brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

New Tow Bar on the market

Go down 
+11
irishman
EJ
Feliz
michel_bonn
AbsintheKombi
harryhornet
dizzylizard
Happyhouse
Tallulah
Sunny
TimV
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

New Tow Bar on the market Empty
PostSubject: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:24 am

Fitting a tow bar to your BraziBay increases its versatility.  Most owners are looking to either pull a trailer or attach a bike carrier that can take more than the 2 cycle version from Fiamma that attaches to the tailgate.  The downside for me and Max is that a tow bar breaks up his 'clean' lines and if the tow bar gets infrequent use - do I really want it hanging off the back of my SportzKombi?  Not really.  

I need to carry more than 2 bikes this coming Kombi Kaper to France, so I got in contact with Watling Engineers to see if they could provide me with a tow bar that could be out of sight for the majority of the time and easily put into operation when required.  They came up trumps.

I headed down to their workshops in St. Albans earlier this week.  This is a family business that's been going for 60 years and their premises are in lovely traditional buildings.  I discussed the job with Ben Babcock, who is the 3rd generation to run the business.  Alongside Max, they were going to be fitting a tow bar to a beautiful classic Rover 3.5.  I knew I was in safe hands.  They have free wi-fi in the office so I spent most of my time there on my iPad, the weather wasn't great outside, but you could catch a bus into St. Albans or go walking in the surrounding countryside whilst your Kombi is being worked on.

They set to work:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone38

By 3pm I was driving home and a very happy chap.  The work was first class and I was delighted with the outcome.  So what have we got?  Here's Max sporting his new accessory:
Detached:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone39
Attached:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone40
Detached:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone41
Attached:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone42

This is a brand new product from Watling for the Brazilian T2 Kombi as this is the first detachable tow bar that's been available.  Here's how the attachment works:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone43
2 heavy duty quick-release pins hold the tow ball section in place.  These can be padlocked.
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone44
When not required, you simply pull the pins out and slide out the tow ball section, replacing it with the rubber bung.
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone45

Now Max can wear his new bike carrier I picked up in our charity auction at the Sleepover this year:
New Tow Bar on the market Iphone46
... and when we don't need this facility, it all gets hidden away.  Fantastic!

The job Watling did was top notch, I am delighted with the care and attention to detail they put in.

The new detachable tow bar itself costs £250 + VAT.  On top of that you'll need ancilliary items such as the electrics and tow ball, cover etc.  A bit more than a standard tow bar, but apart from the detachable function, the receiver section now opens up a realm of possibilities for other accessories.  In the US, the vast majority of tow bar users have a similar, slightly larger receiver, and they fit an enormous number of accessories to their vehicles, using the stability made available by the tow bar receiver: tables, chairs, other types of carrying racks etc.  So now we open up a new avenue of versatility for our Kombis.  What would you design to fit into that square hole?  I'm thinking electric shower powered by the tow bar electrics!  Over to you.

If you want to order one of these new detachable tow bars, contact Watling Engineers on 01727 873661.  Even better, members of our Executive Club get a 5% discount on their purchase, contact me for details.  Basketball

PS: please note in the photos of the attached tow ball, that also includes the base for the cycle carrier I now use, so it looks larger than if you were to just have a tow ball, hence my desire for it to be detachable.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

New Tow Bar on the market Melogo11

Last edited by TimV on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm

Seriously impressive stuff. Well done. Shame I have one as that would be brill.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Very nice.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Happyhouse

Happyhouse

Cabin : Exec 007

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Tidy job and nice cycle carrier !!Smile
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Lovely job, I have always baulked at the idea of fitting a tow bar for the same reasons, but I could be tempted now.

As usual, a couple of questions, sorry Rolling Eyes It looks they use the bolt holes holding the panel on, is there other welding or bolting involved to the bumper irons, and on the aqua bays there is a rear engine mount fixed to this cross-member, will it clear that ok.

(Very envious of their ramps, do they do a discount on them as well Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 1:59 pm

The two bolts on the rear panel are the originals - I asked this - they make use of these to give a vertical support to the bar. The bumper is removed, the tow bar offered up, it makes use of a further hole in the chassis leg, and then the bumper is offered up again and adds in 2 further extended bolts.

Yes this will fit an AquaBay.

New Tow Bar on the market Tow_ba10

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Looks like a very neat job. Are you concerned by the amount of weight on your rear when carrying 3 bikes?
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks for that, I'll have to start thinking of what can be fixed to a spigot. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 2:22 pm

harryhornet wrote:
Looks like a very neat job. Are you concerned by the amount of weight on your rear when carrying 3 bikes?

No - it feels like I've got power steering!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm

TimV wrote:
harryhornet wrote:

No - it feels like I've got power steering!
Or on ice =8-0
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Bikes aren't that heavy. I just compensate by having something heavy upfront. No not the mother-in-law. Not got one of those at the moment. tongue 

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:15 pm

TimV wrote:
 No not the mother-in-law.  Not got one of those at the moment. tongue 
:-) So glad I don't have memories of a hippo to worry about anymore. (Some will and some won't get that as a TV reference.)
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:23 pm

CJ: "I didn't get where I am today, thinking about hippos"

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:26 pm

Might've guessed you'd be first Smile
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:29 pm

The Old Ones are the oldest Wink 

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Quote :
Might've guessed you'd be first
Quote :
The Old Ones are the oldest

Ok, so, I'm old...

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:36 pm

I remember my grandfather telling me "like a vintage port, I get better with age".
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Quote :
I remember my grandfather telling me "like a vintage port, I get better with age".
I'm more like this ruined port;

New Tow Bar on the market Article-0-0B5E578000000578-165_634x415

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Haha, very good.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Somedays I think we should rename this site Dave. The Home of Witty Banter. Wink 

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Certainly enough rehashing of old material.
Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:50 pm

that looks good, tim,
i wish i could buy this in germany, but thats a dream :-(
cool car, very cool
michel_bonn

http://www.t2-c.de
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Sunny wrote:
Certainly enough rehashing of old material.

Boom Boom

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

michel_bonn wrote:
that looks good, tim,
i wish i could buy this in  germany, but thats a dream :-(
cool car, very cool
michel_bonn

You can order one from Watling michel. They will send overseas.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
michel_bonn

michel_bonn

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 7:07 pm

Wow, thanks for the information tim, i will looking for that. because i am looking for this since the bought from my car. i will show this before the germany´s TÜV for asking before.
but i havent found before a tow bar for our t2c.
best to you
michel
ps
i will be ansering at this post when i have the answer for the tow bar. lets look for it. :-)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tow Bar on the market   New Tow Bar on the market Empty

Back to top Go down

New Tow Bar on the market
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next