www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Have a very Happy Christmas!
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi

Share | 

Litesteer Query

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dizzy10

Cabin : Exec 067

PostSubject: Litesteer Query   Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi, I have litesteer fitted to my van and was wondering if anyone had any problems with their steering after using litesteer for a while? I was discussing direct drive steering with VW danbury but they said they would have to strip out the lite steer as it was rubbish and its causes excessive wear on the steering box??? I've had mine fitted for a year and only do limited miles but mine appears fine. Don't really trust the guys at Danbury, can't say i've had the best service from them in the past. Anyone used lite steer for some time /mileage?

Dizzy10
Back to top Go down
bobbo12

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 pm

I've had mine 3 years now and done over 16000 miles and no problems at all. Was a super job done and if you search litesteer on this forum you are unlikely to read anything bad. It does not stop or reduce the wondering with the standard steering but makes parking so much easier.
Back to top Go down
Dizzy10

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Thats good to know - I think they are scare mongering seeing as they have there own power steering solution to sell. Glad to hear its not just my steering that still wonders and keeps your attention on the motorway!
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 pm

We had Litesteer fitted in July 2013, and have driven approx 35k miles since then without any steering issues.

Last time we visited Danbury (a while ago now) they said they had a box of old Litesteer bits that they had been taking out of kombis due to steering box failure, however no one has mentioned this anywhere on the forum or the FB page and I am sure they would have by now.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com                                                      www.vdubcamperhire.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove                                                      Twitter: @tallulah_vw
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Facebook: facebook.com/vdubcamperhire
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Dizzy10

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks - another assuring note. If i understand Litesteer correctly it is actually enhancing the force you would have to put through the steering wheel / column to turn anyway. Any 'excessive' pressure on the steering box would only because this supporting force was being applied when trying to steer when not moving which I can understand puts pressure on the box - once moving slowly / driving i suspect it should be fine. Just a shame that you can't have litesteer for power steering and direct drive to stop the wandering..
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 pm

I believe the answer is a replacement front beam from Red9 plus Litesteer. Not cheap, but then neither is Direct Drive from Danbury.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com                                                      www.vdubcamperhire.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove                                                      Twitter: @tallulah_vw
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Facebook: facebook.com/vdubcamperhire
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:43 am

@Dizzy10 wrote:
Hi, I have litesteer fitted to my van and was wondering if anyone had any problems with their steering after using litesteer for a while? I was discussing direct drive steering with VW danbury but they said they would have to strip out the lite steer as it was rubbish and its causes excessive wear on the steering box??? I've had mine fitted for a year and only do limited miles but mine appears fine. Don't really trust the guys at Danbury, can't say i've had the best service from them in the past. Anyone used lite steer for some time /mileage?

Dizzy10

We've had litesteer for 4 years and done 14,000 miles in that time. Never had a problem.

Sadly, your experience reflect on D*nbury, not alternative solutions that work.

P.
Back to top Go down
Dee James

Cabin : Exec 086

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:10 pm

@Dizzy10 wrote:
Thanks - another assuring note. If i understand Litesteer correctly it is actually enhancing the force you would have to put through the steering wheel / column to turn anyway. Any 'excessive' pressure on the steering box would only because this supporting force was being applied when trying to steer when not moving which I can understand puts pressure on the box - once moving slowly / driving i suspect it should be fine. Just a shame that you can't have litesteer for power steering and direct drive to stop the wandering..

Yep, that's my take on it as well - never a good idea to dry steer power steering or not,

From reading up on it here and talking to Litesteer my understanding is they will strengthen where the box is located if needed (early ones can move under load apparently) check the steering for worn parts and adjust or refurb the box if required. I had my box tightened up at the last service in an effort to curb the wandering it made a lot of difference . . .
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm

@Dizzy10 wrote:
they said they would have to strip out the lite steer as it was rubbish and its causes excessive wear on the steering box??? Dizzy10

It's not Litesteer that's the problem, it is the steering box. Any PAS system will have the same effect if the steering box is below par. It is like the brake servo, it is only there to make the effort less, if the brakes are no good, it won't make you stop better.

If you go down the route of direct drive, I believe Creative Engineering have transferred the rights to Danbury, so if you have problems in the future you will probably be tied to them for repairs. If I had a choice now, (I have direct drive without PAS) I would be looking at RED 9. For about the same money you get a complete new front end suspension with coil springs and shocks, which means a lot less maintenance and easily replaced parts.

Although Danbury is just round the corner from me, following certain issues I am now prepared to travel 5 hours round trip to Paul Brand to have any work done, cost wise and efficiency wise.
Back to top Go down
Dizzy10

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:34 pm

All,

Thanks for the great advice, I hadn't heard of Red9 so will look in to that if I decide to take the plunge. Didn't really want to go to Danbury anyway based on past dealings. Good advice on the steering box and checking it / tightening, one to look at when next serviced. Anything that stops the wandering is good news!

Cheers

Dizzy10
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:59 pm

I have red 9 and litesteer the van does not wander at all you never have to worry which lane are you going to land in and handles like a go cart best money ever spent on the van.
Back to top Go down
irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:57 am

I was the first to have Litesteer fitted to a Brazillian after meeting Neal at the VWheritage show at Sandown 8 years ago.
Since then my van has been driven every day! I often tow a trailer and the van is also quite full and used around town so a great deal of pressure on the steering. I have never had any problem whatsoever, I think Neal fitted a German steering box when the system was installed but I can't be sure.
I believe historically Danbury have always questioned anyone else's retro fits to Brazillian bays, all I can say is Neal is an extremely good engineer, his product is sold widely internationally and testimonials on his web page show that his customers are always happy.
I would recommend you phone Neal and discuss any issues you may have, I can assure you he will give you an honest and independent answer.
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm not understanding the need to upgrade the steering. The only time my van has issues is in the wind but in normal driving it doesn't wander about. It's a very easy van to drive & steer.

Is this related to newer vans or aqua bays or what ?

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Dizzy10

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 pm

I suspect its all relative. Mine's a 2010 water-cooled so similar to most i think. When i first drove mine it was fine, till on the motorway and was surprised how much you have to turn the wheel before a direct response. I did ask people and other who own VWs and they said it was nothing unusual. I've driven VWs for years (beetles), but my wife didn't like it at all when she drove it - guess its what your used to and being spoilt with modern cars / power steering. Its fine to drive on the motorway, but it keeps your attention, especially on the wind. I hope i'm not alone in this respect!
Back to top Go down
sundialsoft

Cabin : Exec 074

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am

As I said I do find that in strong winds the van can get pushed but I always assumed that this is the result of the shape of the van and not the steering. I find the van to be very manoeuvrable so overall the steering is very good and you have a good big steering wheel so it's not hard to turn.

It's a different feel to a modern car but that's part of the charm I think.

what is best in life ?
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:24 am

@Dizzy10 wrote:
I suspect its all relative. Mine's a 2010 water-cooled so similar to most i think. When i first drove mine it was fine, till on the motorway and was surprised how much you have to turn the wheel before a direct response. I did ask people and other who own VWs and they said it was nothing unusual. I've driven VWs for years (beetles), but my wife didn't like it at all when she drove it - guess its what your used to and being spoilt with modern cars / power steering. Its fine to drive on the motorway, but it keeps your attention, especially on the wind. I hope i'm not alone in this respect!

It's certainly an 'active' drive. Very Happy

It is very different from driving a modern car and, as you say, very usual for a Brazibay. I find it's the lorries and coaches overtaking on the motorway is the worst, so avoid motorways as much as possible.

P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Litesteer Query   

Back to top Go down

Litesteer Query
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: