brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder

Go down 
+4
jj123vw
billyelaine
TimV
jboa
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jboa

Cabin : Club

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Empty
PostSubject: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 2:33 pm

08 LHD bay from VW Downunder in Mango green with westy style poptop.

I'll post some more pictures of the roof conversion if anyones interested.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Dscf3512

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Dscf3513
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Very cool. Lowered? Yes to the extra pix of the roof conversion please. Love the original look Westfalia trim too.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Melogo11
Back to top Go down
billyelaine

billyelaine

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptySun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Would def like to see more pics of the roof conversion (inside and out) as hoping to treat ourselves one day in the future! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
jboa

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 2:57 pm

A few more roof pics as requested

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 110
Roof cut off!

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 210
New frame for bed and hinges welded in.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 311
New frame from below, plus new roll bar welded in to replace the one cut out.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 3_510
Roof hinges on.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 410
Windows out and headlinning fitted over new bed frame and around windows.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 510
Headlinning complete including over the cab area.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 610
Pop top linned with a velour headlinning. Stops the condensation forming in the roof.

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder 710
Finally poptop and front luggage rack fitted.

The bed folds out to roughly the same size as the full length rock and roll bed.
Plenty of room for two kids, one child and one adult, been told that it will support two adults as well - but haven't tried this yet!

I would definetly recommend one. We found the danbury roof a little claustrophobic and coffin like. We almost went for a O'conners roof but prefered the luggage rack that vw downunder offered, as this kept our van under 2m with a roof rack fitted, which is handy for getting under car park barriers.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 10:52 am

Dont forget the Danbury roof lifts up in all 4 corners not just the front and doesnt have the ugly (in my opinion) plastic front piece bolted to the car so you can still see the original VW factory roof at the front. We also just took a call from someone that has one of these 'Down Under' roofs that has water ingress problems (in HIS words 'due to the design and fitment of the roof') . I cant comment on this though as we havent seen it. Food for thought......Anyone else got a comment on this roof?
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

Anyone else got a Bay via VW Downunder with their roof conversion? It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts....

There's a link here to photos of the O'Connors roof being installed on a Brazilian Bay.

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Last edited by TimV on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 1:49 am

Anyone else considered what a combo of a Danbury roof with a VW Downunder/O'Connors front rack might look like?

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Vwddan10

I rather like it - and the airflow over the top of the bus would probably help with fuel economy.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
jboa

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Nice work Tim!
Quote :
Anyone else considered what a combo of a Danbury roof with a VW Downunder/O'Connors front rack might look like?

I rather like it - and the airflow over the top of the bus would probably help with fuel economy.

I'm not sure what the point of Danbury's post is.
I believe that anyone who has a Danbury van knows their roof lifts up at both the front and back. And anyone considering buying a Brazilian bay knows of Danbury and also know their roof lifts at the front as well as the back.

The "ugly plastic front piece bolted to the car" is actually a roof rack and has a practical purpose. If you were to fix one of the aftermarket roof racks available it would make your van stand way above 2 meters. And as we use ours as a daily driver it would be impractical, as a lot of car parks have height barriers set a 2 meters and some times lower.

As regards to any water ingress we have not experienced this. The first time we had the roof up it rain constantly for the whole weekend and no water got in. We've also had it up in heavy rain and wind and again no water ingress.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 4:35 pm

I don't want the wooden style rack for a similar reason - I'd seriously consider putting the 'downunder rack on my Bay. A price for this is the next step.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 11:29 pm

TimV wrote:
Anyone else got a Bay via VW Downunder with their roof conversion? It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts....

There's a link here to photos of the O'Connors roof being installed on a Brazilian Bay.

I have had the o'connors roof conversion on my Danbury Rio tintop. So far so good...but there are some issues with finish that could be improved. You pay 3 grand, and still get screws that have not been capped off properly etc. Perhaps I am just a perfectionist....
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 13, 2009 11:42 pm

dartmoor wrote:
TimV wrote:

I have had the o'connors roof conversion on my Danbury Rio tintop. So far so good...but there are some issues with finish that could be improved. You pay 3 grand, and still get screws that have not been capped off properly etc. Perhaps I am just a perfectionist....

No I don't think you are. If you're paying that level of money the job should be first class.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am

£3k sounds like a lot of dosh with that kind of finish! Danbury charge £1949 inc vat for a raising roof when the cars ordered and we believe its the best roof available for a Brazilian model VW T2. You also have lots of space in ALL 4 corners as its a 'pop up' roof and not a 'lifter' :-)
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Let's not forget though that part of the reason folk buy a T2 is because they want a retro styled but modern (!) campervan. In which case they may want to have the retro style raising roof. It's good there's a choice out there, surely?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 11:31 pm

TimV wrote:
Let's not forget though that part of the reason folk buy a T2 is because they want a retro styled but modern (!) campervan. In which case they may want to have the retro style raising roof. It's good there's a choice out there, surely?

Well, having had a Westy before, that's why I chose the 45 degree tilting roof. I have high standards of finish - when you pay someone to do a job, they rarely get that 100% finish that you'd want. I have rarely used a garage where I can say that they have been faultless in what they have done. Even the the best garage I thought I'd found and used for my other car let me down once by leaving half the screws out on an engine undertray!! It fell off on the motorway....grrrr
Back to top Go down
belgiumbay

belgiumbay

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 7:28 pm

We have an o'connors roof - mainly because we wanted a westy style roof

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Croati12

It was fitted by O'Connors and as you can see it does not have the front "box" roof rack and their in is our major problem with it - the design without a box lets in air regardless of using a sealing kit. The front air cowl is not a perfect match for the roof shape and air also gets in under the side of the roof as well - some of Bernoulli's principle starts to come into play (I teach sciences) - so you end up with a draft in the roof space.

This is not a problem just restricted to O'Connors roof conversions, have seen two Danburys with exactly the same problem.

Down Under's Westy copy is a better answer (when i have time will be seeing if i can get just a front box section from them) as long as it is well sealed down with - also the addition of a neoprene skirt around the full roof would also help.

The finish as dartmoor points out is not great - though we actually paid less than a danbury roof - their external internal finish (if you get my drift) is certainly better than we got from O'C but I didnt mind so much as the intention was to build a custom headlining and side lighting rig anyway using ikeas 12v brushed steel Grundtal lights - with a little adaptation they look great and work really well much better than labcraft etc.

However the biggest disappointment was when I was working on the need lighting routes was/is that the bed frame posts as shown above are mild steel and so rust if they are not treated. they now have a heavey dose of dinitro but when I sent an inspection camera down them before hand there was a handy coverage of surface rust.

I dont know if DUL treat the interior of the rails from the picture it does not look like they do. but if anyone is having one fitted make sure that they do. A minimum would be zinc coat but with denitrol, pore or clear waxoyl an almost essential addition as well.

I can't comment about the danbury conversion internally as you cannot see the alteration but again it is an area that can rust if not treated properly when installed.
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi Belgiumbay. Just to let you know Danbury treat all meatl work that we cut with a anti corrosion treatment and have not had any reported problems with wind entering the vehicle from a roof conversion as this is sealed (Weve supplied and fitted over a 1000 roofs to date). I agree with you re getting your O'Conners roof treated for rust asap and would of thought this should have been done by them before fitting? Maybe if they will sell you a front rack cover that would help stop the wind problem you are having with it? Good luck with it and Merry Christmas from the UK santa www.danburymotorcaravans.com
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 pm

belgiumbay wrote:
We have an o'connors roof - mainly because we wanted a westy style roof

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Croati12

It was fitted by O'Connors and as you can see it does not have the front "box" roof rack and their in is our major problem with it - the design without a box lets in air regardless of using a sealing kit. The front air cowl is not a perfect match for the roof shape and air also gets in under the side of the roof as well - some of Bernoulli's principle starts to come into play (I teach sciences) - so you end up with a draft in the roof space.

This is not a problem just restricted to O'Connors roof conversions, have seen two Danburys with exactly the same problem.

Down Under's Westy copy is a better answer (when i have time will be seeing if i can get just a front box section from them) as long as it is well sealed down with - also the addition of a neoprene skirt around the full roof would also help.

The finish as dartmoor points out is not great - though we actually paid less than a danbury roof - their external internal finish (if you get my drift) is certainly better than we got from O'C but I didnt mind so much as the intention was to build a custom headlining and side lighting rig anyway using ikeas 12v brushed steel Grundtal lights - with a little adaptation they look great and work really well much better than labcraft etc.

However the biggest disappointment was when I was working on the need lighting routes was/is that the bed frame posts as shown above are mild steel and so rust if they are not treated. they now have a heavey dose of dinitro but when I sent an inspection camera down them before hand there was a handy coverage of surface rust.

I dont know if DUL treat the interior of the rails from the picture it does not look like they do. but if anyone is having one fitted make sure that they do. A minimum would be zinc coat but with denitrol, pore or clear waxoyl an almost essential addition as well.

I can't comment about the danbury conversion internally as you cannot see the alteration but again it is an area that can rust if not treated properly when installed.

An update on my O'Connors roof too - done this summer, and there is a rust streak coming from underneath the front cowl where it is rivetted to the front tin roof. This is not good! I have emailed O'Connors to ask them to rectify this - and re-do the work if necessary. I will update you on their response - as this will be important for anyone else considering having an O'Connors conversion. At £3k plus VAT the quality has got to be good - I don't think it's good enough, so am going to test this by going back with any sign of problems/rust - however minor. Really anyone cutting into fresh steel should treat it afterwards - taking short cuts on £3k is not acceptable. I hope I will be able to report back a positive response - watch this space!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Nasty. Yep good luck with that - keep us all posted. This is exactly what this site was designed for. Idea

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 8:27 pm

TimV wrote:
Nasty. Yep good luck with that - keep us all posted. This is exactly what this site was designed for. Idea

Will do - thanks. We all rely on VW Trades people now and again - it would be really good to share both good and bad experiences. For me the jury's out on O'Connors - let's see how they respond and if I find any other problems over the next year. Hopefully I will be saying that all is well, and the job looks like it will last well - not sure at the moment, and have too many niggles.
Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Glad to report had a quick response from O'Connors - they are happy to rectify the rivet rust problem on the roof conversion. When its stops freezing (brrrrr), I'll take the van back for the repair. I am heartened by the quick positive response.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 pm

That's great news. Hopefully you'll get it all done before the season starts.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
belgiumbay

belgiumbay

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi Den

There are also rub problems on westy style roof

The original westy pull downs lock the roof off tighter than the straps that either o'c or vw du use and with pop rivet heads on the seal strip pressing agains the double zip you get wear. I have added leather squares to stop this at present they are just epoxied into place but eventually they will be seam sealed and sail stitched into place

at weekend will take some pics to show
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Den what have you used to replace the black trim around your Danbury roof? I want to sort mine.

I use white Duck tape on the roof section to help with the rub problem. So far so good.

If Danbury were to update their roof design I'd like to see an angled front profile to help with aerodynamics/economy.

We musn't forget that the original roof conversions were done by major companies with support and recognition from Volkswagen. The size of the teams and effort involved to produce the likes of the Westfalia and Devon roofs would have been considerable compared to the low volume output of today's conversion companies. All I can say is that I'm glad companies chose to bring the Kombi to our shores - if they hadn't we'd all be driving around in faceless Eurovans or on the back of a recovery vehicle because our classic T2 decided to take another break.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dartmoor

dartmoor

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Denni wrote:
jj123vw wrote:
Dont forget the Danbury roof lifts up in all 4 corners not just the front and doesnt have the ugly (in my opinion) plastic front piece bolted to the car so you can still see the original VW factory roof at the front. We also just took a call from someone that has one of these 'Down Under' roofs that has water ingress problems (in HIS words 'due to the design and fitment of the roof') . I cant comment on this though as we havent seen it. Food for thought......Anyone else got a comment on this roof?

Hi again!

hope you don't think I'm stalking, day 1 on this forum so trying to answer all points in relation to our bus!

The roof supplied by yourselves is definately claustrophobic unless you were the tiniest of creatures and unfortunately the workmanship fitting of the rubber trim on the outside leaves a lot to be desired. I have replaced that myself and it looks 100 percent better.

Also, you guys must be aware that when you pull the roof down, the outside poptop corners rub on the roof and very quickly rub all paint off. At the Bristol show last year, talking to 4 Danbury owners and we have all had to put velcro patches on each corner to stop the roof rubbing the paint off when you pull it down.

The original westy type roof is a very good option, again the problem is that the Danbury roofs are not the same as the original T2 and curve more. My preference would be to fit a Westy type roof and when we can afford it, thats what we will do.

Den

Hi Den,

Just be aware that there are ISSUES with the Westy roof! The quality of fit is no where near as good as the Westfalia factory ones. It does give more room at one end that the Danbury roof, and it has a better classical look to it. The gas struts are very very powerful on the O'Connors roof - great for putting it up, not so good for getting it down again! Hopefully it will last though. We have to take it back some time soon to have a pop rivet re-sealed as it has started to rust. The air tightness relies on webbing straps being secured inside - and getting a fit against the spoiler thingy on the front of the roof. That is no where near as good as the design of the original Westfalia where the roof was properly secured by a mechanical catch.
Back to top Go down
belgiumbay

belgiumbay

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

To second what dartmoor has said - I am working on the designs of a set of neoprene seals to improve the "air-tightness instead of the "hard" synthetic rubber striping that o'connors have used. Also when the weather warms a bit and I can work outside with the roof up I am going to re-engineer a set of marine snap locks to fit inside instead of the webbing. Last summer before setting of on out summer jaunt the front centre webbing even pulled out of its rivet (that meant drilling out the rivet and refitting a long shank pop with 5 mm washers to act as decent locks against the new ebbing i fitted

That was when the decision to fit proper pull down snaps was taken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder   08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder Empty

Back to top Go down

08 watercooled bay - VW Downunder
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: Gallery-
Jump to: