www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
Next club meet: Camperjam 2017!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!

Share | 

Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 am

No duck tape, Chris? - shame on you!

TimV - have a word...

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Blue Seagull

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:01 am

The programme was an interesting watch. Maybe the duct tape would have been OK if it had been rolled up in colour co-ordinated underwear or made into a table centrepiece?

It was also intriguing to hear the Brazilian van described as a "modern" camper van, particularly as the bodywork design isn't modern and the number plate gave no clue as to its age.

The programme made quite a thing about Absinthe's owners' reluctance to do the reversing challenges, but I didn't really understand why. It came across as not wanting to get into the spirit of things, but there might be more to it than that.

I'd be interested to read the back story as and when the blog post goes up.

Best wishes,

CHRIS

Back to top Go down
Blue Seagull

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:03 am

@AbsintheKombi wrote:
No duck tape, Chris? - shame on you!

TimV - have a word...

Again, excuse my ignorance, but I've never felt we needed any. Assuming the answer is clean, what do you use it for?

Regards,

CHRIS
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 am

cheers Cable Ties & Duct Tape  cheers
To many, essential kit for any repairs to your Kombi, putting up bunting, fixing lights on your flag pole, fitting your flag etc. etc.
Doo consider carrying some  . . . then there are the colours . . .
White for the roof where the pop top comes down, black for the flag pole and bunting, grey for the interior . . .
Taking it a bit far . . . Scooby is not sure . . . judge for yourself after a few trips Wink

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:40 am

Want to know more about Duct Tape -

How Duct Tape Fixes The World
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:49 pm

This is a quote from one of the CC members from their forum, .....

The reversing test was actually a rather stupid idea. Yes there was some superb skill shown by both the Cheltenham owner, and the ex HGV driver, and their spouses. However, to expect the V-dub to push that tiny trailer round was wrong and shows a lack of understanding as to how small trailers behave. They jack knife instantly, and cannot be seen from a larger vehicle, at least without a flag or spotter. We had one, and we always unhooked it turned it and then rehooked. Easy peasy. Owners used their common sense and did just that, or refused to do second test....

Having read all their responses...... in my opinion " caravanners" come across far worse because of their remarks and responses to the programme more than the programme itself. I'm just so glad I have a campervan as our "scene" and community seems far more chilled.

An if you are going to be judged on OCD tendencies, I think I would have beaten the van with the colour cordinated rolled up pants... ( which are going to get mixed up the first time you reach for a pair!) as I store mine in colour coordinated Ebags packing cubes!
M
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:25 pm

We're doing a Radio Lancashire interview on Tuesday morning at 8.15. Any tips TimV?

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:05 pm

@AbsintheKombi wrote:
We're doing a Radio Lancashire interview on Tuesday morning at 8.15. Any tips TimV?

Haha yeah just relax and be yourselves- that makes for the best radio - imagine you're talking to a friend. I always do a show thinking I'm doing it for one person.

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Gogglebox. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Unscathed.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:19 pm

@AbsintheKombi wrote:
Can anybody guess which judge I had a run in with?

I thought the motorhome-supporting judge came across on TV OK; possibly not what you encountered on site, though.

I had been warned about the programme in advance (from others, not M.!), but I thought it was OK. If you work on the basis that 99% of TV is apparently "entertainment" and not there to educate, inform (Lord Reith turning in his grave etc.) and edited to within an inch of its life, it's only promoting the picture that the producer wants to portray.

I thought you both came over very well, M and A, and in the same position, I'd have taken the same stance about reversing. Why make life difficult for yourselves?

Also, in many instances the comparison seemed to be between engine sizes (ooh err, missus) i.e. what was pulling the caravan or trailer, not the skill of the driver; although I did like the bit with the female motorhome driver reversing for the first time!

Concours d’elegance - why use the phrase 'show and shine' when you can use some ponced-up pseudo-intellectual phrase instead? Sleep I used to think that some people took show and shine to the extreme in VW-world (including straight wheels!); not any more - extra points for matching underwear in cupboards together and all the labels on cans/jars facing outwards?! (with extra points for that?!) Life's far too short.

Anyway, wonder how much it cost Captain Mainwaring to get his caravan back together again? affraid cheers

P.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:26 pm

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/club-talk/caravanning-events-and-announcements/Caravanner-of-the-Year-on-BBC-this-April/rt/1452906/?p=96

97 pages and 965 posts on the thread now! :popcorn:
P.
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:29 pm

The reaction from the caravanning community has been a bit extreme. Some Caravan Club members have been calling for Grenville's resignation which is certainly over the top.

I think they wanted a programme that "showed the caravan community in a good light", whatever that means. I do think the CC missed a trick by not having families involved but I'll cover that in my Blog which will be published when the second programme has aired.

Maybe, Andy the motorhome guy just wasn't my cup of tea - I won't be sending him a Xmas card.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 pm

Our interview with Graham Liver on BBC Radio Lancashire is here (2.28 - 2.40):

LINK: IPlayer

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:03 pm

A great listen , well done guys...

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Lovely interview guys and how fitting that it was outro'd by an 80s classic from A-ha!!! 

No doubt one of your favourites!  I imagine you requested that eh Abs?! Wink

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:14 pm

Excellent . Well done you two cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Actually, Tim, I do like a bit of Ah-a. I imagine you do too, given that the sun always shines on TV!

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Enjoyed that. Well done. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
greenjc90

Cabin : Exec 039

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Brilliant! Will we have paparazzi following us to Carcassonne?
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 pm

I really hope not, Julie.

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Just got in from London and listened.....well done.....good explanation about the trailer too.
M
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Here comes the Blog:

Lights, camera, action

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Surfwagen Stan

Cabin : Exec 047

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 pm

I have the CCCOTY16 on in the back ground, I'm wondering if we can't put a spoof together at the sleep over. Given the last 20 years of TV is littered with examples of pants reality TV and celebrity rubbish dance off in jungles, how did they fail to cook up a decent format and series? Someone has got to be fired...after a silly dance off...you decide!!!

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April   Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 am

FAB Blog Abs - as always
Good to see it from the other side!

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down

Caravanner of the Year: BBC2, 8pm, Wednesday, 20th April
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: