answer therefore, short of redesigning the complete roof raising arrangements, is to monitor the strut ends to ensure they are always seated correctly by giving them a firm push back against their fixings, are in good physical condition including the pins, and to minimise the front to back motion on raising and lowering the roof to reduce the risk of bent pins and 'popped' struts.

Even with this care and attention, you might find that the ball joints do need to be replaced, this is exactly what I have now done in Tallulah, and here is a photo guide for doing so.

This guide assumes that all struts are in place and working correctly to start with, so the first thing to do is to carefully raise the roof. If you have a suspect strut that you think might pop while raising the roof, then check that the ball joint is correctly seated (firm push as explained above) and ask someone else to apply pressure against it as the roof goes up or otherwise 'secure it' without restricting it's movement as intended - a cable tie or two might be useful for this.

Tools and parts:
Replacement ball joints incl pins - Components Direct (GSA003-TZP)
A length of timber - 2m metre baton or door stay should do - B & Q)
At least 3 suitable wood screws - length depending on type of timber.
A screwdriver
Wood saw
Two pairs of pliers or grips
Cloth and cleaning fluid (white spirit or similar should do)

Once your roof is up, but before any struts are removed, you will need something to support the roof in place of a strut. You could use a length of timber cut to the correct length but a more stable solution is to make a simple right-angled frame. This is what I did.

First, measure the distance between the underside of the roof where the ball joint bracket is attached to the top of the bulk head and cut a length of timber the same length. NOTE: I measured the front and the back and cut the shorter of the two. The support can be 'packed' for the higher end.

Using the screws, attach a shorter piece of timber at right-angles to make a base, and a third piece to make a triangle ensuring that it doesn't extend above the first piece or below the base.

Pic of frame in place before removing any struts.
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_11

With the frame in place, the closest strut (AND ONLY THIS STRUT!) can be removed as the roof will be supported by the frame - when removed, there will probably be a slight movement of the roof to the opposite side of the van as the other strut is allowed to expand slightly.

Starting with the end attached to the bulk head, locate and remove the ball joint pin:
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_12

Then pull the ball joint apart.

Repeat at the 'roof' end, use a carefully positioned screwdriver to ease them off if needed:
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_13

The wooden support should now be holding the weight of the roof and you have the fully extended strut detached, ready to replace the ball joint(s).
Carefully grip the ball joint at the wider end of the strut with pliers or grips and twist it anti-clockwise. It should release and enable you to remove it completely by hand.
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_14
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_15

Screw the new ball joint in place and tighten carefully with pliers or grips turning clockwise.

The process is similar for the other (thinner) end however you will need to also VERY carefully grip the shaft with a second set of grips or pliers. The shaft MUST be gripped as close to the end as possible as any damage to the shaft further down may compromise the seal of the piston allowing it to leak and fail.
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_16
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_17

Before refitting the strut, clean both ball joint connectors using a cloth and a suitable cleaning fluid and put put a small amount of grease inside the ball joint connectors you have just fitted:
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_18

Now refit the strut starting with the thinner bulk head end, locate the ball joint and firmly push into place before inserting the pin, make sure the 'roof' end of the strut is in the correct position ready for fitting next as you won't be able to rotate it fully once one end is attached:
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_19

You can now grip the fatter end of the strut, pulling it down against the bulk head ball joint, compressing the strut enough to locate and attach the roof end ball joint. This is the hardest bit, but I managed it on my own after a few attempts and some huffing/puffing. It is important that the bulk head (bottom) end is attached first as it is MUCH more difficult to push the thinner end up against the roof (which will also move against the force) enough to locate the bottom end.

Repeat the process with each of the struts, you might find (as I did) that the roof is very slightly higher at the back so I used an off cut to pack the frame:
Replacing Roof Gas Struts Photo_20

Hope it helps!

One more thing: I bought the replacement ball joint ends from Components Direct who were good enough to send me a free sample first. The only downside is their minimum order value of £20 (ex vat and delivery). 8 x ball joint connectors is only £12 (ex vat and delivery), so I actually ordered two complete sets of the ball joints (16 in total) on the basis that someone else would like to replace theirs.

If you are interested in the remaining 8x I have the send me a pm.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...

Last edited by Tallulah on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for the 'how to' Tallulah, I have a feeling it may come in useful in the near future.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks buddy - great write-up.  Basketball 

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Replacing Roof Gas Struts Melogo11
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Nice one, we've had this happen whilst camping anda real nightmare refitting the strut, great idea using the wooden frame.
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 pm

The how to info looks really good and easy to follow ...however I can't help feeling that I hope we never have to use it ! Smile 
Back to top Go down
Betty Blu

Betty Blu

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 5:04 pm

Fantastic guide, thanks for the share, I have one very dodgy stut that needs attention, and know I have the knowledge!
Back to top Go down
URmysunshine

URmysunshine

Cabin : Exec 043

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Betty Blu wrote:
Fantastic guide, thanks for the share, I have one very dodgy stut that needs attention, and know I have the knowledge!

We have a set of the 8 ball connectors mentioned above as we also ordered 2 sets. Send me a pm if interested.
Back to top Go down
Betty Blu

Betty Blu

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:02 pm

Unfortunately I have different connectors, the nylon type 3 ones. Thanks for the offer though, I am thinking of popping in to the suppliers as they are only down the road to see if I can blag one!
Back to top Go down
Gina Tonic

Gina Tonic

Cabin : Exec 020

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 9:24 pm

Thank you Tallulah for such an informative post. We had this issue just before going off for two week holiday. We ended up having to take along a solid length of wood to prop up the roof so that Tim could fix the faulty strut that occasionally popped out. If there are any going spare still we will gladly buy and also pay the postage. Many thanks. Tracey
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 11:45 pm

@urmysunshine may have a spare set...

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
URmysunshine

URmysunshine

Cabin : Exec 043

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 9:48 am

We certainly do...somewhere!
Back to top Go down
Gina Tonic

Gina Tonic

Cabin : Exec 020

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks Tallulah and URmysunshine. X
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 10:48 am

One of Ronnie's struts has just popped his ball joint end. Before i buy any has anyone any left they would like to sell me.

Really great post by the way, i was away this last weekend when the end popped out as we were putting the roof up to camp.

I came onto the forum, read this post and popped it back in for a temp repair, so  much obliged for that Tallulah,thank you.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 11:56 am

No problem, glad it helped.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 am

Nice!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Replacing Roof Gas Struts Melogo11
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Just adding to the above post regarding getting replacement balljoints for roof struts from components direct, i forgot to change my faulty balljoint on my roof strut and are going away this weekend, I called CD who kindly said they could supply in 2 weeks, So tried Danbury who actually have them in stock and they have just  arrived in the 1st class post. So for anyone needing balljoints, Danbury stock them.
The chap who took the call was called Arthur and when he knew i was stuck he said he would personally make sure that he would post them for me to be sure they got here in time.
I know its not a huge item, but its a huge problem not having one when needed.

So Jason, its a pat on the back time for Arthur i think.
Thank you.

Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing Roof Gas Struts   Replacing Roof Gas Struts Empty

Back to top Go down

Replacing Roof Gas Struts
Page 1 of 1