brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

CTEK Battery Charger Install

Go down 
+10
BMac
beakyboy
harryhornet
RayC
AbsintheKombi
timmm
eddy
Tallulah
Dennis
kiteman
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 8:37 am

kiteman wrote:
You might want to go for the MXS5 or 7 as they will provide more power than the 0.8 that I went for

Thanks all. I've ordered the MXS5. I'll let you know how I get on.
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 15, 2016 11:29 am

I've got the 3.8 which doesn't have the Recondition mode , The MXS 5 I'm sure will suit your needs HH.
Good piece of kit , glad we invested in one of these.

________________________________________________________________________________
Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Eddie's been at Brand Autos for a couple of days having a pre Kaper tune up. Whilst there I asked Paul to install the CTEK charger unit. It is now permanently wired to the leisure battery and connected to a mains socket inside the van. The control unit is attached to the back of the wardrobe. You'll notice in the second picture that there is an orange connection which means that an extension wire can be attached to charge the starter battery.

CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 Image19
CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 Image20
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Looks good. Would it have been possible to wire it straight to the EHU point, freeing up a mains socket?

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 9:57 pm

This wouldn't have been easy as my EHU is situated underneath the van. I was advised that this was a good place to put it although in hindsight I would have preferred it in the engine bay like everyone else.
Back to top Go down
BMac

BMac

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Next up on my list of things to install in Bella is one of these CTEK battery chargers.

As I understand it the hookup charges the leisure battery initially, but Bella has a smart split charger relay that will top up the starter battery too?

Just checking that I should connect as Kiteman has above - i.e. between the starter battery and the hookup socket?
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 1:33 am

My CTEK was installed to keep the starter battery charged, I didn't have a charging system on my hookup all the charging was done from the alternator before the install. My split charger charged the main battery first then topped up the leisure battery. By fitting the CTEK the way I did worked the same way as charging everything frommthe alternator

CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 am

BMac wrote:
Next up on my list of things to install in Bella is one of these CTEK battery chargers.
As I understand it the hookup charges the leisure battery initially, but Bella has a smart split charger relay that will top up the starter battery too?

Just checking that I should connect as Kiteman has above - i.e. between the starter battery and the hookup socket?

Sounds like you already have a charger in your setup along with a split charge relay, no need for another?

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
BMac

BMac

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks Tallulah, I will look at the split charge relay that is already installed. Ian from Brazilian Kampers seemed to think the CTEK would be good in addition to the split charge relay. Need to do some more investigating at my end I think.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 7:01 am

We have a ctek that we use independently to recondition the battery (ies) occasionally. At some point I will swap it with the charger already installed but haven't got round to that yet.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 9:33 am

Need to sort one of these now!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 am

You'll probably be able to recondition your leisure battery with one of these Tim. It'll save buying a replacement.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2016 5:01 pm

TimV wrote:
Need to sort one of these now!

You're welcome to borrow mine as I STILL haven't got round to swapping it for the charger already in Tallulah.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Tallulah wrote:
We have a ctek that we use independently to recondition the battery (ies) occasionally. At some point I will swap it with the charger already installed but haven't got round to that yet.

We also have a stand-alone trickle charger that we use to charge first the starter battery and then the leisure battery, but I like the idea of a charger that will trickle charge both batteries (and therefore also power the fridge) while on EHU.

I'm looking for something that would also be able to work off solar power, as a future install; perhaps the set-up that Surfwagen Stan has already covers this?

Must check the stuff he sent through.

P.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Max has had one of these CTEK XS 0.8 chargers connected for the last 7 weeks. Because the leisure battery is charged via a SMARTCOM unit, by fitting the CTEK connectors to the starter battery, once that was fully charged, the leisure battery then received a maintenance charge too. Result on my return is that Max fired up instantly and the leisure battery was showing a full charge.

I'm going to install this device somewhere permanent in the near future, within the cabin. Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
fat_pastor

fat_pastor

Cabin : Exec

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi, how do I know if I have a split charge relay?

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Use the Search facility to find the topic Flat Battery
There is a lot of information about what may already be fitted in your camper and about whether charge would reach either the leisure or starter battery or both at the same time.
For Danbury's, much depends on what hook-up unit was fitted during that year of manufacture.
Our 2008 model has a Waeco 915--12TB which charges the leisure battery but also provides a trickle charge to the starter battery - ideal for occasional use to keep both batteries topped up during the winter spent off the road
osg
Back to top Go down
fat_pastor

fat_pastor

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks osg

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
fat_pastor

fat_pastor

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:04 pm

osg wrote:
There is a lot of information about what may already be fitted in your camper and about whether charge would reach either the leisure or starter battery or both at the same time.
For Danbury's, much depends on what hook-up unit was fitted during that year of manufacture.
Our 2008 model has a Waeco 915--12TB which charges the leisure battery but also provides a trickle charge to the starter battery - ideal for occasional use to keep both batteries topped up during the winter spent off the road
osg

Thanks OSG - I have the same one but for some reason the starter battery was never connected. It's just a case of running the line to the starter battery and wiring to the correct terminals, right?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:18 pm

fat_pastor wrote:
osg wrote:
osg

Thanks OSG - I have the same one but for some reason the starter battery was never connected. It's just a case of running the line to the starter battery and wiring to the correct terminals, right?  

I've got this charger in Tango too - similarly without the starter battery being connected. Seems reasonable to assume that if you run a wire to the correct terminal, it ought to do the job.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
fat_pastor

fat_pastor

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Ok guys - if you hear a bang from West Sussex....
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm

fat_pastor wrote:
Ok guys -  if you hear a bang from West Sussex....

I'd stick a fuse on the circuit for good measure.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
fat_pastor

fat_pastor

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Tim, I was about to get a CTEK charger like the one that you recommended, but if I get this line in to the starter right, I shouldn't need one should I? I'm trying to avoid having two cables to plug in the house! Sorry to have so many questions, I am on a steep learning curve!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Agreed. If the 2nd output of the Waeco successfully charges the starter battery then you won't need the CTEK. My first BraziBay doesn't have a Waeco unit, hence my plan to install the CTEK on a permanent basis. Which I have yet had time to do!!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 pm

No issues about asking questions. Helps us all learn. Basketball

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CTEK Battery Charger Install   CTEK Battery Charger Install - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

CTEK Battery Charger Install
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next