brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.

Go down 
+12
Scooby
buzzinfinity
Bumble
TimV
Dennis
bobbo12
osg
elliec
gordonmac
harryhornet
Ronnie Ringding
dazdub
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 am

osg wrote:
Just another thought if choosing a cab heater for a campervan.

A heater with 1.5Kw for on the road use would benefit from an alternative lower (less than 1.0Kw) setting to be used when the camper is hooked up to the campsite mains supply

osg

When you're plugged in at a campsite, why not just use a mains heater avoiding any draw on the camper's power resources? scratch

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Dennis

Cabin : Exec 033

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 11:46 am

Is the plan to trickle charge the tesla batteries at campsites or just Tesla plug in stations.
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi,

Yes the plan is when you get to a camper site you would hook up as normal. The 240v would power your plug sockets just like a normal Danbury so you could plug a small heater into the 240v sockets. At the same time it will be charging the tesla battery pack! So you could leave london, have a stop over and charge up and next day be in cornwall!

________________________________________________________________________________
www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
http://Www.braziliankampers.co.uk
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 1:02 pm

Ianvwk wrote:
Hi,

Yes the plan is when you get to a camper site you would hook up as normal. The 240v would power your plug sockets just like a normal Danbury so you could plug a small heater into the 240v sockets. At the same time it will be charging the tesla battery pack! So you could leave london, have a stop over and charge up and next day be in cornwall!

Somerset is more or less halfway from London to Cornwall, perfect for a stopover!!! santa

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 14, 2017 3:14 pm

My idea was to use the cab heater (on a lower setting) to avoid the need for a separate heater.
This was for when the electricity could come from the campsites hook-up supply.

However many campsite supplies are only 10 amps - how does this square up with the additional need to re-charge the Tesla bank of batteries?

osg
Back to top Go down
elliec

elliec

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Just wondering if there's any way that solar panels could help with the charging - or would they not be powerful enough - assuming there's enough sun that is!
I think it sounds brilliant & would happily offer up my van to be a guinea pig - so to speak...
Elliec
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Elliec,

We looked into solar panels but there 12v for leisure use and the Tesla battery pack is 3 phase , very high voltage. A full day of sun wouldn't even give you an extra mile!

Ian

www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 2:30 pm

osg wrote:
My idea was to use the cab heater (on a lower setting) to avoid the need for a separate heater.
This was for when the electricity could come from the campsites hook-up supply.

However many campsite supplies are only 10 amps - how does this square up with the additional need to re-charge the Tesla bank of batteries?

osg

Good point OSG, some campsites only supply 6A hookups.

Any idea what the current draw is when charging on a regular hookup, or is there any way to limit it to 6 or 10A depending on what the site hookup might allow?

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 5:42 pm

!0 amps at 240 volts = 2.4 Kilowatts
So time to fully charge a 42 KwHour battery pack is about 17 hours
Good point Tallulah, when the battery pack is empty there would have to be a feature in the charger that restricted current flow to no more than 10 amps.

It seems a better option is for campsites to start installing the chargers designed for electric vehicles

osg

Back to top Go down
bobbo12

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Interesting question on charging limits as all I can find on various electric vehicle brochures is that a 3 KW socket is minimum requirement. However the Renault Zoe documentation seems to refer to an "Intelligent charging box" which will take whatever you give it and charge accordingly. I have seen a couple of Outlander PHEV vehicles on campsites plugged into the EHUs but not sure what happens if the caravan is also connected with associated equipment adding to the load.
Also what are the consequences  to campsite owners when more and more EV and plugin hybrid vehicles appear? At the moment the EHU is inclusive in the nightly fees but would seem unlikely that they could also handle vehicle charging as well.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Indeed as a soon to be campsite owner, I’m more than happy for EV owners to recharge via the regular EHU, however if it starts to affect the business bottom line too much, or the power available to other campers then we might need to consider an additional charge.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 8:34 pm

Tallulah Pulling 10 amps for 17 hours will cost you a fortune as a campsite owner lets hope you don't get many. Also as you say if you have several your diversity factor for load will need amending. Tim ps happy new year
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Let's be realistic about numbers here. Whilst I'm confident there will be plenty of electric BraziBays on the road in coming years, the probability that there will be more than 1 at any given campsite (unless of course it's a meet) is slim. Therefore the potential draw on the campsite's facilities will be marginal.

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Dennis

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 9:43 pm

That is why we work with a diversity factor !!
Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 9:47 pm

elliec wrote:
Just wondering if there's any way that solar panels could help with the charging - or would they not be powerful enough - assuming there's enough sun that is!
I think it sounds brilliant & would happily offer up my van to be a guinea pig - so to speak...
Elliec

Surfwagen Stan has fitted solar panels on his roof. Of course, that is only to charge the leisure and starting batteries.

I would also like to do that in 2018.

P.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 12:23 pm

TimV wrote:
Let's be realistic about numbers here. Whilst I'm confident there will be plenty of electric BraziBays on the road in coming years, the probability that there will be more than 1 at any given campsite (unless of course it's a meet) is slim. Therefore the potential draw on the campsite's facilities will be marginal.

I agree, it is unlikely to become a problem based purely on electric Brazibays (BraziBuzzyBays?) but with the general trend toward EVs of all sorts, which is of course a good thing for the environment, there will be a point when several EVs of different types arrive at a site and expect to be able to recharge while their owners are camp.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
buzzinfinity

buzzinfinity

Cabin : Exec 059

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Having been an EV owner since 2011 I have quite a bit of experience of charging points and their vulnerabilities but Buzz can always come to the rescue as he has a petrol engine! The problem in winter with the EVs is less the heater consumption than the fact that the batteries give less power. Our 100 mile range in summer went down to a measly 35 miles with the heater on in winter in central Scotland. Modern EVs like the Golf, Leaf and the Zoe have battery heaters to reduce this problem. Is there a battery heater in the Brazillian Campers conversion?

Last year I switched my EV for a Golf GTE which does 20-30 miles on electric which is great for most days but can still cope with the long journeys. VW seems to be taking this approach for their new ironically named "Buzz" project electric new style bay window camper van.

There will be lots of problems in the years ahead with the electricity grid and local connection capacity (not just campsites) but the main second life use for old car batteries is local storage so that a campsite could use batteries from old electric vehicles to store electricity drawn from the grid off peak to cope with peak charging demand from a field of EV campers.

I am not ready yet to convert Buzz to full electric but if there was a solution to use electric motors in the wheels (as with the Golf) and lose a bit of space under the seat for a battery pack then I might go with that sooner. Otherwise I think I will wait for the next generation batteries (lithium, sodium or even hydrogen) before going full electric.

Whatever solution we adopt, Brazillian Bays will be around for decades to come with electric power - but might start to be banned from more roads by 2030 if still running on petrol so all of us might need to plan ahead!!
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 pm

buzzinfinity wrote:
Brazillian Bays will be around for decades to come with electric power - but might start to be banned from more roads by 2030 if still running on petrol so all of us might need to plan ahead!!

Brazi Bays to infinity and beyond - together in Electric Dreams Cool

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 10:57 am

Hi All,

We are just working on the Brazilian Electric bus and have taken into account some of the points mentioned above.

This is the kind of charging lead that you will be able to plug in at a campsite to charge the camper:

https://evconnectors.com/portable-ev-charger/portable-mode-2-16amp-62196-2-evse-cee-plug

We will update you when we have some more progress!

www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
MarcusH

MarcusH

Cabin : Exec 031

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am

Roughly how much would it cost to charge a camper?

Just wondering if I came to a campsite in an electric vehicle and plugged it in I would imagine the Campsite wouldn't be too pleased with the bill I was running up. I've always paid for a pitch including electricity (usually don't bother) - does a site know how much electricity is being used for each pitch?
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 am

MarcusH wrote:
Roughly how much would it cost to charge a camper?

Just wondering if I came to a campsite in an electric vehicle and plugged it in I would imagine the Campsite wouldn't be too pleased with the bill I was running up. I've always paid for a pitch including electricity (usually don't bother) - does a site know how much electricity is being used for each pitch?

There aren’t many sites who meter individual hookup points, most will have a central meter and the only indication of high use would be if the isolator trips.

We stayed at a site in Rutland a few years back that sold £5 worth of levy as a card that was inserted into the hookup point to activate it and there was a digital readout of how much was left.

We only used about £3 over 3 or four days which included a 500w radiator and charging multiple devices.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 11:39 am

Hi Guys,

Here are your answers..

Heaters - the heater has 3 fan speed settings, low, med, high which draw the following power respectively 15A, 16A and 17Amps.

Elec costs - assuming a 14p/kWh (which is a bad rate to be on) it would cost £5.88 to charge up a 42kWh battery pack. But to be practical, you never charge it up from empty, you always charge it up with something left in the tank. 90% of the time I charge up from around 80% full.

Many Thanks

Ian & Richard @ Eletric - Camper and Eletric Classics...

https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk

www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Ianvwk wrote:

Heaters - the heater has 3 fan speed settings, low, med, high which draw the following power respectively 15A, 16A and 17Amps.

So on the basis that most sites limit the EHU to a 10A (some 6A) supply, using the heater while at a site will drain the batteries as it will be using more power than is available for recharging.

Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
brabay

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 am

I doubt that Brazilian made gearbox will withstand the torque of the electric motor. they regularly snap pinion heads with normal engine.
Back to top Go down
http://shift.direct
Ianvwk

Ianvwk

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 am

We have rebuilt the gearbox with stronger internals!

www.vwkampers.co.uk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.   A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A world first! 100% Electric VW Campers from Brazilian Kampers.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next