brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Bio-ethanol - do you use it?

Go down 
+4
Tallulah
kiteman
dazdub
TimV
8 posters

How significant was your AquaBay's ability to run on bio-ethanol at your time of purchase?
Not at all
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap38%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 38% [ 18 ]
A little
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap17%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 8 ]
50:50
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap4%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Quite a bit
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap2%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Highly
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap0%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Would you use it if it was readily available and the same price as petrol?
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap21%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 10 ]
Is it a more significant feature now, given today's high fuel costs?
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap10%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
I drive an Aircooled and just want to see the result
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_lcap8%Bio-ethanol - do you use it? I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 48

AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

Bio-ethanol - do you use it? Empty
PostSubject: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:40 pm

Looking at the Danbury ad in this week's Auto Express and the references to bio fuel, I'm curious how many AquaBay owners actually make use of this feature. Do you?

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Bio-ethanol - do you use it? Melogo11

Last edited by TimV on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:11 pm

It's a long way to brazil for a top up not many places sell it in the uk LPG is more widespread
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Not at the moment

1. Not many places over here selling it

2. Don't think it makes any difference to cost. Cost's a bit less but you don't get so many MPG

________________________________________________________________________________
Bio-ethanol - do you use it? Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:22 pm

As far as I know there are very few places you can actually buy bio-ethanol in the UK (if any?) Morrisions were selling it at a hand full (maybe 20?) of forecourts with a higher concentration in the south-west, but they stopped at the end of 2010.

Even assuming they were still supplying it, although it was marginally less expensive per litre and (allegedly) provides an extra few horses, it also increases fuel consumption so the net result in terms of cost were negative. This probably explains why Morrisons disn't sell much and made the decision to stop.

We were quite looking forward to giving it a go - and I'm sure it will be back in due course when the duty levels change and make it financially viable - but for now we are stuck with regular unleaded petrol.

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:29 pm

That said, regular unleaded includes 5% bio-ethanol in any case...

Some info:

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Transport/Business/Electric-vehicles/Cleaner-fuels/Bioethanol

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Yes, we've invested in the old and the very new. Can't wait for FutureVWBay.com
osg
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Interesting.

Right poll time: how significant a factor was your AquaBay's ability to run on bio-ethanol at your time of purchase and if it were more available, but at the same cost as unleaded, would you use it?

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I would only use it if I was going to make a saving over unleaded.

Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 6:01 pm

I agree, although there is clearly an environmental benefit, it also has to be financially viable.

If the net cost was the same (lower price to balance the extra consumption) I would certainly use it.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Aircooled driver option added so our classic engined members can view the poll results.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 7:44 pm

With talk of petrol being replaced by other sources of power - LPG, batteries/fuel cells/electricity, hydrogen etc. - having an alternative seemed an excellent way to future-proof staying on the road. Bio-ethanol was already tried and tested in Brazil and was known to be half the cost of petrol - so seemed a good bet.
So to buy the Totalflex engine was a definite plus point.
Availability in the future still seems a likely expectation. But will it ever be sold cheaply in England? I very much doubt it.
osg
Back to top Go down
DesF

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 6:44 am

I used it for a while in 2009 when I was passing a Morrisons that stocked it, usually Weston super Mare when on the M5. However when I did the sums it was costing more in Pence per mile terms, so reluctantly back to unleaded.
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:29 pm

In the Poll so far, 47% (8 of 17) thought it mattered to some extent.
osg
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:53 pm

I have used 3 LPG cars and you get A fair bit less mpg on LPG as it is a weaker fuel I think bio seems similar and needs to be a fair bit cheaper to make it worth while
Back to top Go down
Blue Seagull

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 pm

I got the impression from somewhere that it does put aquabays into a lower road tax bracket than might otherwise be the case...... can anyone confirm this?

It was an intriguing feature when we bought our van, but the chances of it going on widespread sale here in North Wales are not high.

CHRIS
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Well with Virgin Atlantic today announcing plans to run their aircraft on a new form of jet fuel by 2 year's time by recycling carbon monoxide, nothing's impossible.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:31 pm

Blue Seagull wrote:
I got the impression from somewhere that it does put aquabays into a lower road tax bracket than might otherwise be the case...... can anyone confirm this?

CHRIS
Yep, I'm under the same impression, the Aquabays do have a lower road tax because of this. Which is a bit of result as we can't even get it over here.

Sure it's just a matter of time before it's readily available and cheap enough to use.

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Been having a bit of a dig around the internet.
Looks like our Kombis are in Tax bracket F £130 for the year. Whereas the VW Fox 1.4 is in tax bracket G, £165 for the year but the Polo 1.4 is in bracket E. Only £115 for the year.

If you have a look HERE

Under the alternative fuels section then Tax bracket F should be £120 for the year.

So it looks like road tax isn't any cheaper

Can anyone with an aircooled confirm how much their road tax is??

Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 10:01 pm

kiteman wrote:

Can anyone with an aircooled confirm how much their road tax is??
my 55 plate air bay £215 Sad
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 am

Tilly said "Bio-ethanol won't be the same process at all I know - it will involve distilling something sugary "

Is it not still ( excuse the pun) illegal in this country to distil alcohol?

osg
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:43 pm

In England, even petrol is cheaper than rum.
I wonder what is done in Brazil to stop the population drinking Bio-ethanol fuel?
osg
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 7:11 pm

Latest in the Poll, 40% (10 of 25) thought the ability to use Bio-ethanol mattered to some extent
osg
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Don't know if someone knows something we don't, but a lot of farms round here are growing elephant grass, which I believe is turned into bio-ethanol.

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional    
Very Happy                           Bio-ethanol - do you use it? Signat11
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Good!!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bio-ethanol - do you use it?   Bio-ethanol - do you use it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bio-ethanol - do you use it?
Page 1 of 1