I’ve checked with Tayna and they say “ I would recommend venting this to outside if it is installed into a living area. “
The elbow and tube about 250mm long is supplied for venting. I’ve looked into this a lot more and feel the following conclusion is correct. Comments and advice appreciate
1/ if your starter or leisure
battery is installed in the engine bay, no problem venting not required but make sure the transit plugs are removed if it’s a Wet cell battery or it will fill with pressure and eventually explode 🤯
2/ if your leisure
battery is inside and it’s the type that has small vent holes it needs venting outside.
3/ if it has two vent holes, only one needs venting and the other must be plugged with the transit plug. (If you’ve lost it, A bit of duck tape should do)
When lead acid batteries are charging they give off hydrogen gas which is highly explosive needs vent out. (Exide ER350 vents it out via a small 4mm hole on the side at the top.
All major car manufacturers that have internal battery mounting (in the boot, under seats etc) which are fitted with batteries that need venting have venting tubes fitted to the outside. If they bother to do it shouldn’t we? Hydrogen gas doesn’t have a smell, is lighter than air so will come into the living area and is highly explosive
The bad egg smell is Hydrogen sulfide caused by over-charging a lead acid battery. “The gas is colourless , very poisonous, flammable and has the odour of rotten eggs. ... As a simple guideline, hydrogen sulfide becomes harmful to human life if the odor is noticeable.” Check your battery .
It may need topping up with demineralised water to just above the plates. Don’t overcharge it, use a smart charger I have a NOGO Genius2 which I use on my starter battery. I’m not sure about the leisure
charger, is it smart?
I’ve also put this post on my original enquiry “Leisure
battery venting” as I feel I’ve gone off topic and don’t want Tim to tell me off