brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Hello and pop up roof advice please.

Go down 
+13
AnotherBlueOne
oldskoolsboy
irishman
Skytiger
dazdub
Scooby
osg
harryhornet
Voyager
dizzylizard
Tallulah
TimV
Lorry
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 7:23 pm

irishman wrote:
Welcome to the forum, if it's the van I am thinking of that was recently for sale on here, it's a beaut!

Don't forget our main yearly club get together 'The Kombi sleepover' is in Banbury the weekend 29th to 31st May, a great chance to meet everyone.

For your reference here is a link that provides a little insight to what happened at the Kombi Sleepover in 2013:

2013 Kombi Sleepover

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
oldskoolsboy

oldskoolsboy

Cabin : Exec 101

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Evening Lori & Al and welcome we have a westy style roof fitted by Pete at Space roofs, (pete's company have been making these roofs) and vw camper conversions for years and we love it..
its based on the the late 70"s rear hinged westfalia camper conversion. It will easily take 2 six footers
The other thing to consider is the large front canvas window with built in mosquito net-wonderful on a hot summers night!! and you also get useful storage for your awning in the front top box!!
hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 8:54 pm

The Space Roofs westy style weld in a steel structure back into the roof for strengthening once the roof is cut.

Danbury's pop top is fixed in place with wood which has been fibreglassed to the original metal roof.

Personally I like the look and functionality of the Danbury Roof but would have liked it with the build ethic of the Space Roofs one.
Back to top Go down
AnotherBlueOne

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 9:42 pm

I think you also need to consider ease of putting away. I find the Danbury roof a right faff to put down (but easy to pop up); I don't know if spaceroofs are any better.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi and welcome to the Brazi bunch!
We are 6 months old but feel like we have been part of the family for much longer.
I personally in the relatively few times we have used our pop up have found it the worst aspect of owning Bumble. It is not too much trouble putting it up but a real malarkey and fiddle to "pop" ..ha ha.. down.
See if you can try some out first before you choose.
Mrs Bumble
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 am

Hi and welcome as well.

I'm with the other when they say the Danbury roof is a faff to put dow, I'm not too keen on the look of the Danbury roof either. Saying that I'm still yet to see a Spaceroof so can't really compare

________________________________________________________________________________
Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Lorry

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks everyone,
Its great to have all this good advice and reassuring to know the van is known as a good one. The meet up sounds great. Unfortunately we're already away on the Banbury Sleepover but hopefully they'll be more?
We have a couple more questions. I'll put these under a different heading.
Thanks
Lori and Al
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 7:55 am

Does anyone know how much it costs to change from Danbury popup to a space roof?
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 8:26 am

According to their website to fit a Spaceroof is £2950 from scratch. If a pop top is already fitted it's £3100, the extra cost is for disposal of the original

Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 am

......or you could ask them to keep hold of the old roof and sell it.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 9:21 am

harryhornet wrote:
......or you could ask them to keep hold of the old roof and sell it.

Someone will always want a spare Danbury poptop ....

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 11:44 am

MrZippo sold his old Danbury roof a couple of years ago. I wonder where it went?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Daz bought one....

VWK had one last year that they cannibalised for a replacement sunroof for Tallulah....

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
fat_pastor

fat_pastor

Cabin : Exec

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi, while this thread is thinking about poptop roofs, has anyone found a foolproof way of lowering the poptop roof easily without the balancing it on your head while you stuff and pull and wriggle the canvas back into place?

Any tips gratefully received!
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 pm

fat_pastor wrote:
Hi,  while this thread is thinking about poptop roofs, has anyone found a foolproof way of lowering the poptop roof easily without the balancing it on your head while you stuff and pull and wriggle the canvas back into place?  

Any tips gratefully received!

That's the best bit, balancing it on your head*! cheers

P.

(* no good for under 5' not very much people! lol! )
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 9:51 am

Your own head could be replaced by a second person's head.
osg
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 2:28 pm

I always find that the natural weight of the roof versus the lift of the struts helps at that point- effectively a third closed.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi  

I have not long joined this forum and I have found it so useful, with great friendly advice. I have just had Pete (space roofs) fit a new canvas to our danbury roof and although it looks amazing its an absolute pain to lower. Already I have had to replace gas struts £60 each from Danbury! I can us replacing the danbury for a Westfalia type from Space roofs in Okehampton.

Another option is a front cabin hammock. Sleeps up to 70 kilos. We have had fab reviews from our customers this weekHello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Img_0810
Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Img_0811
Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Img_0812

All the best
Scott
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello and pop up roof advice please.    Hello and pop up roof advice please.  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello and pop up roof advice please.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays-
Jump to: