www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
27th September it's BraziBay Pride Day!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
Become a site supporter - join the Executive Club!

Share | 

New Wheels - choosing tyres

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:13 am

We are considering white alloy EMPI by SSP  5x112 5.5" diameter 15" 20 mil offset from coolair or other supplier.

Staying with the standard ride height I want to go in to National Tyres (Simon recommended them) and get them to order and fit the wheels with new tyres.

I have read the posts about tyres that were suggested in the past so I just need to be told what to ask for. We want bog standard good quality tyres which look and work ok on the van and which are the correct commercial rating. Not driving in snow, general summertime driving including long distance.

Any help will be much appreciated.

185x55x15 or 185x65x15 are the sizes suggested by coolair.

what is rating 88H seen on another post ? is that the commercial rating? I can get this rating in National Tyres
eg: 85/60 R15 tyres rated at 88H
My current tyres have 99 / 97 N on them . Michelin do not do tyres of that rating

thanks

ps: the originals say 185r14c (as you know), should I retain the old wheels and tyres ?

Ian

________________________________________________________________________________
what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Tyres for our Kombi Sleepover need to have a load rating of at least 88 (560kg) but should ideally be XL (extra load) rated, at least at the rear.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.vdubcamperhire.com
Twitter: @tallulah_vw
Facebook: facebook.com/vdubcamperhire

Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.vdubcamperhire.com
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Max runs on Michelin Energy Savers - really smooth quiet tyres - 185/65/15 (88) - going for the 65 tyre wall on a standard height BraziBay makes the wheels fill the arches better.

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer and Tango - the Fizzy Kombi Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:04 am

We've got 185/60/15(88). If either 55 or 65 would be alright, I don't see why 60 wouldn't be. All of the 88 rated tyres seem to be XL rated anyway. I don't worry about speed rating, we're not going to go that fast! Ray Collier, who is a tyre expert, advises against having too low a profile on alloy wheels, they seem to be prone to failure. We get our tyres from Black Circles, their prices are great, their website will show you an excellent range of tyres with plenty of information, and we get them fitted by the local garage which services our van. I have had previous bad experience with using a tyre centre which wasn't familiar with our vans.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:03 am

@Voyager your BraziBay is lowered hence the gap between the wheel arch and the top of the tyre is less - which makes fitting 60 height tyres more appropriate. Fitting 60s on a standard height Kombi can make the wheels look like a Matchbox car! Wink

Max SportzKombi - The Bay Racer and Tango - the Fizzy Kombi Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
http://www.brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com
Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:07 pm

TimV wrote:
@Voyager your BraziBay is lowered hence the gap between the wheel arch and the top of the tyre is less - which makes fitting 60 height tyres more appropriate. Fitting 60s on a standard height Kombi can make the wheels look like a Matchbox car! Wink

That's just a hint to get the lowering stick out! Wink
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:13 pm

The wheels are here and they look lovely. Tyres are on order.

Just need to source VW stickers for centre caps. I know they have been discussed here but all my searches draw a blank so I will go search some more.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:05 pm

sundialsoft wrote:

Just need to source VW stickers for centre caps. I know they have been discussed here but all my searches draw a blank so I will go search some more.
ebay
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: New Wheels - choosing tyres   Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:26 pm

dazdub wrote:
sundialsoft wrote:

ebay

Yep, thanks Das, got some Wolfsburg ones which match the window winders and gearstick knob.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down

New Wheels - choosing tyres
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: