brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
11 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Lost in a new world ????

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Firefly

Cabin : Economy

Lost in a new world ???? Empty
PostSubject: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi All! really appreciate some advice regarding purchasing a brazilian camper, I'm a total newby and just go weak at the knees every time I see one I love you BUT my practical husband is against it atm, and would rather go modern... I'm after some realistic opinions please... are the newer versions reliable? Could I use it as a daily runner? or am I going to lose this argument and pursue a massive sulk before he gives in ha ha! Thank you..
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2020 2:55 pm

The newer ones are very reliable having electronic engine management and petrol injection. Just need a little more tlc but nothing complicated. Several members use them as a daily runner. I have a 2004 aircooled which I bought in 2008 and I use it all year round . I've had many trips from Gloucester to Scotland, France ,Germany, Italy, Slovenia. The only time I've required attention is when I went out the first time and couldn't restart on the camp site to come home. Once valves adjusted all ok and never happened again as I check them regularly. The second time was a few weeks ago when my alternator played up , could have happened in any vehicle. Not bad for a 16 year old vehicle. I do all my own maintenance but I always have on my cars. A like thirsty at 27 mph for aircooled. Water cooled is a lot less thirsty and much quieter.

TimV and Firefly like this post

Back to top Go down
Firefly

PostSubject: Re: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2020 3:43 pm

Thank you 😊 this is reassuring!
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

You could certainly use it as a daily drive, especially the newer watercooled which do about 35mpg. The good thing about them is that they are holding their value, especially since they are no longer manufactured, whereas you will lose on depreciation with a modern van. We bought our 2011 van 6 years ago, and similar models are now on sale for as much and more as we paid for it. Provided you buy a well maintained example, which will probably require no more than routine maintenance, the cost of ownership is very low. A compromise might be to get a Brazilian, in the knowledge that even if you eventually find it's not for you, it isn't an expensive mistake.

TimV and Firefly like this post

Back to top Go down
Firefly

PostSubject: Re: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptySat Nov 07, 2020 10:26 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can't wait to get one!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 6:42 pm

Doo have a read of this to to begin with  . . .

https://brazilianvwbay.forumotion.com/t4450-a-guide-to-buying-an-used-brazilian-vw-kombi

Our advice in addition to the info in the link above is to set a budget and stick to it.
When viewing a Kombi if there is something not right in your opinion walk away.
There are plenty of vehicles out there and there will be one that is right for you.
Get the most you can for the budget and perhaps be flexible on colour (if you can).
When we found Scooby we were not looking for a specific colour.
We just wanted the best Kombi we could afford, with a decent amount of extras already fitted.
If appropriate, try before you buy is also a good thing to doo - particularly with Diamond or Rio layouts.
Good van hunting and doo enjoy the experience.
Roo b Roo
jocolor

________________________________________________________________________________
Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce

Firefly likes this post

Back to top Go down
Firefly

PostSubject: Re: Lost in a new world ????   Lost in a new world ???? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Thank you, that's great 😊 yes I'll take that on board, its such a big investment, id rather play the long game and get it right! Just keeping an eye on vwkampers atm, to see what pops up.... Thanks again.
Back to top Go down

Lost in a new world ????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: NewBays-
Jump to: