brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Help Needed / Guidance

Go down 
+9
docmark
jj123vw
JLS 62
irishman
sparkysteve
dazdub
gordonmac
TimV
pegg
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pegg

pegg

Cabin : Economy

Help Needed / Guidance Empty
PostSubject: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Hello all ....
Me and my family have been debating the Brazilian thang for a while now but just have a couple of niggles .
We have owned beetles , bays and a couple of t25's in the past so know all about the vw vibe .... and love the feeling a vw brings to your life !

However, me and the wife have a family now , so are looking at reliability so we are looking at the Brazilian more modern bay..... First question is - we like the last aircool models ( I think they go to 2005) - but are these as reliable as the latter radiator 1.4 models ? It needs to be reliable as it will be our daily driver etc etc.
Also , the other little query I have is the metal work and paint ..... is it upto standard or do I need to keep a close eye each year ?

Im asking you guys as you own these bus's and love em ........ and to be frank some of the old skool can be a little cruel ! But we like em ...... and we cannot go down the constant resoration route again EEK !

Any info , tips , help would be great ;o)

Many many thanks

Paul, Lisa, Jack and Boo
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello guys - you've come to the right place for advice.

Funnily enough I have been debating the Aircooled v Watercooled attributes of late as I've been advising a family in a similar situation. As an Aircooled owner/driver you'd think I'd naturally sway to the flat four. However in this case I'd recommend you buy Watercooled.

The Aircooled is a fine reminder of the Kombi's heritage. Along with the delightful sound of the engine you also get its occasional frailties. It does need more maintenance - tappets adjusting every 3000 miles - and because it's a 50 year old engine with '90s tech bolted onto it for regulationary reasons it can prove awkward diagnosing faults when they arrive. However, we've collectively experienced pretty much all of its foibles here so a solution is often just a few clicks away. If people are looking for a campervan that drives well, causes a smile by it's very presence and is just for weekend/holiday use then go for an Aircooled. (There are folks here who use their Aircooleds everyday.)

The Watercooled or AquaBay as we call them here are made for the demands of everyday motoring. Ish. The 1.4 engine starts on the button whether hot or cold and purrs its way along reliably often reaching 35+ mpg. Everything else is retro though so you still get the coolest ride to school but in a vehicle that won't be spending much time 'down.' Fit pas if you need to parallel park a lot and if you don't like the look of the rad grille - personally I do - then get a dummy wheel cover.

Metal/paint - it's all covered elsewhere here. Not a problem if you keep your campervan clean, and once you own a BraziBay, you'll want to because of the enjoyment it brings you.

________________________________________________________________________________
Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

Help Needed / Guidance Melogo11
Back to top Go down
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Many thanks Tim, we didn't want to offend anyone with our niggles .... but you guys are the ones to know ;o)
A friend of mine owns absolute vw that's local to us so any maintenance he can take care of.
But biggest decision is aircool or water ??? but price is a biggy also .

But we will keep you posted
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 pm

I went for air-cooled - I like the sound and look of the old engine (I can at least understand how it works). The petrol is a little more expensive and the water-cooled are slightly faster but I like the idea of an old engine still plodding along fifty years after it was designed!

I don't think the reliability will be too different - especially if you've got a local garage to get regular servicing.

The paintwork does need an eye kept - waxoyl underneath once a year and plenty wax to polish it up.

Cost-wise, if you use it frequently, the extra price of the water-cooled one might be saved in petrol costs over a few years.

Keep us updated, and let us see what you buy!
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 pm

I have an aircooled mpg is the only moan water cooled are a lot better rust is only a prob if bay has not been rust treated a lot of people say the Brazilian bay is made of thin metal this is a lot of bull I have cut and fitted a pop top to my bay and the metal is very thick I have had a lot of dubs from spilty low light bay and 3 t25 and my Brazilian bay is by far the most reliable of all
Back to top Go down
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyFri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 pm

cheers guys , all info really helps.

thanx
Back to top Go down
sparkysteve

sparkysteve

Cabin : Exec 035

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 8:42 am

Hi

I had the same decision to make about a year ago.

We want for the aircooled as I have owned many beetles and classic bays and you can pull the engine in 20mins and the parts are cheap.

Our van betty has all the reliability and I use her everyday.

If you are close to absolute vw in castle Donington you are welcome to come and take an aircooled for a drive as we are only in Loughborough.

Steve

________________________________________________________________________________
Help Needed / Guidance Logo_s11

Visit my T2c Blog at http://t2bay.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
http://www.t2bay.blogspot.co.uk
irishman

irishman

Cabin : Exec 003

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 12:36 pm

As an aqua bay owner who uses the van as an everyday drive, I would definitely say to go for an aqua, there are an awful lot coming up now that have been previously owned/ loved that are very well priced. Keep your eyes peeled on here and 'fleabag' there's one out there waiting for you, and always remember waving a 'wad' of readies under someone's nose can often reduce the price considerably' good luck!
Back to top Go down
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 7:30 pm

cheers Irishman .... cash is deffo king ;o)

And big thanks steve I may take you up on that offer..... super!

Buying wise , we are going to have to get some finance , so looking at Danbury or similar garages really.
Back to top Go down
JLS 62

JLS 62

Cabin : Club
Location : Leicester - the centre of the world - sorry England

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Pegg - I was in Reg Vardy in Leicester a couple of weeks ago and they had a 10 plate water cooled Danbury for sale - can't remember much more about it apart from it having been owned by an elderly couple who had traded it in for a California and it having a very low mileage - oh and a disgusting colour !!

But might be worth taking it for a spin if it is still there !

Cheers

Julian
Back to top Go down
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 9:34 pm

thanks Julian will take a look
Back to top Go down
jj123vw

jj123vw

Cabin : Business

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 am

Hi Pegg . Don't know if you are aware but Danbury has a special low rate finance deal starting at just 2.99% fixed flat rate at the moment ( due to end soon ) subject to status... santa 
Back to top Go down
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 2:45 pm

we like low interest rates Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
sparkysteve

sparkysteve

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi Pegg

Offer to come and look, test drive an aircooled in Loughborough anytime.

Just send me a PM message and I will send you my contact details.

Remember finance deals only last on cars typically less than 10-15 years old. We took out a personal loan as our van was 2004.

Steve.

Back to top Go down
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 4:36 pm

ok steve , thanks
Back to top Go down
docmark

docmark

Cabin : Exec 022

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 pm

That was our decision
Mark
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi Pegg
Just for some balance in the argument - although we cannot fault the points in favour of water cooled!
We got Scooby - an Air Cooled - for weekend trips and holidays
He was never going to be our daily driver
The decision may therefore have been made more with the heart than with the head
But we would not change Scooby
Roo b Roo
jocolor

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
pegg

pegg

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Hey ... cheers guys , exciting times !
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 9:37 pm

I wouldn't swap Max for another campervan either. Not unless VW Kampers or Danbury, or anybody else for that matter want to give me £40k for him. Then we might talk, but somehow I think he's safe. Wink 

Oh and for the record my Aircooled would give any AquaBay a run for it's money any day. It would just have to pit stop more.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
sparkysteve

sparkysteve

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Air or aqua reminds me of the film / digital debate in photography. It's not what you use its how you use it that counts.

Just because you have the best saucepans does not make you a good cook.

All I can say about vw's is history of classic vw's don't favour water. How unpopular the water cooled t25 are.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:37 pm

sparkysteve wrote:
How unpopular the water cooled t25 are.
Err except for those that own and love them.

@brazilianvwbay

Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm not entering into an air or aqua debate...So, All I'll say , without delay , is go out and get a BraziBay...

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Words out of my mouth bb!!!!!
Back to top Go down
dazdub

dazdub

Cabin : Exec 012

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 6:32 am

If you are going to use as a daily and do a lot of miles go water if only a second car with little miles go air Smile
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 am

In the words of Oleta Adams (almost):

You can reach me by Air Bay
You can reach me by Water Bay
I don't care how you get here
Just get here if you can

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015

Last edited by Absinthe on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Needed / Guidance   Help Needed / Guidance Empty

Back to top Go down

Help Needed / Guidance