brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Spare wheel? It's on the roof!

Go down 
+3
dazdub
TimV
Roobarb
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Roobarb

Roobarb

Cabin : Exec 042

wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! Empty
PostSubject: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:42 am

If you've got a waterbay like Roobarb, you've generally got two choices of where to stash the spare wheel. It either clutters up the bedroom, or sits 4x4 style out the back. I was looking for somewhere different to keep our spare, and decided to mount it on the roof.

Like may others, we have a Mixdubs (Timetraveller) roof rack, and when we went to collect it, I mentioned to Mick my plans. He said that he could make up a little kit for me of bracket and fixings that would make the whole process safe and secure. Roobarb has now covered over 1000km since the change, and has just sailed through his MOT with the spare sat on the roof. The combined weight of rack and wheel are approximately 26kg, and has made no difference to the handling of the bus. Overall height has increased by 13cm, but as Roobarb was already full height, it has made no difference to height limited access barriers etc.

Topped off with a JK vinyl cover, we think it looks purposeful and not out of place on the roof.

At the time of posting, Mick is selling the kit for £20 plus £5 p&p, and he tells me that he has also just widened his range of Brazi bay racks, so if you are thinking of buying one, he's worth talking to.

Anyway, enough words, here's the photos...

wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! IMG_2676

This is the upgrade kit.
wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! IMG_2662

Before the alterations.
wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! IMG_2665

Six bolts hold the top loop, these are removed, turned around and new nylock nuts fitted.
wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! IMG_2667

This shows the bracket that is bolted to the spare wheel.
wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! IMG_2668

This is the underside bracket.
wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! Modified Bracket

The standard underside bracket relies on friction to hold the wheel in place, great for occasional use, but as this is to be permanent, I drilled extra holes and attached it to the wooden slats. As a belt and braces job, I have also held the wheel using four nylon ties. I mounted the wheel onto the rack, then lifted the whole lot onto the roof - an easy two person job.

If I need to get the spare wheel off, I have simply to undo one 17mm bolt and cut the nylon ties.
Back to top Go down
Roobarb

Roobarb

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am

Finally, here's a photo of Roobarb in his natural environment, with family and drink...

Don't know why I appear to be going bald in this shot - must be lens flare scratch

wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! IMG_2694
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:48 am

Good job. Hope you've got that rack tightly bolted to the gutters! Certainly a decent space saving idea.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Roobarb

Roobarb

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks Tim, oh yes, it's well and truly tight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Very good Smile
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Wheely good idea Laughing

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm tyred of all these good ideas Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 am

Tread carefully guys....

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
jo_abz

jo_abz

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi, nice space saver, just wondering whether anyone has tried storage under the engine? Obviously would need solid fitting, but I'm keen to try underside fitting if there is space. If not, I'll ping Mick.
Thanks,
Joe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spare wheel? It's on the roof!   wheel - Spare wheel?  It's on the roof! Empty

Back to top Go down

Spare wheel? It's on the roof!
Page 1 of 1