brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

"No hurricane" - doo you remember

Go down 
+9
irishman
kiteman
Skooby
Tallulah
dizzylizard
harryhornet
timmm
TimV
Scooby
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

"No hurricane" - doo you remember Empty
PostSubject: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 am

On this day back in 1987 weatherman Michael Fish apparently denied there was a hurricane on its way.
The rest is history . . .

Link: Hurricane

How did it impact upon your life?

We slept through it Shocked

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 10:48 am

I was in the Eye of the Storm - Canterbury!

I was up all night with my college mates listening to a mass of stuff being blown down outside our little terraced house in Wincheap - me agonising over what was landing on my VW Golf parked outside, but I couldn't see anything because the power was off. We couldn't open the front door because of the force of the wind going down the street causing a vacuum effect!!

In the morning I was delighted to see that my car was one of the few that hadn't been damaged and even better, college was closed because of all the broken glass!! Laughing

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

"No hurricane" - doo you remember Melogo11
Back to top Go down
timmm

timmm

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 10:59 am

sounds like a normal summers evening for us 'up in't north'

Timmm
Back to top Go down
http://www.standrewsmotors.co.uk
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 11:09 am

I was at Art college in London and living at home with my parents. I slept right through it and wondered what all the fuss was about until I got to the station and realised the underground was shut.
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 am

Blew the ridge tiles off, which luckily didn't land on my car, and the rest of the roof survived....just.

Power was off in the village for days, so had to heat water and cook everything on a single burner camping stove. Lighting kindly supplied by candles and a Tilley lamp. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 11:25 am

I don't remember much about the night, slept through it I guess, just a slower bus journey to school (6th form) the next day I imagine.

However, it caused lots of damage slightly further south in Hampshire including numerous farm buildings which had 'listed' status due to their age. Because they were 'listed' the farmers had no choice but to have them fixed and I spent the summer of '89 as a roof tilers labourer, putting rooves back onto old barns in the Hampshire countryside.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Skooby

Skooby

Cabin : Exec 046

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 3:12 pm

My 71 beetle broke down (blown engine). I got take home to my parents house on the back of an RAC truck the day after the storm. We had to negotiate a lot of fallen trees. The road my parents lived in at the time (bexhill East Sussex) every 2nd house had lost its chimney. I went for a walk around town and I have a photo somewhere of a bay window with the front end completely squashed my fallen masonry.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 8:26 pm

The roof blew off the apprentaship training centre I was at, was then found to be made of asbestos. Week off work then posted on site at Heathrow for a few months

"No hurricane" - doo you remember Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Skooby

Skooby

Cabin : Exec 046

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Oh and when I say bay window I mean of the vow kind.
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:41 pm

I was on night duty in south London, spent most of the night running around to burglar alarms set off by the wind, then to Clapham train station where half the roof blew off, stayed on till mid day on overtime. Smile
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 am

It blew the gable end off of our house and sent roof tiles and bricks plummeting onto the porch roof below where my poor mum was sheltering... Fortunately the roof above her was a thick concrete and this without doubt saved her serious injury and possibly her life. Our street named The Conifers surprisingly enough had a row of conifer trees out front and two succumbed that night and local farmers with their chainsaws set to work to set us free Very Happy Very Happy

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
eddy

eddy

Cabin : Exec 014

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 9:48 am

I was windsurfing on a local lake in the afternoon as the winds started to pick up....glad I was home and packed away before it hit. Roof tile blew off and sliced down the wing of my car on the drive, missed windscreen by a couple of inches.
Back to top Go down
primrose

primrose

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 9:52 am

Whilst in the police on night duty in Hastings. The weather was very very still -but then I got a call that a tree had landed on a police car - which I could not understand as there was no wind...however within about 30 seconds the wind struck me.  But before I could get to the crushed police vehicle I was called to a wooden fishing hut that had been blown onto a fisherman killing him. Then we were sent to a chimney collapse at a seafront hotel - whilst on route saw a wrought iron seat be picked up by the wind and deposited through a shop window. My partner and I stopped the car and looked at each other in disbelief.. Then, whist following the fire service to the chimney collapse a member of public flagged us down pointing to the missing roof of a block of flats for elderly people. He explained there were still people in their rooms. Together we went up the stairs with a rope. I opened the first glass door, which was immediately snatched from my hand due to the wind, and smashed open. We entered the room to a weird sight of all the contents amd snmashed glass circulating in a vortex around the room and looking up to see the sky where the ceiling should have been. I tentatively went on all fours fearing the floor was about to collapse and felt inside the bed for a body. I could feel the inside of the bedding was still warm, but there was no one there! - she had managed to escape and go to her downstairs neighbour. Leaving my colleague there I continued to the hotel where the chimney had killed a resident. Later in the shift I was sent to another potential chimney collapse, which was very close to the main road into Hastings. I recall having to drive over peoples lawns to get there as all the roads were blocked with trees. I had to restrain the building owner from re entring the business premises to get some belongings, He didnt understand the danger, despite telling him I had already seen 2 deaths that night. I remained at the traffic point till 12noon as there was no one to relieve me. I eventually got home about 1pm. I told my wife what a shift I had just had, but she had slept through it !
Back to top Go down
eddy

eddy

Cabin : Exec 014

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 9:56 am

Primrose what a story and how sad!
Back to top Go down
primrose

primrose

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 10:03 am

You can tell, Its imprinted on my memory after all these years. Second must terrifying thing I dealt with.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 5:39 pm

We had a mild breeze in Co Durham where I lived at the time. Cost the company I worked for then millions in insurance claims.

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "No hurricane" - doo you remember   "No hurricane" - doo you remember Empty

Back to top Go down

"No hurricane" - doo you remember
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: