brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Skytiger

Skytiger

Cabin : Exec 008

headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)   headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Great "how to" I need to do this on my MINI as somebody had glued the bolt that holds the brake disc on. The wheel holds it on anyway, but it's bugging me.

Thanks very handy
Back to top Go down
Andy

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)   headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 am

Instead of using a Helicoil... a Rivnut would be even better.

Rivnuts are threaded inserts designed specifically for putting threaded holes into thin sheet metal.

I freakin love Rivnuts, and dont know what I did before them, I use them all the time... I even used some today when relocating my fuel filter to make a bit more room for a leisure battery.
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)   headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 am

Great write-up Tilly. Thank you.

Can I suggest folks stick some duck tape on the paintwork in the area being worked on? One false move with that drill is going to ruin your day.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) Melogo11
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)   headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 8:28 am

hi very good job to stop rust put some paint on the whole area or just cover the whole lot in waxoil Smile
Back to top Go down
stan

stan

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)   headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Excellent guide I have to say, a proper job.

The reason its cross threaded is someone being a bit too hamfisted I would say and also the metal is probably soft.

From days of old all I ever did was get some pliers and slightly bend the tab over a fraction for the screw thread to grip it - not big clever or cool but its stood the 20 year test of time for my old Beetle! Smile

________________________________________________________________________________
Regards

Stan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)   headlight rim - Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds) Empty

Back to top Go down

Dealing with stripped threads (headlight surrounds)
Page 1 of 1