brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Empty
PostSubject: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 pm

It seems that I cannot check / adjust the wheel nuts without removing the centre caps.

Is this a normal situation ?

Doesn't take very long but it's gonna be a nuisance if I'm in a hurry some day.

ps: just bought some thin walled wheel brace sockets in case that helps
pps: emailed the manufacturer to see what they say about the issue.

________________________________________________________________________________
what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Yep it's a bit of a pain. However works a treat from a security point of view.

I know of some who have filed the centre cap to create more space negating the need to remove the centre cap.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Perhaps different center caps but you do not have to remove them on my empi's. Tim
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyTue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Depends on the manufacturer.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Melogo11
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyWed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm

As I need to check torque for the first few hundred miles I'm leaving the caps off for our first trip tomorrow down to Ripley for some cycling.

Getting a spare sent out as I'm sure the caps are never gonna last & got my Wolfsburg badges for on the centre of them.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Ronnie Ringding

Ronnie Ringding

Cabin : Exec 082

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I was watching a JustKampers video last night about wheel bearings.
During the video the instructor mentioned that when fitting alloys, the rear brake drum retaining bolts should be removed and discarded as it can press into the alloy causing damage and possibly wobbly wheels.

I had my rear wheel off today. Yup, damaged alloy and yup when they were fitted they were wobbly and came loose (Those at Goodwood Last year would have seen me tightening them up.)

I had replaced the original alloys with the same make. Obviously the original fitting people didn't know this nor did I. I don't recall any instructions with them about this, but the damage is there to be seen.

I am an Engineer. I will fix this!
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevianlodge.co.uk
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 pm

Ronnie Ringding wrote:
During the video the instructor mentioned that when fitting alloys, the rear brake drum retaining bolts should be removed and discarded as it can press into the alloy causing damage and possibly wobbly wheels.

I had my rear wheel off today. Yup, damaged alloy and yup when they were fitted they were wobbly and came loose (Those at Goodwood Last year would have seen me tightening them up.)

I had replaced the original alloys with the same make. Obviously the original fitting people didn't know this nor did I. I don't recall any instructions with them about this, but the damage is there to be seen.

Is the video on Youtube or on JustKampers site ? I will try to find it.

My rear alloys were just as tight after a hundred miles as they were before I set off for the norther meet. Obviously I want to see the video & find out what others think / know

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyMon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 pm

Ronnie Ringding wrote:

Paul B removed the rear drum retaining bolts when we had our allows fitted for the first time.

P.
Back to top Go down
Ronnie Ringding

Ronnie Ringding

Cabin : Exec 082

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyTue Jun 27, 2017 7:54 pm

I saw the video on YouTube. JustKampers have a Channel on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/justkampers
I just searched on JuktKampers How To
I can't remember exactly which video it was and it was a comment in one of them.

The JustKampers video shows two screws (also a metal pipe going to the callipers).
Mine has just one hex bolt securing the drum and a rubber brake hose to the calliper so a different model.
Here's photos of mine. I took my other rear wheel off today.
You can see the 10mm hex bolt head and the white mark on it left by the alloy wheel.
The other photos shows the impression of the hex head in it at the bottom.
When putting on the wheel it torques up straight away now  Rolling Eyes

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Img_0412

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Img_0411

I am an Engineer. I will fix this!
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevianlodge.co.uk
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyThu Jun 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Ronnie Ringding wrote:
I saw the video on YouTube. JustKampers have a Channel on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/justkampers
I just searched on JuktKampers How To
I can't remember exactly which video it was and it was a comment in one of them.

The JustKampers video shows two screws (also a metal pipe going to the callipers).
Mine has just one hex bolt securing the drum and a rubber brake hose to the calliper so a different model.
Here's photos of mine. I took my other rear wheel off today.
You can see the 10mm hex bolt head and the white mark on it left by the alloy wheel.
The other photos shows the impression of the hex head in it at the bottom.
When putting on the wheel it torques up straight away now  Rolling Eyes

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Img_0412

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Img_0411

very useful, I will get a wheel off when I get a dry day and have a check. I presume the retaining nut's function is redundant cause the wheel itself holds it in position?

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking EmptyMon Jul 03, 2017 4:21 pm

I took one of the rear wheels off today. Luckily the design allows for the retaining nut so it's not touching the alloy.

On my JBW wheels there is a scalloped area where on the wheels on the photo there is metal so the recess you see on the photo in between the holes for the wheel nuts goes all the way out on mine but it's shallower. The nut rests in this area so it does not touch. Happy days.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking   Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking Empty

Back to top Go down

Empi Alloys, center caps & wheel nut checking
Page 1 of 1