brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? Empty
PostSubject: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 2:55 pm

New wheels and tyres on. Quick Fit had nothing to go on re torque for the wheel nuts so set them to 120 newtons.

Any advice on the appropriate torque setting for the wheel nuts ?

ps: They have told me to get a new tire iron as the existing one's head is too fat to turn comfortably without scratching the alloys.

pps: The Michelin energy saver tyres as recommended by Tim V. do give a smooth ride.

________________________________________________________________________________
what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 5:09 pm

120 is correct. Get a wheel brace that you can fit a long socket head to.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 7:17 pm

TimV wrote:

I've got one of these, it extends to get extra leverage if the nuts are a bit tight. I also got one each for pat, and my daughter, in case they got stuck without help.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht163-extending-wheel-wrench/?da=1&TC=GS-040212625&gclid=CIfOlNmxttQCFQEA0wodME0C-w
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptySun Jun 11, 2017 10:30 pm

dizzylizard wrote:
TimV wrote:

I've got one of these, it extends to get extra leverage if the nuts are a bit tight. I also got one each for pat, and my daughter, in case they got stuck without help.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht163-extending-wheel-wrench/?da=1&TC=GS-040212625&gclid=CIfOlNmxttQCFQEA0wodME0C-w

Brilliant, will get one ordered tomorrow

thanks

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 2:21 pm

All part of the service!! Very Happy

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Pat MoBill

Pat MoBill

Cabin : Exec

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptyFri Aug 04, 2023 9:28 pm

Hi All, Is 120 good for steel wheels too? thanks
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptyFri Aug 04, 2023 9:40 pm

Pat MoBill wrote:
Hi All, Is 120 good for steel wheels too? thanks

94 ft-lbs, or 127Nm according to the German bay window VW manual, should be good for Brazilian steel wheels as they are identical.
Back to top Go down
Pat MoBill

Pat MoBill

Cabin : Exec

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptySat Aug 05, 2023 3:06 pm

Thanks Favguy. i just google translated the manual that came with the van and it suggests 100Nm interestingly?Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? 36453310 scratch
Back to top Go down
Favguy

Favguy

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? EmptySat Aug 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Pat MoBill wrote:
Thanks Favguy. i just google translated the manual that came with the van and it suggests 100Nm interestingly?Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? 36453310  scratch

I'd probably go with the lower figure then. The wheels are identical in style to the 70's German bay. If over torqued, the original wheel design did cause distortion, so maybe VW lowered the setting as a precaution having established a lower setting was still adequate for safety. Brazilian wheels may also be of a slightly different metallurgy of steel to the old German wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?   Torque setting for new wheel nuts ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Torque setting for new wheel nuts ?
Page 1 of 1