brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Rookie Mistakes

Go down 
+14
greenjc90
RayC
dizzylizard
Sunny
Skytiger
Tallulah
TimV
bonnie blue
elliec
Dalesman
Dennis
irishman
Scooby
kiteman
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Just got back from a week surfing in Devon. As it's starting to get a bit cold of an evening we decided for the first time we will take a heater with us and get hookup. Being the hookup virgins that we are guess who drove away with the lead still connected cheers

This got me thinking of all the other rookie mistakes I've made, the ones I can think of are

Not bringing a mallet with me for pegging down the awning and using a large stone to hammer the pegs in.
Running out of gas for the burner.
No bottle opener.
Leaving the guy rope pouches open in the rain and getting them full of water.

Is it just me or have others made some simple rookie mistakes

________________________________________________________________________________
Rookie Mistakes Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 2:13 pm

kiteman wrote:
Just got back from a week surfing in Devon. As it's starting to get a bit cold of an evening we decided for the first time we will take a heater with us and get hookup. Being the hookup virgins that we are guess who drove away with the lead still connected cheers

Laughing Laughing Laughing

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Thank god I wasn't the only one, done the driving away whilst still hooked up, first time I used the ramps to level up, left the hand brake off settled down to a cuppa, van rolled back, tea everywhere!
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Could be worse KM saw a boat pull away from our jetty shore power still connected as he accelerated away pulled the electric box into the sea tripped half the marina out !!!. Tim
Back to top Go down
Dalesman

Dalesman

Cabin : Exec 009

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 8:20 am

I've lost count of the number of times I've driven away without latching the cupboards and cutlery drawer - 1st corner tins and cutlery flying everywhere, or not tied the curtains back behind the driver.

I now use this driveaway checklist which I keep in the glovebox.

Driveaway Checklist

1. Roof lowered and clips secure

2. Sun roof closed

3. Engine Compartment closed

4. Rear Hatch locked

5. Spare wheel locked in place

6. Gas Off at bottle

7. Cupboard doors latched

8. All loose crockery stowed

9. Table stowed and latched

10. Hook-up cable stowed

11. Buddy Seat latched in place

12. Curtains tied back

13. TV/DVD closed

14. Wing Mirrors Adjusted

15. Windows Closed

16. Fridge ON / OFF

17. Grill Pan padded

18. Waste Water Container disconnected

19. CHECK UNDER VAN

20. Rubbish bagged for disposal

"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Back to top Go down
elliec

elliec

Cabin : Club

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:20 am

I flattened the waste water bottle once & we also tried to lower the pop-top with the mattress still up there. could not work out why we couldn't fasten the clips! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bonnie blue

bonnie blue

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 11:52 am

we have driven off with the pop top up, and both engine compartment and boot lid open !! luckily been spotted by people waving like mad and shouting at us!! we too are going to do a check list like on the plane !! All door compartments closed ... check!!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Blimey Dalesman, all that to pop out for a paper! ;0)

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Rookie Mistakes Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 2:54 pm

We have a laminated checklist that I make a point of showing to all hirers, we still use it too!

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:19 pm

In our early days we once pitched and pegged our awning too far away from the bus to be attached. Embarassed Resolved this by going for a wee drive and then parking a bit closer to hat awning on our return!
Now we always check before pegging!
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 7:43 pm

Nothing that I can remember in Sunny but just got back from DITF14 and jumped on my Triumph Thruxton and tried to ride off with the steering lock on. Bit of a shock as I veered off to the left!
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:32 am

When we first had Dizzy, drove off without checking the spare wheel carrier was latched properly, first corner I came to, looked in the door mirror to see it swinging out trying to overtake me affraid luckily managed to come to a gradual stop without it bouncing into the rear quarter panel, or decapitating anyone.
Back to top Go down
RayC

RayC

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 12:56 pm

keep forgetting the latch on the fridge door it usually lasts quite a while before the assorted pots of fruit shoots scatter around the van Smile
Back to top Go down
http://treadltd@gmail.com
greenjc90

greenjc90

Cabin : Exec 039

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:26 pm

A week after picking up the van I parked it on a neighbour's drive which is quite steep while we were have some work done on our roof.  As I backed down slowly off said drive, the bike rack attachment on the tow bar dug itself into the concrete in the pavement and I was well and truly stuck.  Had to get the RAC out.  I had taken everything heavy out of the van, off the van (including the spare wheel) and Mr RAC man came along and just pumped up all the tyres to un-lower the van and raise him out of the tarmac!  The whole street was out giving advice.  Embarrassing or what! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm

greenjc90 wrote:
A week after picking up the van I parked it on a neighbour's drive which is quite steep while we were have some work done on our roof.  As I backed down slowly off said drive, the bike rack attachment on the tow bar dug itself into the concrete in the pavement and I was well and truly stuck.  Had to get the RAC out.  I had taken everything heavy out of the van, off the van (including the spare wheel) and Mr RAC man came along and just pumped up all the tyres to un-lower the van and raise him out of the tarmac!  The whole street was out giving advice.  Embarrassing or what! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Nice. I wonder if using leveling ramps to reverse out of the drive would have helped?! Basketball

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Rookie Mistakes Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Leaving the wheel clamp on while trying to reverse off the drive Mad
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Our first major trip 3 summers ago - Mrs H attempted to raise the roof before undoing the 2 rear catches. It ripped them both off and left some rather large holes. No
A quick trip to the local DIY shed and all was well again.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Can i point out that the mistake in the earlier post was made and written by the man of the house
Back to top Go down
Rebeldog

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 pm

We have a sticker "Lights, Fridge, Radio, Keys" which tells you what we have done or threatened to do. It is very easy to leave the first 3 on when you stop. We have a sensible system that when we are camping, we keep a key each. A walk in the Welsh hills was interrupted by the following:- "where are my keys? oh, I think I left them in the ignition." I had locked the doors, but she had left her keys in the ignition.
Anything to do with the roof and the fridge has great potential and we have done a few.
Back to top Go down
Feliz

Feliz

Cabin : Exec 026

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyTue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 pm

It all adds to the experience of ownership !!
1 driving off the drive without unplugging the mains hook up .... we've done that twice ! 2.... at the sleepover Tripped over guide rope of awning knocked one of the poles a drift and hit the side of the rear quarter - 1 week after it came out of the spray shop.
3 Forgot to ask Danbury where the reverse gear was upon collection - good fun trying to get fuel when I needed to reverse back into position.
4. spent over an hour trying to get the window handle off until dizzy came to the rescue - simple when you know how ! doh
5 parked too far back when affixing the awning apron to the gutter -opened the door and it ripped a triangle shaped hole in the apron .....various expletives were muttered !

just to mention a few
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 7:11 am

Feliz wrote:

parked too far back when affixing the awning apron to the gutter -opened the door and it ripped a triangle shaped hole in the apron .....various expletives were muttered !

Forgot about that one, done that several times as well. Now have a nice big repair patch on the Awning apron

Rookie Mistakes Img_4810

Back to top Go down
RayC

RayC

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 am

looks like we need a big red warning light on the dash for the mains hook up being connected Smile
Back to top Go down
http://treadltd@gmail.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am

RayC wrote:
looks like we need a big red warning light on the dash for the mains hook up being connected Smile

Fortunately we've never done it on a site, but I did move Tallulah off of our drive once with it still connected. No damage to T or the cable, it just pulled the plug out of its socket in the shed and through the (wooden) shed door!

We now have a useful access panel in our shed door. Basketball

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...

Last edited by Tallulah on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
kiteman

kiteman

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 12:49 pm

RayC wrote:

In the pipe line. Ordered some parts and hopefully will soon have a warning buzzer if the ignition is turned on with the hookup lead still connected

Rookie Mistakes Img_4810

Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 2:05 pm

What about 230vac relay that is energised when hookup connected and disconnects starter motor signal all kept together in engine bay. Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rookie Mistakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rookie Mistakes   Rookie Mistakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Rookie Mistakes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: