brazilianvwbay.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.brazilianvwkombi.com

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Got a query? Please use the Search Function to find the answers!
14 years of BraziBay fun!!
We're all about the volkswagenT2kombi
It's smiles more fun in a BraziBay!

assigning private registration number

Go down 
+6
kiteman
beakyboy
Sunny
Bumble
Surfwagen Stan
RayC
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RayC

RayC

Cabin : Club

number - assigning private registration number Empty
PostSubject: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Hi All

has anyone put a private number onto a car before, I have bought one for the T2 but have some questions, which I couldn't find on the DVLA site

Do you have to wait until the new V5 comes back with the new number before telling insurance company and putting new number plates on?
Back to top Go down
http://treadltd@gmail.com
Surfwagen Stan

Surfwagen Stan

Cabin : Exec 047

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

I called them anyway to find out the process. They charged an admin fee. As soon as I got the doc back I put the plates on and told them. If you have a tracker, give them a call as well.

Back to top Go down
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 pm

My son changed his recently and bought the new plates before the V5 arrived. I phoned the insurance company after that; they (Aviva) didn't charge a fee cheers
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

Cabin : Exec 050

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Just be aware that if you put on the new plates before confirmation from DVLA, you run the risk of being "spotted" by all those wonderful number plate recognition cameras we have littered around our byways and had for not being valid. Just in case your application got lost in the post or DVLA monkeys are working slowly
Back to top Go down
beakyboy

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 4:22 pm

We were told to wait until the V5 was returned , so we did...
I'd wait personally as completely agree with Sunny's comments...

________________________________________________________________________________
Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin' Golden Cocker  sunny
Back to top Go down
RayC

RayC

Cabin : Club

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyThu Mar 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks guys

the actual process doesn't look too bad form what I've found

post V5 + MOT + Reg doc to DVLA that's it, seems strange they need your MOT with it being online nowadays
Back to top Go down
http://treadltd@gmail.com
Bumble

Bumble

Cabin : Exec 049

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 12:56 am

RayC wrote:
Thanks guys

the actual process doesn't look too bad form what I've found

post V5 + MOT + Reg doc to DVLA that's it, seems strange they need your MOT with it being online nowadays

You get a new MOT certificate with the new registration number on it.

I agree about waiting; my son is 18 (and impatient); Halfords even made up the number plates without the V5 affraid
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 8:11 am

Bumble wrote:
Halfords even made up the number plates without the V5 affraid

Probably ok with the V750 but think they might have broken the law without some documentation to confirm entitlement.
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 1:43 pm

I've had plates made from online companies and have never been asked for document confirmation

________________________________________________________________________________
number - assigning private registration number Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 8:13 am

kiteman wrote:
I've had plates made from online companies and have never been asked for document confirmation
yes, there are companies around that will do this but it is my understanding of the (UK) law that two forms of documentation are require; one to prove identity and one to prove relationship with the number. Minor inconvenience at times but obviously to prevent Johnny Scoundrel from simply cloning your number to avoid speeding penalties etc. Seems it's one of the easier laws to circumvent.
Back to top Go down
Tallulah

Tallulah

Cabin : Flight 011

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 8:35 am

I've had two rear plates made up by difference companies.

One for the trailer and as I was hiring a trailer at the time (ours wasn't finished) I had already shown my driving license, but not asked for anything else. The other for a light board, wasn't asked for any ID at all and paid cash.

Seems like an easy way to avoid points and parking tickets....

www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
Twitter: @AlpineGrove
Facebook: facebook.com/alpinegrovetouringpark
                                                      Former owners of the amazing Tallulah (2011 to 2021)
Proud winners of Spikes Trophy, 2016.
Freedom, in style...
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinegrovetouringpark.com
dizzylizard

dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

This is the legal stuff, technically if the company doesn't comply, they commit offences and can be fined. Some of the on-line companies are based in S. Ireland, and this is how they get round it.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/getting-number-plates-made-up
Back to top Go down
TimV
Admin
TimV

Cabin : Flight 001

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 9:12 am

I get my plates online and never have to prove anything! Nor do I put a postcode along the bottom.

The one and only time I've been stopped about my number plates was when I had run out of black screw caps and used a yellow cap over a black letter, which the fuzz thought made it look like another letter! Bonkers!

Max SportsKombi - The Bay Racer Wink
@brazilianvwbay

number - assigning private registration number Melogo11
Back to top Go down
kiteman

kiteman

Cabin : Exec 002

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 11:08 am

Sunny wrote:
one to prove identity and one to prove relationship with the number.

Is that a new registration question.

What is your relationship with this number?

Single
Cohabiting
Married
Divorced
Widowed

number - assigning private registration number Img_4810

Ginger man without a ginger van  sunny
Back to top Go down
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Why does there have to be a "divorced", why can't it be married or single? What's with the need to classify someone divorced? (Sorry, got caught up in this somewhere and had a right rant with someone)
Back to top Go down
AbsintheKombi

AbsintheKombi

Cabin : Exec 013

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Easy, Chris. Let it go. Now breathe...

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Blog: C13MPR

Finalist in the Caravan Club Caravanner of the Year Competition 2016

Star Kombi Winner 2015
Back to top Go down
http://www.c13mpr.com
Sunny

Sunny

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm

AbsintheKombi wrote:
Easy, Chris. Let it go. Now breathe...
Think it's more; let it go, here I stand and here I'll stay, let the storm rage on.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: assigning private registration number   number - assigning private registration number Empty

Back to top Go down

assigning private registration number
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
brazilianvwbay.com :: The Usual Stuff :: General Discussion-
Jump to: