brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

Winter camping

Go down 
+11
harryhornet
Scooby
Matt
Gina Tonic
AbsintheKombi
osg
gordonmac
Hemlock
Baylee
Tallulah
bob k
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bob k

Cabin : Club

winter - Winter camping Empty
PostSubject: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi All I am thinking of popping to Devon for a few days in November. I was wondering does anyone use their bus (for camping) during the winter and how do you keep warm? Do you use the warm air heating system etc.?

Take care all

Bob K Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 am

We have a £20 electric heater from b+q which we leave on over night if its really cold. Also we dont put the roof up which keeps heat in. Been ice and snow outside and we've been fine, did get ice on inside of front window however.

________________________________________________________________________________
Matt.

winter - Winter camping Img_2014
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 8:27 am

We agree, the pop top is the biggest heat loss area so keeping it closed helps keep the heat in. We have an oil radiator that helps a bit but our best investment was a £20 electric under blanket from Argos.

We have a regular blanket over the bed/seats, the heated one on top of that and a regular sheet on top of that and it works a treat.

The first time we used it (November 2012 in East Anglia) we had to wait for the bed to cool down before we could get in!

It does mean that hookup is a must, but the combination of radiator and blankets keeps all of the snow and ice on the outside, Tallulah has been used all year round.

________________________________________________________________________________
www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Baylee

Baylee

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 8:14 pm

We have a 1kw oil filled radiator, they have a built in thermostat so it just clicks on and off when needed.
Thermal window mats will help reduce heat loss out the windows, as long as you can get them to stick properly.
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 8:20 pm

We doo agree with Matt's comments.
However, Scooby will take us out for days over the winter, but we do not generally camp.
We doo not now expect to be camping until March next year at the earliest.
Roo b Roo
jocolor

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

Cabin : Exec 055

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Okay, so I am taking the winter camping plunge in Devon just as the temperatures decide to take a dip. On the advice of forum members I have my oil filled radiator, electric blanket, thermal screens, kettle and single malt. Why I am so excited about freezing my hind off I don't know.. It's the camper effect I think! Wish me luck folks!
Back to top Go down
gordonmac

gordonmac

Cabin : Exec 029

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Electric Blanket!! That is genius - don't know why I didn't think of it - am going straight out to buy one!
Back to top Go down
osg

osg

Cabin : Exec 015

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Best of luck, Hemlock
Roobarb's tip - of at bedtime, standing up the unfolded buddy-seat cushion across the inside of the tailgate - works a treat
osg
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Thank you roobarb, every degree helps!
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 10:29 am

We find having a fat schnauzer on the bed helps too...

winter - Winter camping 10380711

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Gina Tonic

Gina Tonic

Cabin : Exec 020

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 am

We also have the small oil filled radiator which is fab. The pop top gets cold for Phoebe so she now has a toasty electric blanket (thanks to Mrs harry hornet for that tip on last years halloween bash).
Back to top Go down
Matt

Matt

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 3:25 pm

We started off with an oil filled radiator but found it not very good so got an electric convector heater which is much better.

Matt.

winter - Winter camping Img_2014

Last edited by Matt on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scooby

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Matt wrote:
We started off with an oil filled radiator but found it not very good so got an electric heater which is much better.

. . . and if you have already paid for the hook all electric heating is free!

It is also the same if you have an electric kettle instead of using your own gas cheers

Proud winners of Spike's Trophy 2017

bounce Scooby - Born To Run  bounce
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 8:50 pm

I am pleased to report that with all the top tips my first intro to winter camping was an unqualified success.. Apart from the fact that I should have chosen a site with 'facilities' !
Back to top Go down
harryhornet

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 11:48 am

Well done ! I expect you battled more with rain than cold. What facilities did you lack?
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 11:23 am

It was a field with a view and hook up but nothing else! Very glad that Mabel has a fully fitted buddy seat Surprised
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyMon Dec 01, 2014 2:05 pm

While we out and about this weekend, popped into Dunelm Mill and got one of these.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/white-ptc-heater-484681

It is really compact, and has two heat settings 750 and 1500 watt. It also doubles as a fan for those heat-waves we are going to get.  Smile

Already used it to dry out Pats Mini, which can get a bit damp inside this time of the year.

Unfortunately it only comes in white, or with a red trim.
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 pm

It was a field. With a view. Nowt else!
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Hemlock wrote:
It was a field.  With a view.  Nowt else!

It had a sharp looking BraziBay parked up in it. What else did it need?!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

winter - Winter camping Melogo11
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 9:43 am

Any more tips on winter camping? We're kitted out with fan heater, radiator and electric blanket, but I was wondering whether it is practical to use an awning or canopy, or whether it is better to travel light and just use the van.
Back to top Go down
Hemlock

Hemlock

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 am

Given that there has been no let up in the wind these winter months, I have avoided using the awning.

The only other useful addition in my view would be some form of dehumidifier as there is no heat most winter mornings to help clear the van's windows and they get even more drippy than they are in the summer months!

I have a windscreen one http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/976217/reviews.htm which while less effective than the plastic tubs presents no risk of being kicked over or anything in the night!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 am

No longer available from halfords
Back to top Go down
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

I bought a larger version of this electriQ de-humidifier for my daughter when my granddaughter was suffering with a chest infection, and found it very good.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/md280/amcor-md280-dehumidifier

Only drawback is that you will need a hook-up, but I was amazed how much water they removed from the atmosphere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyTue Feb 02, 2016 11:15 am

Nice one dl...thanks
Back to top Go down
Voyager

Voyager

Cabin : Flight 044

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping EmptyWed Feb 03, 2016 7:56 am

Any more suggestions? I'm particularly wondering whether to take the awning or canopy when we go down to Goodwood. At the moment I'm thinking that given the strong possibility of wind and/or rain, and that we'll be out for the whole day on Saturday, I won't bother about the awning and just take the canopy in case it seems practical to use it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter camping   winter - Winter camping Empty

Back to top Go down

Winter camping
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next