brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!

Go down 
+2
TimV
hastaalaska
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hastaalaska

Cabin : Economy

REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! Empty
PostSubject: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Hey guys,

I can't believe after 3.5 years of driving my 1992 Brazilian Kombi from Chile to Alaska (and 10 engine rebuilds along the way) that I am only just discovering this forum TODAY?! How is that even possible?

I need help, I am in a desperate situation!  I just arrived in Alaska and rolled over the finish line with my gear box (serial PF 2108 1) spitting teeth.  I'm stranded with winter coming in around my ears and I need to source either a replacement or someone who can rebuild my transaxle.

Does anyone have a PF series transmission, either installed or as a spare?  Know of anyone who has one.  Had one rebuilt in the past?  Know of something that I could use as a direct replacement. (My tranny has a 5.14 R&P)

So far nobody in North America is able to help me or willing to take on the job so I am looking far and wide and holding a lot of hope that one the members of this niche community that we find ourselves part of will be able to help me move towards getting back on the road?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Ben

----

For those of you who are not familiar with my project....I share my Kombi with the people I meet on the road, which means that I wake up with strangers in my bed every day.  So far over 100 people have joined me in the Kombi and millions have watched our adventures on our rapidly growing YouTUBE channel.

Feel free to follow our adventures along on social media.  As a new member to this forum I am not allowed to post links to my social media.  Even though it is very relevant to this particular post.

You can find me with this information:

YouTUBE as KOMBILIFE

Facebook, Instagam, Twitter as Hasta Alaska (or @HastaAlaska)

Perhaps if any of you know me someone else could post the links so that people can see who I am?

If any of you are on The Samba, I have a fairly beefy thread on there that starts with a engine rebuild under a tree in the rain in Panama and take you up to today.  you'll find me on there as 'Hasta Alaska'

REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! Dsc01811
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Wow Ben, what an amazing journey you and your Kombi have undertaken. I think it's only fair after all the distance it's covered for you that it's having a bit of a tizzy!! This forum is generally based around the Kombis brought into the UK from around 1997 onwards. However we do have a lot of expertise within the community and someone may just be able to point you in the right direction.

As we're mainly UK based individuals I think sending parts across The Pond would be a little far fetched, however someone here may know someone 'over there.'

I'll link this post to various Facebook groups and Tweet it so the word will spread further.

First person to seek help from here is @dazdub!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! Melogo11
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 8:39 pm

I've moved this topic into General Discussion so that it may be shared easier.

________________________________________________________________________________
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi can you see drive shafts moving or do they run in tubes as it looks like you have a bay/splitty cross
Back to top Go down
hastaalaska

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I think the Brazilian bus changed form factor slightly in 1995 to the T2-C (correct me if I am wrong).  I am not sure if that means that my transmission is different from yours.  

Can anyone provide a serial number from thier transmission for a comparison?

I'd really like to speak to anyone who has seen my PF tranny and especially to anyone who has opened one up.  

At this point sourcing a complete tranny from the UK is not at all out of the question.  It will be difficult but it might be my only option. I am not expecting to get this thing moving before winter hits Alaska so I have a lot of time to get the the replacement here. I just need to figure out what I am doing as I will need to stash the Kombi and get out of here very soon.

Last edited by hastaalaska on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hastaalaska

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

dazdub wrote:
Hi can you see drive shafts moving or do they run in tubes as it looks like you have a bay/splitty cross

You can see the drive shafts moving. I have 100mm CVs with boots and exposed axles much like a Vanagon
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 pm

hastaalaska wrote:
dazdub wrote:

You can see the drive shafts moving.   I have 100mm CVs with boots and exposed axles much like a Vanagon
ok so it's not a splitty box. The box in the brazilian bays we have is a lot closer to a bug box out of 1303 or 1302 bug this is the box I have put in my bay to get a lot higher gear as I was running a tuned motor . Have you got a pic of your box
Back to top Go down
hastaalaska

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:30 pm

REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! 1392070
REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! 1392071
REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! 1392073
REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! 1392072

This is all that i have right now as it is still in the bus
Back to top Go down
hastaalaska

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:33 pm

dazdub wrote:
ok so it's not a splitty box. The box in the brazilian bays we have is a lot closer to a bug box out of 1303 or 1302 bug this is the box I have put in my bay to get a lot higher gear as I was running a tuned motor . Have you got a pic of your box

Is that the AM and AH serial numbered transmissions? Those are the alternatives that have been suggested on The Samba forum, but the ration is very different and wont work for my heavy bus. The R&P that I have is 5.14 as you probably know. Those beetles are around 4.12. I wouldn't get off the line with a 1600 aircooled.
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Yep def looks more like bug box than a van one
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Sadly I don't even know what a transmission is, but I enjoyed your video - hope you get CoPito sorted before winter hits.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 10:39 pm

I have watched a lot of his videos, this link summarizes what Ben's adventure was all about and how he was intending giving his Kombi away at the end. He has a cute dog called Alaska who needs regular medical treatment.

http://kombilife.com/win-vw-bus/

Do you think Danbury would be able to help... or someone like VW Heritage?
Mrs Bumble
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 7:49 am

Hi Ben,

Ian here from www.braziliankampers.co.uk, i loved watching your video , was very inspirational!

I take my hat of to the both of you!

Im unable to help you to source a replacement gearbox but i can help contribute towards buying a new one!

Email me at ian@braziliankampers.co.uk and i will make a contribution.

Keep up the epic journey and don't loose site of your goals! Well done..

Ian

www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:13 am

Great gesture Ian!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 12:15 am

Update on Ben's problems with his transmission and gearbox.....sadly he is going to have to abandon the bus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAzkBfJPhoU&feature=youtu.be

Mrs Bumble
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!   REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA! Empty

Back to top Go down

REAL TIME HELP - STRANDED IN ALASKA!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: