brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Magnetic awning adapter

Go down 
+7
pdjenks
kiteman
Skytiger
TimV
Tallulah
harryhornet
bobbo12
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bobbo12

Cabin : Club

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Empty
PostSubject: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 8:24 am

I think I shall be buying a Khyam drive away awning but not sure how best to connect to the camper.
Has anyone out there any experience of using a magnetic awning adapter? I think it may be easier to connect and disconnect than the pole and clamp method. It may also allow a couple of extra inches height which may prevent the sliding door catching the tunnel connection. What I'm not sure of is how resistant it would be to high winds
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 9:17 am

There are some reviews for the magnetic connection strip on the Just Kampers site.

JK Magnetic Connector Strip

Based on those the general consensus is good although how effective they are with wind is debatable.

Most owners use pole and clamp as it seems the most effective and secure.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
bobbo12

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for that. Think I will get the pole and clamp set and ponder the mag strip if I ever see one on site. By the way when you drive away for a trip and leave the awning in situ how, when you return, do you maneuver to exactly the same position on return? Is there some easy trick?
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 1:00 pm

I always use a pair of levelling chocks to mark the position.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 2:54 pm

As HH says, mark the location of the front and rear wheels on one side. If you can mark them with something you can see from the driving position then even better. We've used the yellow levelling ramps and/or a strategically placed tent peg - one you can see, not just a small metal one - but anything will do.

________________________________________________________________________________
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
bobbo12

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Elegantly simple. Cant wait to try it out. Many thanks
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 pm

I'd be wary about leaving my levelling chocks - someone could have them! Illuminated peg sounds ideal.

But not keen on attaching awning anymore. Blown off and against the side of my camper too many times.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Melogo11
Back to top Go down
pdjenks

pdjenks

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 pm

We made our own magnetic strips - we haven't seen the JK strip!

We used around 30 rare earth magnets and the M-in-law sewed thewm into a strip of material - not easy as the magnets stick to the needle Very Happy

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Awning15

We have about 3m worth, but could do with some more.

The awning doesn't move - my wife managed to rip the awning when she moved the van door - the magnets didn't budge....
Back to top Go down
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 10:19 pm

I like that idea @pdjenks I suppose it negates the problem of parking perfectly to your awning each time as you could gather more awning material and reduce sagging if necessary, something you can only do with perfect parking with pole and clamp or fig 8 attachment. Mmmmm food for thought!
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptySat Jul 25, 2015 9:05 am

Very handy for sun canopies as well, you can stick them higher up to give you head room. Cool

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
pdjenks

pdjenks

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Another pics of the magnets in action last week.

I'm hoping it was very windy compared to normal camping conditions - we did lose the connection a few times, but we know we dont have enough to fit down both sides of the awning.

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Magnet10

I think if we had more it would have been OK.
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 10:08 am

pdjenks wrote:
Another pics of the magnets in action last week.

I think if we had more it would have been OK.

That sounds like a "gonna need a bigger boat" sort of comment cheers

P.
Back to top Go down
pdjenks

pdjenks

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Very Happy

True.

After the gale force winds in Northern france last week, more than just magnets are needed Laughing

We did plan to be fair weather campers only...
Back to top Go down
Surfwagen Stan

Surfwagen Stan

Cabin : Exec 047

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm

I was quite attracted to that idea!

I popped into Funkyleisure Twickenham yesterday. The guy there suggests the gutter clamp is still the best solution for Brazis. They have a T5 and late bay on site. It's clear to see why the figure of eights don't work on the gutter when compared to bay, the gutter is a totally different shape and thickness.

I picked up off cut samples of the c channel sections to have a play with to see if there is any functional and stylish fixing point for use with the Kador strip. Unlikely, but there must be a better solution to the clamp.
Back to top Go down
pdjenks

pdjenks

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm now thinking of a bank of these as a quick solution Very Happy
(with some rubber inserts).

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Bulldo10

I'm sure there is a much better way....
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 9:56 pm

pdjenks wrote:
I'm now thinking of a bank of these as a quick solution Very Happy
(with some rubber inserts).

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Bulldo10

I'm sure there is a much better way....

Looks a bit of a faff to me. Why not go the whole hog and use clothes pegs?

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Surfwagen Stan

Surfwagen Stan

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 pm

I think it was Kiteman, who drilled a few holes in his pop top to attached a canopy. Can this idea be refined or built upon? It might lend itself to the sun canopy but maybe not a drive away.

I had thought about mounting the c channel under the pop top but don't think there's any room. It could be mounted on the outer edge of pop top ala Kiteman's idea. But don't know how that will affect the performance of the pop top. Also, maybe the channel could be the attached outside the guttering. But this wont give any sliding door clearance.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 am

Surfwagen Stan wrote:
I think it was Kiteman, who drilled a few holes in his pop top to attached a canopy.  Can this idea be refined or built upon? It might lend itself to the sun canopy but maybe not a drive away.

It was Irishman that has the holes drilled in the poptop. I was thinking about fitting some sort of C section to the underside of mine as well, but now I no longer have Ginger that's not an option.
Was looking to fix it to the bottom of the poptop canvas, just above where it joins the roof. There's a wooden batten that the bottom of the canvas is attached to. It shouldn't cause any problem with the poptop down either.

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
pdjenks

pdjenks

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 10:07 pm

We think we have the awning connection sorted!

We bought a magnetic strip from a local shop (similar to Just Kampers).

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Awning10

we then use a few clamps from Wilkos

awning - Magnetic awning adapter Awning11

This was quick to put up and down, and didn't move once.

Mind you, there was no wind or rain  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Surfwagen Stan

Surfwagen Stan

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 10:17 pm

The Surfwagen now has a 3 part 'c-section' with suckers that has worked well with the drive away awning. I have also bought some very small (approx 30mm x 20mm x 10mm) and powerful magnets that I plan to push into the pole sleeve. These are capable of holding 18kgs each, so 4 of these may be sufficient to hold either the summer awning up or the drive away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 am

Hi surfwagen stan, any pics of the c section and suckers and where you got them from. We have the Funky leisure sun shade and found their attachment bar was no good at all and we were thinking of trying some figure of eight strips,so any solution that works will be good news
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 am

Razorbaz wrote:
Hi surfwagen stan, any pics of the c section and suckers and where you got them from. We have the Funky leisure sun shade and found their attachment bar was no good at all and we were thinking of trying some figure of eight strips,so any solution that works will be good news

Do you mean the 'pole and clamp' attachment or something else? Most people use the 'pole and clamp' method for awnings and sun canopies without any problems.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:01 am

Yes i tried the pole and clamps but found that i couldn't get a good fixing with it so ended up setting it up freestanding
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:12 am

The Kyham pole and clamp kit is the one to go for. I've tried another make and found that the pole is too thin.
Kyham currently have one on offer (although they always have a reduction in price)
Kyham Pole and Clamp
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 10:24 pm

harryhornet wrote:
The Kyham pole and clamp kit is the one to go for. I've tried another make and found that the pole is too thin.
Kyham currently have one on offer (although they always have a reduction in price)
Kyham Pole and Clamp

£29.99

Cheaper via Tamworth camping on eBay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/131873785161?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045856&poi=&campaignid=628893806&device=c&adgroupid=28312585266&rlsatarget=pla-193545301506&adtype=pla&crdt=0

£22.99

P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic awning adapter   awning - Magnetic awning adapter Empty

Back to top Go down

Magnetic awning adapter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next