www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
We're into our 10th year!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi

Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hemlock

Hemlock

Cabin : Exec 055

Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys Empty
PostSubject: Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys   Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys EmptyFri May 04, 2018 4:06 pm

It is time to change the back two on Mabel and she presently has the original 185/60r15 88H tyres she had from Mssrs Danbury.  Mindful of comments on historic threads I wanted to up the load rating but can only get a 92 on a 185/65 and I am not sure if that will fit in the arch. Any one able to assist?  May otherwise have to stick to the 88s and keep off the pie and chips for a bit .. ;-)
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys   Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Finally sorted Mabel’s tyres and sorted via mytyres.co.uk a pair of continental 185:60 r15 with a 92/94 load rating to address my paranoia about the load rating of 88 being insufficient for the GVW and insurance implications etc.... They are four season so may be more durable but don’t seem to affect the ride at all even at 50psi My local tyre place didn’t know what tighness to do the wheels, they reckoned 140nm - does anyone have a better figure?!
Back to top Go down
PeteH

PeteH

Cabin : Exec 079

PostSubject: Re: Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys   Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 8:45 pm

I checked my manual for the van and it doesn't mention torque settings on the section on fitting the spare wheel. It just says sufficiently tight. I haven't got a 'feel' for how tight 140Nm actually is in real money. If the garage has used an air hammer it could be a bit tight if you need to do a roadside wheel swap using a wheel brace.

________________________________________________________________________________
Pete and Sue.
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys   Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks, searching the forum I found mention of 120 nm so I think it is in the ballpark. Apparently they do 200nm on a sprinter but thankfully didn’t try that on Mabel!
Back to top Go down
PeteH

PeteH

PostSubject: Re: Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys   Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 5:56 pm

120Nm sounds better, same as 89 ft/lb. I prefer to use a torque wrench for tightening and the wheel brace for spinning the nuts on and off.

________________________________________________________________________________
Pete and Sue.
Back to top Go down
PeteH

PeteH

PostSubject: Re: Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys   Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 6:05 pm

200Nm on a Sprinter! That's 147 ft/lb. On the end of the wrench (18inch) that's about 97lb downforce. Serious bouncing up and down needed. Ouch.

Pete and Sue.
Back to top Go down

Tyres on a lowered Kombi with alloys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: