brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Roof rails and mounting system for our T2

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
deva.situnayake

Cabin : Club

Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Empty
PostSubject: Roof rails and mounting system for our T2   Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the advice from everyone about systems for carrying surfboards on a T2 pop top. After much deliberation we took our van to Campervan parts in Bideford www.campervanparts.uk/product-category/elevating-roof-racks and the guys there fitted their system to our T2. It took a bit of tweaking to ensure that the bolt system used to attach the vehicle rails did not prevent the pop top from fully bedding down properly but some flush fitting hex headed bolts drilled through the pop top at strategic locations did the trick. We have found that with a longboard and a fish strapped to the roof you can still elevate the roof but it is a struggle and the existing gas struts are probably not sufficiently powerful to support the pop top with the added load - so probably best to take off the surfboards before raising the roof. I guess it might be possible to obtain some new struts with a greater gas pressure that would be up to the task - something i might look into and would be interested to hear of others expereince with this. The other thing we have found is that with the boards up top the roof flexes a little and it's a bit harder to lower the roof and get both sides of the pop top to fully insert inside the roof gutter. Overall its been a success and means we have much more space inside the van when travelling and the wind noise is not much greater tough there are a few more creaks from the roof. I guess i need to surf on shorter lighter boards! A great advantage of the Campervan system is that you can move the cross rails on their mounts forward and backwards along the length of the vehicle very easily and take them off when they are not needed. I have posted some pics and i hope this info is useful for others who might be exploring roof carrying systems. Its not cheap but the quality is good!
Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Img_1710
Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Img_1712
Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Img_1711
Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Img_1713
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails and mounting system for our T2   Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 7:32 pm

That looks like a nice bit of kit, we did consider something like that but our surf kayak (yak) is 8ft long and fits inside our van, strapped to the underside of the bed boards with enough space to still use the rear seats.

No extra creaks or wind noise, all good.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails and mounting system for our T2   Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Ooh, LED lights inside as well!

What sort of ball-park figure (£) are you looking at for such a system fitted?

P.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails and mounting system for our T2   Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 8:54 pm

That's a very neat solution. If you end up getting stiffer gas struts it will make it harder to lower the roof without the boards. I put a block of wood between the kombi roof and the poptop to keep the roof up when I had my boards on the roof.

________________________________________________________________________________
Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails and mounting system for our T2   Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2016 9:09 pm

Sharp!!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roof rails and mounting system for our T2   Roof - Roof rails and mounting system for our T2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Roof rails and mounting system for our T2
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: KOMBI Katalogue :: Bay Related Products-
Jump to: