brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Brake dust guard

Go down 
+6
dazdub
max
olive
Baydreamer
TimV
kiteman
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

Brake - Brake dust guard Empty
PostSubject: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Got myself some of these

BRAKE DUST SHIELD

Used to stop the brake dust from the front disc getting the wheels dirty, will fit them later this week and see how good they are.

________________________________________________________________________________
Brake - Brake dust guard Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:55 pm

I've had these on cars before.

They tend to hinder the natural cooling of the brake mechanisms - but it's really only a problem if we're talking about a sports car. Ginger .... are you up for the challenge!?!

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Brake - Brake dust guard Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Baydreamer

Baydreamer

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 pm

i tend to get intermittant squeking sometimes from the front wheels. It comes and goes and ive checked for mice but havent found any yet. Could brake dust be the cause?!!...
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm

It dust mite.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:01 pm

TimV wrote:
I've had these on cars before.

They tend to hinder the natural cooling of the brake mechanisms - but it's really only a problem if we're talking about a sports car. Ginger .... are you up for the challenge!?!

Ginger coolness is more than enough to stop to discs getting hot afro Smile

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Fitted the guards today. Looks like there's plenty of room behind the guard for air flow.
No need to clean the wheels everytime I go for a drive now Smile

Brake - Brake dust guard Imag0313

Brake - Brake dust guard Imag0314

Brake - Brake dust guard Imag0315

Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Hoi Ginger, with this sun you should be out in the van not working on it. Go on get out there and enjoy the rays sunny
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 pm

One night shift to go then it's playtime, the rays will be well and truely enjoyed

Back to top Go down
max

max

Cabin : Economy

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Nice job mate.

Shudders ran down my spine when I read you clean your wheels every time you go out for a drive Laughing

But with your nice rims it all makes sense!

Like a Star @ heaven Rennsemmel Like a Star @ heaven ('Racing Roll')
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

She's very demanding, has to look her best at all times Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Nice job brake dust makes a mess with wheels hope it works
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Just had a weekend away in Eastbourne, looks like they work a treat. The front wheels are cleaner than the rear ones.

Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:40 am

Hi Kiteman. Im thinking of fitting a pair of these on mine. How have you got on with them in the last 6 weeks? Sounds a good idea as brake dust can damage the wheels.
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:51 am

They work a treat, front wheels stay nice and clean. If anything the rear wheels get dirtier now.
Had a bit of a squeek to start with where the rubber part was rubbing on the calliper, but that seems to have stopped now.

Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon May 23, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks Kiteman. The squeek is strange though? What if the discs get hot will the rubber melt?
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon May 23, 2011 5:50 pm

The rubber is no where near the disc so won't be a problem, it's just the outside of the calliper it's close to.
As the wheel goes round the disc just brushes on the calliper. It's where the rubber is bonded onto the stainless centre and sticks out in places.

Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon May 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Cool. Thanks for that. One more pressie for the van I need to buy! Need to hide from the wife after :-)
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Don't think these guards were quite as good as I first thought Embarassed
On the way back from stonor had a funny noise comimng from the front somewhere. Got home and had a quick look at wheels. The rubber on the guard has perished from heat by the looks of it.
Will have a propper look during the week when I get time, but looks like I need to find another solution to keeping the wheels clean.

Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Sorry to read about the problem with the dust guards - but if any one can sort it out you can!

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
olive

olive

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 9:21 pm

kiteman wrote:
Don't think these guards were quite as good as I first thought Embarassed
On the way back from stonor had a funny noise comimng from the front somewhere. Got home and had a quick look at wheels. The rubber on the guard has perished from heat by the looks of it.
Will have a propper look during the week when I get time, but looks like I need to find another solution to keeping the wheels clean.

If they are no good its back to sponge, soap and water like the rest of us Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 10:05 am

Knowing 'Kiteman', he'll have some electrical device fitted by the end of the week that will wash the wheels automatically Smile
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am

Well .... if you can get automatic greenhouse sprinklers, why not auto-alloy buffers?!

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Managed to have a nose at the guards today.
The rubber part of the disc rubs on the calliper by quite a bit, to the point it had worn all the way through in places Shocked
Can't seem to find anything else out there at the moment, so looks like i'm gonna have to keep them clean the hard way Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
pastymaster

pastymaster

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 pm

If you do end up cleaning things the old fashioned way I can really recommend getting some Bilberry Wheel Cleaner. It is by far and away the best stuff I've ever used.

No effort required what so ever, just brush it on and rinse.

Don't buy it if your wheels are polished metal though.

pastymaster

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pastymaster
jj123vw

jj123vw

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 am

Anyone tried RimWax? Its meant to be good.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake dust guard   Brake - Brake dust guard Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake dust guard
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next