www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Please complete your profile details?!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
Next club meet: KOMBI Kaper 2017!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!

Share | 

Cobb v Cadac

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:34 am

Ok you culinary masters - I'm looking at my cooking options for the forthcoming summer. I'm not a keen cook, but would like to expand on what I can put together via the 2 ring hob in my camper. So of the 2 systems, Cobb and Cadac, which would you favour best and why?

I'll let you decide which I go for ...... Very Happy

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:59 am

We have a cobb and love it more like a bbq and oven cross very hard to burn food you can put a full chicken in and it come out very nicely cooked Smile
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Had both. IMHO Cobb is more portable but less flexible. Once you light a brick it burns for 2hrs, even if you have finished cooking. Cadac has convenience of gas, has a bigger cooking area, can be used to bake, roast, fry, griddle, BBQ, stew, make pretty much anything and boil a pot of water but, is bigger and needs a gas cylinder. Of the two, I got rid of the Cobb (glad u like it Tallulah) and kept the Cadac.

But then again, I sold my brazibay and bought an Eriba, so what do I know?
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:48 pm

I have been thinking about Cobb or Lotus grill.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:08 pm

We can see the attraction of a Cadac - cooking when you need it etc, but we love the Cobb (thanks Summy!). It can seem a bit of a waste as the coals burn for 3 hrs, but with a bit of planning you can make use of it. Either by letting others use some of your heat or by cooking more stuff for the following day.

That's what we did at the sleepover, ribs (for 5) on the Thursday night plus a dozen sausages ready for lunch the folowing day. We've also cooked curries and done the whole chicken trick on a few occasions.

The other week I used ours to accompany our regular BBQ when we had friends over, about 12 in total. Burgers and sausages on the BBQ, chicken and ribs in the Cobb, the finished off on the BBQ once the burgers and sausages were done. The chicken and ribs were much tastier for it too, more moist than if they had only been on the BBQ.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.vdubcamperhire.com
Twitter: @tallulah_vw
Facebook: facebook.com/vdubcamperhire

Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vdubcamperhire.com
dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 pm

We have a cadac safari chef,  and I got one of these, so you can run it off a cartridge instead of the 907 bottle. Handy for the beach if you don't want to lug a great big cylinder about. (actually the one I got has connections for two replaceable cartridges if you need more oomph)

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Cadac_En417_Regulator_Assembly__LP_Appliance_To_HP_Cartridge_.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwtMqrBRDwtoehx72vm34SJACl_Un1JPEwL0ze3vbfQY4x2WQ4iPzh1r9twBGlSA9V3Y0H4BoCtGbw_wcB
Back to top Go down
Matt

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm

We have the cadac safari chef too. Great bit of kit. Good size for cooking for 2 on the griddle/fry. I run it off a 907 bottle, which means we have a spare incase the the van bottle runs out. It cools down quick, so you can pack it away once you've eaten.
Never used a cobb, I suspect you'll be happy with either.

Matt.

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:04 pm

@dizzylizard wrote:
We have a cadac safari chef,  and I got one of these, so you can run it off a cartridge instead of the 907 bottle. Handy for the beach if you don't want to lug a great big cylinder about. (actually the one I got has connections for two replaceable cartridges if you need more oomph)

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Cadac_En417_Regulator_Assembly__LP_Appliance_To_HP_Cartridge_.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwtMqrBRDwtoehx72vm34SJACl_Un1JPEwL0ze3vbfQY4x2WQ4iPzh1r9twBGlSA9V3Y0H4BoCtGbw_wcB
That looks clever but how long does a cartridge last? I'd have thought the Cadac got through one very quickly.
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:34 pm

What about a Cobb that runs on gas.

http://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/Products/Details/COBBG1
Back to top Go down
kiteman

Cabin : Flight 002

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:49 pm

That's put the cat amongst the pigeons. How to make a tough decisions tougher

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:09 pm

@Sunny wrote:
@dizzylizard wrote:

That looks clever but how long does a cartridge last? I'd have thought the Cadac got through one very quickly.

Not sure on that one, still on first canister after a couple of meals, but at 500g would have thought about a sixth of capacity of 907. As I say, mainly use the large gas bottle close to van, got the adaptor for use away. Two bottles fit in the mesh side pocket for ease of carrying.
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Cabin : Exec 055

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Love the Cobb, particularly with its cobblestones!
Back to top Go down
URmysunshine

Cabin : Exec 043

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:46 pm

Interesting info. We've also been looking at other cooking options lately so will keep an eye on this for advice/suggestions...
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Just found out you can get 'quick' Cobb cobblestones that burn for 1 to 1.5hrs rather than the regular 2.5 to 3hrs.

www.vdubcamperhire.com

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
lilyvdub

Cabin : Exec 024

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Nice one tallulah . .can you let me know your outlet info.i assume they will be available on line.
I personally like the idea of not having to bother with the gas scenario. .as tallulah pointed out all the food is still moist .also.the ability to use cider in the cooking dome to cook pork etc. .fish is also great .
Back to top Go down
Dalesman

Cabin : Exec 009

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:47 am

@gordonmac wrote:
I have been thinking about Cobb or Lotus grill.

I've just bought a Lotus Grill and been a bit disappointed - I don't think it works as well as the Cobb seems to do - it doesn't seem to get that hot, the charcoal is exhausted after 30-40 mins, its more expensive and they want £60 for a lid affraid ( I got a glass pan lid on e-bay for £9 )

Might be going in the auction at the next sleepover....

"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:00 am

Thats a shame Dalesman - will not buy that then! Pity cos they look good - and you can get them in any colour!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:20 pm

The gas powered Cobb is certainly looking attractive now!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
URmysunshine

Cabin : Exec 043

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:11 pm

@TimV wrote:
The gas powered Cobb is certainly looking attractive now!

There's one on eBay at the moment Tim. Still got 7 days left on auction though I think.
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:42 am

Anyone bringing a Cobb to the Northern Meet Sleepover? I would like to have a look at one.
Back to top Go down
dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:15 am

@gordonmac wrote:
Anyone bringing a Cobb to the Northern Meet Sleepover?  I would like to have a look at one.
yep we are Smile
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:33 am

Had cobb now for 4 years would not be with out it, the black coating on the cooking surface in places has worn away. Have tried the cheaper cobblets but do not light as easy and were all packed together as with genuine cobblets all packed separately and then it find easier to store them. I light my cobblets by lighting a small gaz stove first and light the cobblet from the bottom it takes seconds to light. After a weekend use I bring it home and put parts of it in the dish washer, washing it at some campsites if the facilities are not very good sometimes leave a film of grease in the bowl even with putting water in it before use. Still use occasionally disposables if doing one nighters and moving on early in morning. Have cooked chicken, joints and roasted veg and precooked meals if in tin trays. Did find a site sell 3 for 2 on the cobbletts. Tim
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 am

@lilyvdub wrote:
Nice one tallulah . .can you let me know your outlet info.i assume they will be available on line.
I personally like the idea of not having to bother with the gas scenario. .as tallulah pointed out all the food is still moist .also.the ability to use cider in the cooking dome to cook pork etc. .fish is also great .

I've not used them (yet) but I will get some ordered. I found them on the main Cobb BBQ site - www.cobb-bbq.co.uk - but can see that they are also available elsewhere for a similar price.

www.vdubcamperhire.com

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:02 am

Many thanks for your informed opinions.

I've reached a decision. The combination of the Cobb for it's size and flexibility and the fact it can now be powered by a gas canister is ideal for me. So I've ordered one from Lakeland. They have them on a deal for £129.99 reduced from £150 right now. Not many left so I struck whilst the 'griddle' was hot!

Looking forward to trying it out this summer! Cool sunny

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Cobb v Cadac   Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:18 am

Welcome to the Cobb Club!

We will be using ours next weekend in Wales, 3 weeks later at CamperJam and 3 weeks after that in France - Happy days!!!

www.vdubcamperhire.com

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down

Cobb v Cadac
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-