brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joker

joker

Cabin : Club

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Empty
PostSubject: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm

In 2002, after spending a night camping in a tent in South Devon and waking up surrounded by VW campers we decided it was time to reignite our affair with VW’s. Both sets of my Grand parents had VW’s when I was a kid in the ‘70’s, Campers, vans, notches, squares, fastbacks and beetles.

We’d bought our first van; ‘Blue’, a 1976 twinslider for £1k in 1993, and we had a single cab pick-up very briefly. Pics of Blue the 2slider

Me with lots of hair

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Img032

Sue

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Img037

Tara, our dog and best friend in her favourite seat

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Img034

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Img033

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Img035

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Img036

Sadly Tara and Blue are both now long gone. (if anyone knows the whereabouts of LHA751P send me a PM)

So, with £5k in hand I scoured the country looking for the right van. Most were described as ‘rust free’ or ‘restored’, all the ones I looked at were rot boxes. We couldn’t up the budget and buying a wreck full of filler was not an option. Finally in October 2003 and after nearly a year I found a van advertised on the VW Heritage website, described as a 1974 rust free former ambulance from South Africa, now with a Westy Continental interior.

For £2.5k!

It sounded too good to be true but I saw this as my last chance as prices were climbing. So I headed down to Essex, cash in the glove box. The guy was a trader with a yard full of vans, I drove past the nice white Kombi at the front hoping it would be that one, but knowing it couldn’t be. But it was; the van had been brought into Europe via Sweden and was still on Swedish plates. It had just passed its first UK MOT (with an advisory on the washer jets!), and was indeed 100% rust free. The front arches had been repaired with hand made panels, but these were respectable – this and the dent in the rear corner being the only problem with the body. It was scruffy, dirty and unloved, but the body was in fantastic condition – underneath looked like new. The engine was past it though, so on this basis I offered £2k and the seller said yes!

I left my deposit and from here the fun began!

This is how I saw it on that day

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04431

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04423

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04415

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04414

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04413

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04412

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04432

A memorable day for another reason too - see the man in the box?

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Oct04445

Here it is just shortly after we brought it home in October 2003. After a good wash and polish, a new badge and registered

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 1

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 2

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 4

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 3

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 20

The following photo’s show our first trip out as a family after we’d registered the van, about a week later. I patched up the engine as best I could, and armed with an RAC membership we decided to venture out. We filled the van with fuel and I drove the mammoth 1 mile trek to show the in-laws the van. As we came out of the house fuel started to gush from the tank and down the hill!
The fuel sender had come off under the pressure, as had the filler pipe! The fire brigade were called – as you can see they all had a good laugh watching me gag as I attempted to siphon off the fuel!.

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 5

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 6

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 7

The van doesn’t like engines – we’ve had some ups and downs, some great trips away and some disastrous break downs.

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 8

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Sat070204069

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 9

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 10

We’re now on the 3rd engine in the 8 years that we’ve owned the van. Here is the only photo I have of the first engine - an AD1600

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Picture091

Here is the 1700 being installed by me in 2004 (looking a few pounds lighter than today!)

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 11

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 12

...and the newly built 1800 being installed after I built it myself on the dining room table, and being tuned on the rolling road in 2011.

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 13

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 14

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 15

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested S7300623

Here are the new wheels, a trip out to Hay where we camped out in the van for the first time in 2 years and went to see Dara o’Briain, and last night, camping out with its new Brazilian friend.

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 16

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 18

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 19

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested 17

Armed with a new engine and 12 months MOT (no advisories) we’re planning a long trip around Europe. I’m hooked on engine building now and am planning a firebreather, but as a family we all love the van so will own it for life.

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested JokersBus

I also currently have a 1972 Riviera on its way to me mid-Atlantic and am considering a new late late bay water cooled Kombi from Brasil as i've found someone who can get me one here on the cheap via the USA. If it comes off i'll be sticking a scooby out back
Smile

Last edited by joker on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 pm

Sounds like a true VW adventure but sorry to disappoint - I can't open any of your photo links above. You'll probably need to rehost them.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Melogo11
Back to top Go down
joker

joker

PostSubject: Re: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 am

Tilly wrote:
Thanks for posting the photos - working for me.

Surprised you can get a Bazilian through the USA because I thought they couldn't import them into the USA (crash tests?)

ways and means Wink
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 8:55 am

Got the pix now. Great story and looks like you met your Bay via VW Downunder.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Melogo11
Back to top Go down
joker

joker

PostSubject: Re: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 10:06 pm

for all intent and purpose mine is a german T2. It came off the production line in Germany as a bodyshell and was assembled in South Africa in 1974. Although its a 1974 version there are the odd parts which come from the early bay, which has made some things a head ache to replace. Tell tale parts like the headlights, on a 74 they should be flat, they're not and the headlamp lense and bowl is from the early bay. The odd switch etc is early - as a CKD they'd have just carried on using what was in the parts bin
Smile
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 6:52 am

A Very nice clean bay Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested   the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested Empty

Back to top Go down

the Joker's bus... but only if you're interested
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: Gallery-
Jump to: