www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi

Share | 

Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
No1Stez

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi,

I am new and been looking at early/late bays and also the newer Brazilian bays.

What do you guys think or say?
Also could someone say if there are ways to convert speedometer from km to miles?

Many Thanks
Martyn
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Hello and welcome!

Here's a link to a buyers guide that was written a few years back, it will give you a starting point on what to look out for:
http://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/t4450-a-guide-to-buying-an-used-brazilian-vw-kombi?highlight=Buyers+guide

Always worth having a wee look at the kombis in the for sale section of the forum too.

Usually there is a km to miles sticker on the speedo, a but crude but does the job. Or we changed the face of our brazilian speedo showing kmph to a late bay speedo face showing mph. Still our speedo, but has an mph face on it.

Good luck with your campervan hunt and potential purchase!
Back to top Go down
No1Stez

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Thxs skytiger..
Think I would also like or prefer a diamond as it has a full rock n roll bed..

Anyone think a 3/4 rock n roll (44” wide) is big enough for 2 mature adults?
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi

We have almost 20 used VW Danburuys in stock from Diamonds to Rios, please have a look at www.braziliankampers.co.uk..

Many Thanks

Ian

________________________________________________________________________________
www.braziliankampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.vwkampers.com
No1Stez

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Thxs Ian..

As I am new I ain’t sure where to post questions?

I have a garage and the opening height is 1950mm,
Which leads me to my question..

Will pop tops fit inside?
If not and the tin top does, are these worth buying or do you really need a pop top to be comfortable..?

Also is it worth having power steering and or rack & pinion?
Does anyone know the cost of conversion for these types of steering if needed?

And finally what in your opinions are worth while things to have in them etc?

FYI... budget is about £20,000
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 am

We would agree with the comments by Skytiger

Also, set a budget and stick to it when looking to buy your Kombi - list the extras you desire and get the most for your money.

'Try before you buy' is always a good option too - plenty of hire companies out there.

All the best with your search.

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
T2D2

Cabin : Exec 085

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am

We changed our garage doors to side opening to gain the extra height to get our van in! that's an option. I think a standard van with poptop will be too tall. But someone with a lowered van may know their heights.

We've done overnight with the roof down a couple of times and its doable, but i don't think my husband could manage more than one night, he'd be hitting is head and end up with a hunch. I believe there are a couple on the forums with a tin top so they may be better suited to give you an opinion.

We have the rio with the small double bed and we find it no problem. We love the extra storage you get and the ability to have an oven far outweighs the smaller space! When you go to look at them get the bed out and try im sure they wont mind!!

We don't have power steering and i find it fine to drive (Female, not strong) It takes a bit of getting used to from modern cars but other than that okay.

Good luck with your search Smile

bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:02 am

@No1Stez wrote:
Thxs Ian..

If not and the tin top does, are these worth buying or do you really need a pop top to be comfortable..?

Garage - Doubt it will fit in, especially if you have a roof rack fitted (perhaps not at first, but good for extra carriage space).

Pop-top - Having a pop-top gives you the option to raise it Laughing , but also to keep it down when (say) camping for one night and it's a bit colder.

Power steering - have driven with and without, driving with power steering makes such a difference and also removes the need to drive while with continually adjusting the steering wheel when trying to drive in a straight line affraid We had Litesteer fitted http://litesteer.com/products/campervans/ and it's like driving 'normally' again.

P.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:27 am

@No1Stez wrote:
Thxs skytiger..
Think I would also like or prefer a diamond as it has a full rock n roll bed..

Anyone think a 3/4 rock n roll (44” wide) is big enough for 2 mature adults?

Depends on how cosy you want to be! Very Happy

Alternatively, it depends if you want to ask permission to turn over. cheers

It's always a toss-up between full width bed and storage, which will be a personal decision and depends on how minimalist you can make your packing.

What we have done in the past is, once we have parked up, stored bags etc. on the pop-top boards, to get them out of the way. Alternatively, many others pitch a pop-up tent next to their van and dump stuff in there.

P.
Back to top Go down
T2D2

Cabin : Exec 085

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:57 pm

[quote="Bumble"]
@No1Stez wrote:
Thxs skytiger..
 Alternatively, many others pitch a pop-up tent next to their van and dump stuff in there.

P.

Shows how much stuff i take, we have the 3/4 bed, the extra wardrobe and we still bring a pop up tent for storage lol

bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
No1Stez

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Thxs everyone for all your replies and making me feel welcome and glad I joined here..
I hope to be a owner member soon.. cheers all
Back to top Go down
Bumble

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi, Mrs Bumble here. What we didn't anticipate when buying Bumble was the social life and community of friends it brings with it. I thought we were just buying a van just for the two of us. It's been such an added bonus having this forum for advice and chat and meeting up with others on here for social events and camping with them . I look forward to bumping into the other owners on days out or camping with them for weekends etc. I like our pop top not just for the height to stand up in but also for the extra ventilation. Do the tin top have that? We don't park in garage but she hasn't seem to have suffered. It is wise to put Waxoyl to help with rust issues. One of our friends on here own Alpine Grove campsite in Somerset so when you get one be sure to visit. If you want to see photos of our vans out and about check out our Facebook page. Then you can see all our different layouts up close.
M.
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:22 am

re the 3/4 R&R bed we have had our van for over 10 years (2004 air-cooled Brazilian) and we have slept fine in it for all that time. Storage is a premium in these vans so we like having the space to keep stuff.

We are in Northumberland and selling our van to buy a larger panel van by the way. As it's a 3/4 R&R bed you might not be interested but if you want to know more let me know. We are Scottish so up that way around once a month so could bring the van for a look.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Cabin : Exec 086

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 am

@No1Stez wrote:
Thxs Ian..

I would definetly recommend a pop top, we need ours for the kids but I couldn't imagine cooking or just being inside the van without it being up and I'm not the tallest man in the world . . .

Personally I'm not bothered about power steering but others swear by it, and regarding options best to take a look at a few to see what you like/need - a visit to BK would be a good idea if you can get there, they always have loads in stock.
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 pm

@Dee James wrote:
@No1Stez wrote:
Thxs Ian..

I would definetly recommend a pop top, we need ours for the kids but I couldn't imagine cooking or just being inside the van without it being up and I'm not the tallest man in the world . . .

Personally I'm not bothered about power steering but others swear by it, and regarding options best to take a look at a few to see what you like/need - a visit to BK would be a good idea if you can get there, they always have loads in stock.

Our garage opening is higher than that and the van won't fit. As the Brazilian has a higher roof compared to the classic even a tin top will have trouble fitting especially if it has a roof light.

Our sale price (after planned restoration work) is under your budget and in the current condition (which is perfectly roadworthy, nice interior and looking ok outside, around 7 months MOT remaining is £15k.) I can't tell the exact cost of the restorer until he does the work so I can't say the exact price but under 20k.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
No1Stez

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Thxs everyone, still looking
Back to top Go down
PeteH

Cabin : Exec 079

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:06 am

Hi our Diamond van is running standard steel wheels and budget 185 size tyres. The roof rack and the vent (if fitted) in the pop top brings our van to a teetering 2.1m - too tall for standard garages and quite a few multi-storey carparks! Alloys and dropping the van will variously "improve" the ride and clearance and the effect of side winds.

With the full width (Kingsize) bed there is plenty of sleeping space, but as mentioned by Sundialsoft storage is then the issue. Whichever you pick (Rio or Diamond) the bed length is the same and OK if you are 6ft and below.

We have the pop-top and although its a bit heavy for me to lift up it makes camping so much easier. As we don't have to use the pop-top space for kids to sleep in, it provides a useful temporary storage area making use of half of the bed-board (a high cost item if ever there was).

Shortly after getting the van I had Litesteer fitted and has made driving around town (mini roundabouts etc) and parking so much easier. Parking is possible just using the palm of your hand (not recommended) to give an idea of the power it provides. In theory it takes just a day to fit, but ours took 6 weeks as the steering box had to be sent off to be refurbished, it was just as well we hadn't planned a holiday!

Best to try out a few vans if you can to get appreciate their nature.

Pete and Sue.
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm

@No1Stez wrote:
Hi,

I am new and been looking at early/late bays and also the newer Brazilian bays.

What do you guys think or say?
Also could someone say if there are ways to convert speedometer from km to miles?

Many Thanks
Martyn

Hi Martyn

We have a 2004 air-cooled Danbury but it's a rare 'Surf' version meaning it has the full kitchen set-up running directly behind the cab seats and full width rock and roll bed. It also has a pop top and has been lowered so I think it would fit in a garage - it fits in ours but it's a bit bigger than most peoples. I can measure the height of it at the weekend for you so you can get an idea of whether a lowered van would be better. Ours is also for sale as a new kitchen beckons and in your budget !! We've had it 9 years and are only the third owners. i'll get back to you on height over the weekend.

Cheers

Julian
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Our last house had really tall garage doors because we bought the garage to fit the van. Great for the Scottish Winter. It was a timber garage but made by a stable company so very high spec compared to most wooden garages.

Really interested to see a photo of the Surf version. Could you post one here or on the club's Facebook page?

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm

@sundialsoft wrote:
Our last house had really tall garage doors because we bought the garage to fit the van. Great for the Scottish Winter. It was a timber garage but made by a stable company so very high spec compared to most wooden garages.

Really interested to see a photo of the Surf version. Could you post one here or on the club's Facebook page?

Will do - might be a couple of days though - just trying to get to the end of half term. !!
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 pm

@JLS 62 wrote:
@sundialsoft wrote:

Will do - might be a couple of days though - just trying to get to the end of half term. !!  
that's the great thing about having grandchildren, you just give them back to mum & dad.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:40 pm

@sundialsoft wrote:
@JLS 62 wrote:
@sundialsoft wrote:

that's the great thing about having grandchildren, you just give them back to mum & dad.

Who said anything about grandchildren - I'm a teacher and only 2 days till we break up !!

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm

@JLS 62 wrote:
@sundialsoft wrote:
@JLS 62 wrote:
@sundialsoft wrote:

Who said anything about grandchildren - I'm a teacher and only 2 days till we break up !!

Very Happy

I see. Scottish schools are already broken up. The kids are off now. I thought you were trying to cope with having children at home.
Mags was a secondary maths teacher (and is still an educator) so she knows all about it.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm

Snap - secondary maths teacher too. Due to the imbeciles that run our city and county councils the holidays here don't match. Both children at county schools - they're off this week, and I work in a city school - and I'm off next week. Make of that what you will !!
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:04 pm

Here's a pic of the back of the van - not a very good one though. A better one will follow - hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!   

Back to top Go down

Interested in a Brazilian Rio, advice please!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays-
Jump to: