brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Who needs a roof rack?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

Roof - Who needs a roof rack? Empty
PostSubject: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Having decided I needed some extra carrying space but not keen on sticking a roof rack on, I saw mention of tow bar carriers. So a quick visit to an online supplier and last night I took delivery of a Thule EasyBase. It clips on really easily and is rated to 60kg, so should be good for the likes awning, poles etc and other such stuff. I've yet to get the storage bag that goes with it, this is just the base unit, but I'm pleased so far.

Roof - Who needs a roof rack? 81250710
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks good. A towbar and associated items may be our next purchase.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 pm

That's a great peice of kit, Chris.

________________________________________________________________________________
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:36 pm

You might have to make a GREAT BIG sticker for the front of your van to remind you it's there,! Would make a nasty mess of van and anything behind!!!! With it being below window height it may take some getting used to,but otherwise very practical,does it have a fully waterproof bag to sit things in ? as spray from the road onto back of van is quite excessive ,nothing worse than a soggy awning to put up.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Interesting bit of kit - hope it all works OK!

lilyvdub wrote:
You might have to make a GREAT BIG sticker for the front of your van to remind you it's there,!

. . . or perhaps a little flag on a small pole that you can see thro' the rear window!

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:03 pm

lilyvdub wrote:
You might have to make a GREAT BIG sticker for the front of your van to remind you it's there,! Would make a nasty mess of van and anything behind!!!! With it being below window height it may take some getting used to,but otherwise very practical,does it have a fully waterproof bag to sit things in ? as spray from the road onto back of van is quite excessive ,nothing worse than a soggy awning to put up.
Yep, I think you're right, a great big neon sticker. Mind you, although I haven't tried it yet, I imagine e reversing sensors will go haywire, so that might help remind me.

The bag is 315litres, made of waterproof material, taped seams and integrated ziplock (though what good that is on a bag is anyone's guess). Should be good enough, hopefully.

Scooby wrote:
or perhaps a little flag on a small pole that you can see thro' the rear window!
Now that seems a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 pm

A Brazilian flag!

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Bag sounds fine, as for the flag..........
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm not sure if your suspension has been lowered Sunny as mine has, but our towing hook often grounds when entering/leaving driveways excetera where there is a dip in the road surface. I'm pretty sure you will encounter the same problems on a more regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:58 pm

irishman wrote:
I'm not sure if your suspension has been lowered Sunny as mine has, but our towing hook often grounds when entering/leaving driveways excetera where there is a dip in the road surface. I'm pretty sure you will encounter the same problems on a more regular basis.

Good point, what's the ground clearance of the 'platform' when attached?

I doubt regular roads will cause any problems, but drives or car parks with slopes might. I wouldn't recommend attempting to cross any fords with it attached, some of the extra and exit slopes/ramps can be quite severe. Oh and boarding ferries at high or low tide might be an issue too....

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:44 am

Tallulah wrote:
Good point, what's the ground clearance of the 'platform' when attached?
I'll have a look next time I put it on and report back.

Quote :
some of the extra and exit slopes/ramps can be quite severe. Oh and boarding ferries at high or low tide might be an issue too....
Well I'd better make sure all is ok before France trip next year then Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Don't come to York with it on ,we have hundreds of sleeping policeman humps on the roads ,you would def ground it out!!!
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Mrs B and I going to York on thurs/fri. Taking the Disco so no worries about sleeping policemen!

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who needs a roof rack?   Roof - Who needs a roof rack? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who needs a roof rack?
Page 1 of 1